Fraser Dixon MacArthur
Perry

Phaneuf-Weber
Coburn-Barker
Seabrook(?)-Syvert
Quincy-Belle

Glass
Beauchemin

The only thing that seems funny there is Perry as an extra.
Also I don't think you'll see the Crosby line get 2nd line icetime. From reading
between the lines of Sutter quotes I would guess it will be more like 3rd
or 4th.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

Those lines look very preliminary to me. IMO Perry and maybe even MacArthur would provide more offense on a line with Crosby and Bergeron. If I'm Sutter, Perry takes Colliton's spot and Colliton takes MacArthur's place making Clarke the 13th forward and forming the tournaments most dominant checking line Fraser-Dixon-Colliton!!!

I'm suprised with the goaltending decisions, personally I was expecting a Nastiuk and Dubnyk duo...I guess this just speaks for the goalie depth in the dub. The defense will be solid regardless of which six get the nod and who pairs up with who.

Go TEAM...

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Perry will be on that Crosby line at some point, he isn't going to sit in the stands all tournament as the 13th Forward.

ajsonor

Jun 11, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
While I don't know where Clarke MacArthur is going to play, I assume that he got an edge by being a WHL boy and the coach knows what he plays like night in and night out. If he starts out as the 13th forward or 4th line, I wouldn't be suprised to see him inserted into a top-6 position if someone isn't playing acceptable.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
McDonald19 said:
Perry will be on that Crosby line at some point, he isn't going to sit in the stands all tournament as the 13th Forward.
Why?

Corey Perry playing isn't a sure thing. He was on the bubble the entire time and had to have a huge game to get himself named to the team. I could see him being the 13th forward, it isn't a lock he will play.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
Why?

Corey Perry playing isn't a sure thing. He was on the bubble the entire time and had to have a huge game to get himself named to the team. I could see him being the 13th forward, it isn't a lock he will play.

There is the problem with the Canadian mentality. The Russians have beaten us many times by loading up a couple of great offensive lines and double shifting them in the big games. Perry is without a doubt (based on the OHL and camp) one of the top 3 offensive players on the team (with Bergeron and Crosby). If he's putting in the effort and producing there is no reason not to ride him.

The biggest ? on this team is still goaltending. I don't think TSN can toss around "best team ever" when they haven't played a single game, posted a single win, and when the goalies haven't been tested completely. I think this will be a great team, but I'm hoping it's an exciting team to watch as well. I hope Sutter doesn't put a plugger on each line to provide balance. Let the scorers score, the checkers check and the bangers bang. I think that "balance" has been costing Canada golds the last 7 years.

Winning is still the important thing. You can criticise a winning formula, but the formula being used the last few years has not been a winning one.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Watching Corey Perry in exhibition I must add he'll likely be a top scorer for Canada. He might not get a regular shift but has the skill to light it up the powerplay given the chance.

He made the team as a scoring right winger ahead of Fehr. This is the reason he's been on the bubble. Team Canada had to choose one of the two and Perry won the job. With 5 other guys that can play on the Right Wing (Colliton, Carter, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Stewart) only one of Fehr & Perry had a chance. It's possible Perry was chosen with the intention of being a top line winger and not simply a spare part or powerplay guy.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
MrMastodonFarm said:
Why?

Too talented to sit on his butt every game of the entire tournament. He will get his chance at some point.

He might even be in the lineup in game #1, no one knows for sure.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
He might even be in the lineup in game #1, no one knows for sure.

He'll be in the lineup for sure, teams can dress 22 players, it's just a matter of how much ice time he'll get and what kind of role he'll have on the team.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Hemsky4PM said:
The biggest ? on this team is still goaltending. I don't think TSN can toss around "best team ever" when they haven't played a single game, posted a single win, and when the goalies haven't been tested completely.

I don't know what TSN is thinking with this "best team ever" stuff, because I actually think outside of Crosby, Bergeron, and Phaneuf, this team is somewhat underwhelming.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Epsilon said:
I don't know what TSN is thinking with this "best team ever" stuff, because I actually think outside of Crosby, Bergeron, and Phaneuf, this team is somewhat underwhelming.

Well that answers a lot of questions I had about you .... ;)

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I think a lot of peope are getting caught up in the fact that Crosby is uber-hyped, Bergeron played in the show last season, and there are a number of guys who almost certainly would be in the NHL this year had it not been for the lockout. Hell, players who weren't even invited to camp (especially Alex Picard - CBUS) had a good chance to play in the NHL this year - source, Columbus GM Doug MacLean, personal interview, largely posted on the main web-site.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
pei fan said:
Bob MacKenzie posted the lines the following way:

Dawes Richards Stewart
Crosby Bergeron Colliton
Ladd Carter Getzlaf
Fraser Dixon MacArthur
Perry

Phaneuf-Weber
Coburn-Barker
Seabrook(?)-Syvert
Quincy-Belle

Glass
Beauchemin

Also I don't think you'll see the Crosby line get 2nd line icetime. From reading
or 4th.

I really hope Carter doesn't have to play with Getzlaf again.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
pei fan said:
Bob MacKenzie posted the lines the following way:

Dawes Richards Stewart
Crosby Bergeron Colliton
Ladd Carter Getzlaf
Fraser Dixon MacArthur
Perry

Phaneuf-Weber
Coburn-Barker
Seabrook(?)-Syvert
Quincy-Belle

Glass
Beauchemin

or 4th.

I don't know much about the rest of the team, but I can tell you this:

If Bergeron can be a top-10 scorer with a good +- in the AHl, how can you see him on a 3rd or 4th line at the WJC???Also he was a 0.50 ppm in the NHL, who else in this roster proved better???

And the simple fact of neglecting Crosby for the top 2 lines is also ludicrous : he had 6 points in 5 games at this tournament as a 16 Yo. He is now 1 year older. Watch out!!!

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
GorillazXL said:
??? They were the best line for Canada.:dunno:

GXL

Until they stunk it up in teh final 20 of the godl medal game.

Hopefully Sutter has teh coaching abilitie to keep these guys focused for the full game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad