Team Canada Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

The Messenger said:
How or why is that relevant???

They are all just Hockey players ... RIGHT...

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TMHUNH said:
Not to mention the fact that they wouldn't actually be African American players now would they?? :)

In fact they are neither African nor American...just good old Canadian kids..

Shawn Belle was born in Edmonton, AB
Nigel Dawes was born in Winnipeg, MB
Anthony Stewart was born in Scarborough, ON

No Americans on Team Canada ....

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Canadian Chris said:
What does the question and it being relevant have to do with anything? It's a simple question...how do you know he is not writing a paper that deals with race in hockey?

Then maybe he should do his own research, and hopefully he does not write an article with intensions of sending it to the Mickey Mouse Club....

Last edited:

Avery4Byng*

Whatever there guys its a simple question I was asking. Didnt mean to ruffle any feathers.

BCCHL inactive

The Messenger said:
Then maybe he should do his own research, and hopefully he does not write an article with intensions of sending it to the KKK....

I agree that the issue is irrelevant....but this comment was way too much.

You have no right to mention tray in the same breath as the KKK.

Avery4Byng*

Van said:
I agree that the issue is irrelevant....but this comment was way too much.

You have no right to mention tray in the same breath as the KKK.

Thanks Van. It was just a simple question im no racist or anything but just curious of something. owell.

Bud The Spud*

OMG, I don't think the guy was intending to make so many people upset. He was just curious. People need to calm down.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Voodoo Daddy said:
How many people on the team have blonde hair and blue eyes? Oh No! I'm an Aryan Nazi Commander!

People are so sensitive. I see nothing wrong with the thread. I was curious myself.

Exactly.

Maybe he's an African American himself and was just curious because the rise of black players in the junior and NHL ranks is rising, which is a good thing for hockey.

BCCHL inactive

Brock said:
Exactly.

Maybe he's an African American himself and was just curious because the rise of black players in the junior and NHL ranks is rising, which is a good thing for hockey.

I fail to see how it is good for hockey when the whole point of getting rid of racism is not recognizing race at all...but recognizing these people as human beings.

As far as I see it, anytime race is payed attention to, be it "good intentions" or not, it proves that racism still exists.

Canada Girl

Brock said:
Exactly.

Not to be picky or anything, but like another poster said, going from his location which is in Canada he would be an African Canadian.
And I agree, I didn't find anything wrong with the question either. I think this is great, showing some diversity on Team Canada.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Van said:
I fail to see how it is good for hockey when the whole point of getting rid of racism is not recognizing race at all...but recognizing these people as human beings.

As far as I see it, anytime race is payed attention to, be it "good intentions" or not, it proves that racism still exists.

It's about being proud of who you are essentially.

I'm sure there are a lot of people of Asian nationality whom love the game of hockey and look at Richard Park or Paul Kariya and feel proud of what they have accomplished.

The same way an african american can look at what is happening in the game of hockey and be proud.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Canada Girl said:
Not to be picky or anything, but like another poster said, going from his location which is in Canada he would be an African Canadian.
And I agree, I didn't find anything wrong with the question either. I think this is great, showing some diversity on Team Canada.

Well personally I don't consider the United States as simply just "American". When I say American, I mean a person who lives in North America, including both Canada and the U.S.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Van said:

That was exactly the point of my reply ....

If you ask a racial question, you have to expect that it could offend people... and therefore it was not right to ask it in the first place..

also we were making light of the African American phrase that he used because he chose those words to try to avoid other words that have stronger and racially attached connotations or may not be politically correct .. As these kids are Canadians and the other term is more relevant to an American Citizen born overseas..

and the point being its IRRELEVANT how many BLUE,GREEN or PURPLE guys are on the team....

BCCHL inactive

Canada Girl said:

When I think of diversity, I think of where the family's roots are from...not the colour of their skin.

A poor Italian family immigrating to Canada is just as significant as a poor family coming over from China, The Philippines or Uganda.

The Messenger said:
As these kids are Canadians and the other term is more relevant to an American Citizen born overseas..

I don't see it that way. When the term "American" is used, I ask the person using the term, "which one?".

We have North America, South America, although not an official continent, Central America...and the United States of America.

The term "African American" means a person of African descent who is a citizen of any of the Americas.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. A guy asks a simple question and he gets jumped all over. I hate to tell people, but asking whether this is the first time Canada has had 3 black players is not racist. I can't see how anybody could possibly be offended by that. Is somebody offended when Jackie Robinson is mentionned? If I was, say, one of the few Italian players ever to make Team Canada, I'd be proud of it. There's a difference between political correctness and lunacy.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
The Albino said:
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. A guy asks a simple question and he gets jumped all over. I hate to tell people, but asking whether this is the first time Canada has had 3 black players is not racist. I can't see how anybody could possibly be offended by that. Is somebody offended when Jackie Robinson is mentionned? If I was, say, one of the few Italian players ever to make Team Canada, I'd be proud of it. There's a difference between political correctness and lunacy.

You're totally correct.
If somebody asked how many white players were on the Dallas Mavericks, or how many white wide receivers there are in the NFL, would anybody give a crap? I don't think so.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
I'm black an i say that its about time! Maybe it will encourage more black to play hockey instead of footbll and basketball. I'm a football playr myself but if my parents had the money i would have been a darn good hockey player.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Are some of you so naive that you honestly feel nobody notices cultural differences? It's one thing to disrespect others because they are different but it's not wrong to acknowledge it.

Three black players playing on our national team is a significant accomplishment and a strong indication of how hockey isn't neccessarily a Saskatchewan farm boy sport anymore. Do you think young black players don't find inspiration in their accomplishments?

Willie O’Ree scored 4 goals in his NHL career. Unless he was a relative or from your home town you'd never even have heard of him if he wasn't black. Yet he is a significant part of hockey history and what he did opened so many doors for people that he is still considered a hero. Are you saying he shouldn't be given any credit for what he accomplished just because he was black??

This is the stupidest display of anti-racist overreaction I've ever seen. Get over yourselves. The guy asked a simple question about something that is significant and interesting and you jump all over him from the top of your high perch because you think you are defending minorities from a vicious attack at the hands of racist.

PEli*

The Albino said:

You can thank Dr. Phil and all of these other bleeding hearts for this stuff. The guy asks an honest question about Canada having some good black players. What's the big deal? The fact that there are three on the team proves that racism is fading.

Irrelevent? To some of you, maybe. To others, this is an important issue.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The Albino said:

Are Albinos allowed to use this thread? (just kidding, I couldn't resist, apologies to all etc. etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad