Olympics: Team Canada 2022, Part III

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think its a young mans game. I wouldn't take an entire team of world jrs but I'd take a lot more youth than they did.

Overagers like McBain, Ho-Sang, Levi, Knight, Staal, O'Dell are guys i'd be fine with. But when you have so many vets that you're relying on Staal to be a first liner, you should probably look else where for scoring.

Personally, I've seen better guys in the OHL than some of the players that Canada have out there. Maybe theres better vets that didn't get an invite but based on what I'm seeing, its hard to see why Canada picked someone like Barberio when theres a handful of better guys in Junior / NCAA that would probably be better.
How did you watch the WJC then come to the conclusion that there are better players in the OHL..... Honestly how? Power and Mactavish looked literally unstoppable at that level. Here they don't even stand out. It's quite obviously way way way faster.

I do think Levi should be playing and more ice time should be rewarded for players that are playing well but let's not go over board here.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
How did you watch the WJC then come to the conclusion that there are better players in the OHL..... Honestly how? Power and Mactavish looked literally unstoppable at that level. Here they don't even stand out. It's quite obviously way way way faster.

I do think Levi should be playing and more ice time should be rewarded for players that are playing well but let's not go over board here.
Power and McTavish looked unstoppable in two games against one team that probably would've been relegated and another that would consider it a success if they made it to the final 4. Not exactly a large sample size there. It's also a pretty silly way of looking at things. Based on your own argument, you'd think the world jr players would all have to be better than those at the olympics because Slafkovský was pointless in two games and has 5 goals in the olympics. Kent Johnson is a good example of a young guy who performed at both the JR and SR level almost identically. Comparing two different tournaments is just nonsensical, especially considering one of them didn't even have more than a few games played.

I'm not saying EVERY player in the OHL is better, I'm saying there are a handful better. People said that it was unreasonable in 2018 to think Alex DeBrincat could play for USA because he only played in the OHL before. What ended up happening? Debcrincat didn't go to the olympics not because he was not good enough but because he was too good and ended up playing in the NHL and putting up 50 points. There are plenty of college / CHL players that are better than aging depth guys who play in the swiss league. How are you going to tell me that someone who will be in the NHL by October is not good enough for this team? I'm not saying every vet is bad, Knight has been great for this team and hes a top 3 scorer in a decent league like KHL but there's a handful of ex nhlers who are here on name value alone.

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
TC not evening advancing into the Semi Round is poor coaching and team preparation.
LIKE I SAID, there are :

1. too many semi-retired players on an olympic competition.
2. failure to correct line 1.
3. failure to assemble a proper line 4 (full semi-retired players). They do not have a lot left for this kind of competition.

Solutions :

1. HC needs to hire proper hockey consultant(people with more grey matter).
2. A capable consultant would be to tell them that their 4th line and 1st line did not have enough juice to tip the ice on their side against Team Sweden, USA, Finland, or ROC.

They could easily realize this by making some minor adjustment:

Line :

McBain Tambellini Knight
MacTavish Weal Ho- Sang
Street O'Dell Johnson
Winnik Staal Veronneau

You cannot have too many players who are 35 and over (semi-retired).

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
TC not evening advancing into the Semi Round is poor coaching and team preparation.
LIKE I SAID, there are :

1. too many semi-retired players on an olympic competition.
2. failure to correct line 1.
3. failure to assemble a proper line 4 (full semi-retired players). They do not have a lot left for this kind of competition.

Solutions :

1. HC needs to hire proper hockey consultant(people with more grey matter).
2. A capable consultant would be to tell them that their 4th line and 1st line did not have enough juice to tip the ice on their side against Team Sweden, USA, Finland, or ROC.

They could easily realize this by making some minor adjustment:

Line :

McBain Tambellini Knight
MacTavish Weal Ho- Sang
Street O'Dell Johnson
Winnik Staal Veronneau

You cannot have too many players who are 35 and over (semi-retired).
It was pretty clear the effort put into this thing was almost non existent, shame on Hockey Canada, that's just inexcusable.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Right now:

Huberdaeu - McDavid - Mackinnon
Stamkos - Point - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
O Reilly - Kadri - Stone

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Not that it matters anymore, but remember when Leaf fans freaked out over Marner having bad luck for 4 games and saying he should never be on this team?

That’s why we don’t listen to Leafs fans about any of their players.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Duchene-McDavid-Stone
Huberdeau-MacKinnon-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Kyrou
Stamkos-Point-Batherson
Kadri, Reinhart, Scheifele, Thomas, Tavares, Bergeron, O’Rielly, Barzal…

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Doughty
Weegar-Ekblad
Letang, Rielly, Dobson, Chabot, Pietrangelo…

Kuemper
Jarry
Hart

Sigh. What a team we would have put forward this year, no matter how you choose to jig the lines.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Duchene-McDavid-Stone
Huberdeau-MacKinnon-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Kyrou
Stamkos-Point-Batherson
Kadri, Reinhart, Scheifele, Thomas, Tavares, Bergeron, O’Rielly, Barzal…

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Doughty
Weegar-Ekblad
Letang, Rielly, Dobson, Chabot, Pietrangelo…

Kuemper
Jarry
Hart

Sigh. What a team we would have put forward this year, no matter how you choose to jig the lines.
Letang has to be one of the 6 d starting. 62 points in 70 games. this guy never stops producing points. does it year after year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad