OT: Team Defence Discussion - 2022/23

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
We need help no doubt.Their are a few UFA's in off-season that could be worth it but not sure we can wait long for help.

Structure and system is flawed, said this for 3 years now.

This won't fix issue but may help, let's bring in Methot with Redden as consultant! Jack has lost control of the defense.

I think the only 3 free agents this offseason (2023) that would fit the mold we want for a RHD are:

Damon Severson - 28
Scott Mayfield - 30
Matt Dumba - 28

I don't really think Dumba fits what the team wants out of a D like that, we have Offensive weapons in Chabot-Sanderson-Brannstrom, so looking for either mobile guys who can chip in (Severson for sure) or a defensive stalwart that can get physical.

I would absolutely love it if it turns out Sanderson has a decent shot as well, cause nobody on this D currently does, but we haven't really seen Sanderson's enough to make a judgment call.

Reactions: NB613 and Yak

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I think the only 3 free agents this offseason (2023) that would fit the mold we want for a RHD are:

Damon Severson - 28
Scott Mayfield - 30
Matt Dumba - 28

I don't really think Dumba fits what the team wants out of a D like that, we have Offensive weapons in Chabot-Sanderson-Brannstrom, so looking for either mobile guys who can chip in (Severson for sure) or a defensive stalwart that can get physical.

I would absolutely love it if it turns out Sanderson has a decent shot as well, cause nobody on this D currently does, but we haven't really seen Sanderson's enough to make a judgment call.
Carson Soucy is another name to keep a eye on. Dumba will probably get big $$$.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I’ll bet Hamonic gets resigned unless JBD is ready. We still need a top 4 RHD.

I don’t know if outback”offensive D” are actually generating enough offence.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Doesn’t matter who we play. High powered offenses or not. Once the puck is in our zone it is absolute pandemonium.

Reactions: Yak

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Doesn’t matter who we play. High powered offenses or not. Once the puck is in our zone it is absolute pandemonium.
I only saw that from the Holden and Zaitsev pair, just couldn’t make a play with the puck on their sticks. I actually like the physical play Zaitsev brings but he is so terrible with the puck it’s a big net negative.

Reactions: Yak

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I only saw that from the Holden and Zaitsev pair, just couldn’t make a play with the puck on their sticks. I actually like the physical play Zaitsev brings but he is so terrible with the puck it’s a big net negative.
He’s quite bad without the puck. He brings physicality but it rarely helps him in helping us

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Damon Severson - 28
Scott Mayfield - 30
Matt Dumba - 28
It'd be nice to get Mayfield in FA. I figure he'd probably receive a deal similar to David Savard, 3-4 years at $3-3.5 million aav. Would love Dumba but doubt we can afford him. Wouldn't mind try to acquire him if we offer Zaitsev and a B level prospect so the Wild have a bit more cap flexibility (they might just keep him as their own rental)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He’s quite bad without the puck. He brings physicality but it rarely helps him in helping us
Really Zaitsev would be an ideal 7th D on a Boucher 11-7 config. Z go out and kill penalties while the other D with puck skills rest.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
It'd be nice to get Mayfield in FA. I figure he'd probably receive a deal similar to David Savard, 3-4 years at $3-3.5 million aav. Would love Dumba but doubt we can afford him. Wouldn't mind try to acquire him if we offer Zaitsev and a B level prospect so the Wild have a bit more cap flexibility (they might just keep him as their own rental)
Bro did you really just suggest Zeitsev and a B prospect for Dumba? Common that's a kindergarten trade proposal. Zeitsev COSTS to move, a 2nd but prob more to clear him. A B prospect isn't worth a tdl rental or 1 year of Dumba.

Give your head a shake.

I'd be desperate after Mayfield, and that's probably 2 2nds right now with how many teams are desperate for RHD. Yes I know 2 2nds got Toews but Lou is an idiot...

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Bro did you really just suggest Zeitsev and a B prospect for Dumba? Common that's a kindergarten trade proposal. Zeitsev COSTS to move, a 2nd but prob more to clear him. A B prospect isn't worth a tdl rental or 1 year of Dumba.

Give your head a shake.

I'd be desperate after Mayfield, and that's probably 2 2nds right now with how many teams are desperate for RHD. Yes I know 2 2nds got Toews but Lou is an idiot...
Offer Zaitsev, Formenton, Sokolov and a 2024 1st. Maybe the cap savings help.

I can't give my head a shake, I'm dealing with a 3rd concussion and i'm living in fantasyland, just want Zaitsev gon lol

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Beside systems. Zaitsev is the problem. We are losing games by one goal and I see Zaitsev on the ice for a a lot of goals against. The players see his shit play and then question DJ's decision making. Zaitsev will cost him his job and Dorion needs to fix this shit and send him to the AHL. I rather have JBD/Heatherington combo.

The Zaitsev patience has run the course and DJ sticking up for him today made him look bad. I know he is not going to throw him under the bus but don't lie to media and the fans.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Offer Zaitsev, Formenton, Sokolov and a 2024 1st. Maybe the cap savings help.

I can't give my head a shake, I'm dealing with a 3rd concussion and i'm living in fantasyland, just want Zaitsev gon lol
You know what, that's fair. 2024 1st is hard to give up though. They'd want even more ontop of that. I like your dream though, one day we'll get him on that rocket to the sun 😂

Reactions: bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad