Olympics: Team Canada 2022, Part III

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Johnson didnt even play center at the WJC. These are the best pros not in the NHL Canada would be the best KHL team in the league, its better hockey than people understand.

I am looking forward to the games thanks for posting the lines. I like what I am seeing, the first line looks exciting. Disappointing to see Levi as the 3rd guy.

I've come around a bit to this team. Initially I just wanted a showcase of up and coming junior players such as the USA's approach and still see the merit of that, but I would have loathed seeing an even weaker team than what we could have put out on the international stage and get pasted by senior level Sweden and Finland. I now also think it's reasonably strong and should be expected to perform close to as well as recent WHC Canadian teams have relative to the competition that was brought here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I've come around a bit to this team. Initially I just wanted a showcase of up and coming junior players such as the USA's approach and still see the merit of that, but I would have loathed seeing an even weaker team than what we could have put out on the international stage and get pasted by senior level Sweden and Finland. I now also think it's reasonably strong and should be expected to perform close to as well as recent WHC Canadian teams have relative to the competition that was brought here.
I think they are pretty easily the 2nd best team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I disagree. Almost all nations will have teams consisting of top players from the european top leagues. That's also where the majority of the Canadian players earn their money. The mixed in NA based players aren't necessarily much better than the rest of the team. It's a good team but certainly not much better than what the Europeans are gonna ice. Canadians are also at a major disadvantage because most of them never played with any of their teammates before. Many didn't even know anybody before camp. Most Europeans have played with their teammates before on several occasions...many of them over years. The Chinese played together all season long.
The three biggest advantages for the Canadians I think are:

- Colliton
- Pasquale
- Staal

If Eric Staal is in the shape he should be to compete in this tournament, and I'm sure he is or he wouldn't have committed to the cause, then I think he's still a better topcenter than what most countries have.
Eddie Pasquale is I goalie I always felt could have stuck in the NHL if he got the chance. Somehow he didn't despite playing very well in the AHL. Maybe that will change after the tournament. He's just 31 which is no age for a goalie. He's certainly better than most countries starting goalie.
Jeremy Colliton may not be very popular in NA for some reason and I agree he's no Julien and made some mistakes coaching Chicago but to me he's shown enough to demonstrate he can coach at the highest level and he's certainly better than what most countries have behind the bench.

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
I guess all the speculation about how good (or bad) this team is will end in a few short hours. Should be a good litmus test. The first days results were surprising. The Rotten Olympians (or whatever) were less than overwhelming and didn't expect the CZE - DEN upset. I guess it really is wide open....find a hot goalie and ride.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Johnson didnt even play center at the WJC. These are the best pros not in the NHL Canada would be the best KHL team in the league, its better hockey than people understand.

I am looking forward to the games thanks for posting the lines. I like what I am seeing, the first line looks exciting. Disappointing to see Levi as the 3rd guy.
McTavish can play centre... the best pros not in the NHL is a perfect reason why Eric Staal probably shouldn't be on your first line. Good player to have in your bottom 6 but in a short tournament, I wouldn't stop him off on your first line.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I disagree. Almost all nations will have teams consisting of top players from the european top leagues. That's also where the majority of the Canadian players earn their money. The mixed in NA based players aren't necessarily much better than the rest of the team. It's a good team but certainly not much better than what the Europeans are gonna ice. Canadians are also at a major disadvantage because most of them never played with any of their teammates before. Many didn't even know anybody before camp. Most Europeans have played with their teammates before on several occasions...many of them over years. The Chinese played together all season long.
The three biggest advantages for the Canadians I think are:

- Colliton
- Pasquale
- Staal

If Eric Staal is in the shape he should be to compete in this tournament, and I'm sure he is or he wouldn't have committed to the cause, then I think he's still a better topcenter than what most countries have.
Eddie Pasquale is I goalie I always felt could have stuck in the NHL if he got the chance. Somehow he didn't despite playing very well in the AHL. Maybe that will change after the tournament. He's just 31 which is no age for a goalie. He's certainly better than most countries starting goalie.
Jeremy Colliton may not be very popular in NA for some reason and I agree he's no Julien and made some mistakes coaching Chicago but to me he's shown enough to demonstrate he can coach at the highest level and he's certainly better than what most countries have behind the bench.
If you look at the rosters the Canadian players that are there are from the top euro leagues surrounded by Mactavish, Staal, Power and Ho Sang. So I really don't understand your point in this regard. From a pedigree and talent stand point this team is probably second best. However I do agree that they have not had enough or as many reps together as the other teams. The thing they have going for them is the NHL ice and more leadership than the other teams.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
gotta love how some European fans were confident that Germany would beat Canada and then changed their minds very quickly.

good first game for canada, especially this being their first game together as a team.

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
Good start for us. A couple of caveats though, Germany plays really well with a lead. Getting those early goals set them totally off their game. A bit weird about Julien coming back. I like him as a coach but I thought he was done. Must be odd for Colliton, handed the job but then have it yanked back. Hope there are no distractions with him or the team over this flip-flop.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
A question to canadian fans. If your team won this tournament, would people really care? Or would it just be like "oh yeah cool, we won..."?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I can only speak for this Canadian fan. I cheer for any Canadian team and I always want them to win. I won't lose sleep if they lose but I'll be happy to see them win. It will be a fun tournament to watch and that's what it's all about.

Mara

May 10, 2011

This sport is so tiny and Canada such a juggernaut that they can send their D team and it will compete for gold in every contest. That's just the reality of it. Too bad the lack of NHL players is such a massive marketing failure on this tourney, but hopefully some of the "1.4 billion" Chinese eyes watching it get interested anyway.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I pay way less attention to this tournament than previous OGs with NHL players obviously. Previously I would invest in line combinations, discuss ice time, PP units, PK, goaltending coaching etc. Now I don't care for the details at all and won't watch these players again most likely, but I would still absolutely prefer Canada to win Gold. A Canadian team is still a Canadian team (well, unless it's team China here).

It actually makes casual watching much easier, I don't feel compelled to look any player or any detail up, just tune in for a period here and there, enjoy the game, cheer for a win. It must be what a very casual fan of a team would be and does feel relaxing to enjoy.

Reactions: Lartsaman

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
A question to canadian fans. If your team won this tournament, would people really care? Or would it just be like "oh yeah cool, we won..."?
The narrative is set up, if they win it was the Canadian equivalent of the miracle on ice, a group of glorified beer leaguers that went and did the impossible through sheer Canadian grit and determination. Nevermind they are the number 2 betting favorite and all countries are on a level playing field as far as not having their NHLers available. If they lose, well it was always a sham tournament that didn't matter anyways.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This sport is so tiny and Canada such a juggernaut that they can send their D team and it will compete for gold in every contest. That's just the reality of it. Too bad the lack of NHL players is such a massive marketing failure on this tourney, but hopefully some of the "1.4 billion" Chinese eyes watching it get interested anyway.
If it were Canadian no NHLers vs. every other country having their NHLers, Canada could likely still steal a spot into the Quarters, but it wouldn't be in contention for a Gold. This is just no Canadian NHLers vs. everyone else no NHLers either. Russia has a bit of a comparative edge as far as the KHL being a viable option for players there, but it's otherwise pretty even. Canada has the 2nd best roster on paper accordingly due to the depth and wide Canadian diaspora.

Reactions: Czechboy

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
If it were Canadian no NHLers vs. every other country having their NHLers, Canada could likely still steal a spot into the Quarters, but it wouldn't be in contention for a Gold. This is just no Canadian NHLers vs. everyone else no NHLers either. Russia has a bit of a comparative edge as far as the KHL being a viable option for players there, but it's otherwise pretty even. Canada has the 2nd best roster on paper accordingly due to the depth and wide Canadian diaspora.

Finland has the best team on paper in these game, Russia second. Canada probably 3rd.

Reactions: Czechboy

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Staal should be in the bottom 6.

Ho-Sang, Johnson and Mctavish should be the first line. All 3 are game breakers. O,Dell Knight and another forward should be the second line.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
It would be like when we win the World Championships.

It’s fun for the rest of the day and then we forget about it.

Really? You carry a WHC win around with you for the rest of the day?

Once the hardware is handed out and our glorious anthem is sung, I usually forget all in the time it takes for me to switch off the TV and walk out onto the deck to fire up the barbeque. I was so grateful for the IIHF to push back the start date of this tourney to coincide more with the start of BBQ season. In my neck of the woods April is kinda dicey weather wise. But end of May? Perfect to get some afternoon Team Canada action with a grilled steak and some brews waiting for that evening's NHL playoff action.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angry Little Elf

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Really? You carry a WHC win around with you for the rest of the day?

Once the hardware is handed out and our glorious anthem is sung, I usually forget all in the time it takes for me to switch off the TV and walk out onto the deck to fire up the barbeque. I was so grateful for the IIHF to push back the start date of this tourney to coincide more with the start of BBQ season. In my neck of the woods April is kinda dicey weather wise. But end of May? Perfect to get some afternoon Team Canada action with a grilled steak and some brews waiting for that evening's NHL playoff action.

Sure, it’s like having a good brunch - sets the tone for the rest of the day.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad