Team Canada Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
jcpenny said:
I'm black an i say that its about time! Maybe it will encourage more black to play hockey instead of footbll and basketball. I'm a football playr myself but if my parents had the money i would have been a darn good hockey player.

I think it's a great thing for hockey. Speaking from a fan standpoint, blacks will be much more inclined to follow hockey if they have several black role models to cheer for. There is a considerable amount of America that considers itself racially unqualified to support hockey. Hopefully that will change.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Tray, you did not deserve the initial reaction you received, and I'm glad some posters have responded in your defense. The question is indeed relevant, and legitimate. A color-blind society is not the only way to rid the world of racism. IMO, we should embrace and recognize diversity, not ignore it. Racism has to do with hate and ignorance, not awareness of ones heritage.

We are not the Borg. We do not insist on assimilation.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:
Are some of you so naive that you honestly feel nobody notices cultural differences? It's one thing to disrespect others because they are different but it's not wrong to acknowledge it.

Three black players playing on our national team is a significant accomplishment and a strong indication of how hockey isn't neccessarily a Saskatchewan farm boy sport anymore. Do you think young black players don't find inspiration in their accomplishments?

Willie O’Ree scored 4 goals in his NHL career. Unless he was a relative or from your home town you'd never even have heard of him if he wasn't black. Yet he is a significant part of hockey history and what he did opened so many doors for people that he is still considered a hero. Are you saying he shouldn't be given any credit for what he accomplished just because he was black??

This is the stupidest display of anti-racist overreaction I've ever seen. Get over yourselves. The guy asked a simple question about something that is significant and interesting and you jump all over him from the top of your high perch because you think you are defending minorities from a vicious attack at the hands of racist.
Wonderfully said.

leafaholix*

Other obvious minorities that have played for Canada...

Paul Kariya - Japanese Canadian
Jordan Tootoo - Native Canadian
Jason Doig - Not sure.
Maxime Fortunas - He may have been cut.
Raffi Torres - Parents moved to Canada from Portugal
Manny Malhotra - Indian/Caucasion Canadian
Mike Ribeiro - I believe his parents also moved from Portugal
Jarome Iginla - African American/Canada.
Manny Fernandez - Not sure... possibly Mexican.

Avery4Byng*

Baron Von Shark said:
Tray, you did not deserve the initial reaction you received, and I'm glad some posters have responded in your defense. The question is indeed relevant, and legitimate. A color-blind society is not the only way to rid the world of racism. IMO, we should embrace and recognize diversity, not ignore it. Racism has to do with hate and ignorance, not awareness of ones heritage.

We are not the Borg. We do not insist on assimilation.

thank you. i was kind of shocked at the feedback I got at first. but whatever. people overreact and i know for a fact it was a simple question. life goes on, as does the hopes of a gold medal for canada. :yo:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I know this thread is about Canada, but the U.S. has had a couple players of African-American descent compete for it internationally at the junior level recently: Robbie Earl and Gerald Coleman.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Tray - I am just glad that you (eventually) got your question answered by someone with a brain.

The attacks on the question are among the silliest - or most immature - or both - responses to a simple question I have seen.

At least an attempt to engage brain before putting fingers in motion would be a good idea for some of those who responded.

go pierre hedin said:
Other obvious minorities that have played for Canada...

Paul Kariya - Japanese Canadian
Jordan Tootoo - Native Canadian
Jason Doig - Not sure.
Maxime Fortunas - He may have been cut.
Raffi Torres - Parents moved to Canada from Portugal
Manny Malhotra - Indian/Caucasion Canadian
Mike Ribeiro - I believe his parents also moved from Portugal
Jarome Iginla - African American/Canada.
Manny Fernandez - Not sure... possibly Mexican.

Torres's parents actually came to Canada from Mexico and Peru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad