WJC: Team Canada to use artificial light to deal with the "24 hours of darkness" in Ufa

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Hockey Canada is pulling out all the stops to make sure the focus remains on the ice. Team chefs are tagging along to prepare familiar food while the outfit has even hired sleep experts and purchased special tanning lamps to help players adjust to the climate in the southern Russian city, near the Kazakhstan border.

"We're probably dealing with 24 hours of darkness," said Spott. "Our bodies are motivated by light. We have a pretty detailed plan on how we will deal with that, with some artificial light during the day."
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/wjc2013-team-canada-girds-24-hours-darkness-ufa-165918451.html

Really??

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Ufa doesn't get 24 hour nights.

Of course they don't! It's roughly on the same latitude as Edmonton and I doubt they were fussing around with lamps last year.

The whole thing is so over the top and ignorant that I found it funny. But I love it though, brings back that whole Cold War mentality back a bit. Going deep into unknown heartland Russia, equipped with Kraft dinner and lamps!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Spott is a hockey coach and apparently not up on world geography. But people at Hockey Canada having sent teams to Ufa previously to play should be aware of where and what Ufa is.. Taking their own chefs on tournaments is standard practice for Hockey Canada to any country, but if they have invested in lamps to combat the effects of 24 hour darkness in Ufa, then whoever dispelled that gem of wisdom to HC should be fired immediately. they are paying for some real lousy advice.. Of course I've been saying for years that the people working at Hockey Canada are intellectually challenged, so if it were in fact true, I wouldn't be all that surprised.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
On December 26th, Ufa will get 7 hours and 15 minutes of daylight. Edmonton, for comparison, will get 7 hours and 29 minutes. What the **** is Hockey Canada going on about?:laugh:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
If true this is kind of embarrassing. I mean Ufa is like what, 800-900 miles south of the arctic circle? The latitude is roughly the same as the German-Danish border, I think. :laugh:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Hopefully he won't forget to tell the good old Canadian kids not to drink from vodka rivers.

Steve Spott leading Team Canada to Ufa Arena:
balrog16.jpg

Last edited:

Fulcrum

Haha, I thought they were joking when I heard it on the radio the other day, but then I realized they were serious?! Oh man this is hillarious

The should bring their beds too, lol. The ones in Russia can seriously hurt sleep patterns as they are very different.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
While most of Sweden really is dark during that time, I am happy to tell worried Canadians that the WJC 13'-14' host city Malmö is located at the southern part of Sweden, almost as far south as you get. IMO we should have placed the event in Luleå though....or maybe Kiruna, at an outdoor rink.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Perhaps he means when the fly in? Maybe they're leaving in the darkness and then getting there when it is dark again. Leaving + plane is dark + getting there once it gets dark in Ufa? I don't know.

Fulcrum

Perhaps he means when the fly in? Maybe they're leaving in the darkness and then getting there when it is dark again. Leaving + plane is dark + getting there once it gets dark in Ufa? I don't know.

no I'm pretty sure he meant for the duration of the tournament

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
no I'm pretty sure he meant for the duration of the tournament

As I wrote in a previous post, HC has sent teams to Ufa before, 2007 albeit it was summer summit series, but I think they are at HC familiar with Ufa for what it is and isn't.... It was a pretty moronic statement for the coach to say if in fact he did say it... I know they are playing some pre-tourny games in Finland, whether it's northern Finland he was referring to, who knows... maybe the journalist has a beef with the coach and wants to make him look like an idiot...job well done... who knows what goes on in these kinds of scrums.... totally stupid thing to say though..and if HC actually has lamps to take the Ufa, then HC is even dumber than their coach....

I was going to say one of the U18 IIHF championships was recently played in Ufa, but that was Kazan. Nevertheless HC should be familiar with that neck of the words.

BTW I've been to Ufa 3 times. and it is a nice city.

Fulcrum

I hope that the organizers provide Spetsnaz Units for when the Dancing Russian bears and Tigers decide to attack them in the streets :)

I find it funny when they say "It's a FOUR hour flight from Moscow!"

Wow, so that is like the same distance from Toronto to Calgary/Vancouver haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: