Team Board Mock Draft

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Can you posts the percentages and/or runners up so we can get a good feeling of fanbase leanings? If It isn't too much trouble.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
This is good and much appreciated work; were you planning on doing the rest of the first round?

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Nice work, thanks for doing this.

Bruins fans really seem torn about whether to go with a forward or a dman ;)

Fulcrum

If Buffalo drafts a Russian - even its Khoklachev, I'll be watching the weather network all day to see if hell freezes over.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
If Buffalo drafts a Russian - even its Khoklachev, I'll be watching the weather network all day to see if hell freezes over.

I thought that hell was already a frozen place for Russians? :sarcasm: ...But yes, Buffalo hasn't drafted a single European during the last 4 years, so it would be a surprise.

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
Isn't it a Rutherford organizational policy to not pick a defenseman in the first round? The Canes will not pick a defenseman, I think.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nice work, thanks for doing this.

Bruins fans really seem torn about whether to go with a forward or a dman ;)

Well if none of the top forwards are their and one of the top defenseman is then it becomes a really easy choice.

If Mikka Z or Ryan Strome were suddenly there, then it is a much harder choice. But to me and a lot of others this is a 9 player draft. I like a couple of the other defenseman, but not thrilled with some of the forwards most mentioned after 9 (Armia, McNeil, Bartschi, although I do love Schiefele)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Given what was available and the way we've followed Windsor this year, a crafty offensive player who can play in the middle who had some early success with Kassian back in the fall. That said, he's an OHLer -- the Sabres go hard into the CHL and have a lot of their eyes on the OHL specifically. If things break like they do with how this mock went, he's a choice.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Isn't it a Rutherford organizational policy to not pick a defenseman in the first round? The Canes will not pick a defenseman, I think.

i'm not sure if it's a policy or just a coincidence, but i'd sure as hell be betting on the canes taking a WHL or OHL forward in the first.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
i'm not sure if it's a policy or just a coincidence, but i'd sure as hell be betting on the canes taking a WHL or OHL forward in the first.

It's pretty close to policy--but mostly directed to the higher picks of the first round. JR didn't like the run around from Jack Johnson and generally doesn't like the wait needed for most D-men to develop, especially when they are picked in the first round. I think Rutherford would be more likely to pick a D-man lower in the first round, but 12 may be a bit high for JR to pick D. I would guess McNeill because he sounds like a center destined to be in the NHL and maybe the cross between Brandon Sutter and Matt Cullen he has been looking for to fill the future 2nd line center role.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

To an extent, though he has stated this year that there's a good chance the team goes with a dman. The issue, as far as I've heard him explain it once or twice, is that he believes dmen take longer to develop and hit their prime to the extent that often you'll only get 2-3 quality years out of a dman before they're eligible to become a UFA, whereas with a forward you can generally get at least 4 (and typically more) before they can test the market. So when he sees two prospects with similar upside, one a forward and one a dman, he's going with the forward.

That said, he has in the recent past had dmen on his radar despite claims otherwise. 05 they were torn between Johnson and Marc Staal (who would then have been seen as a reach but now a justifiable pick). In 08 it broke late that they wanted Teubert and LA had tried to get him to trade up for it before JR balked at giving up a 3rd to trade up only one spot. Last year after picking Skinner (who was either #3 or 4 overall on the Canes draft board) they tried to trade back into the first round offering up all 3 of their seconds from last year, this years first, or a combination of one of those seconds and this years pick in order to land Fowler.

So history shows more often then not when all other things are equal he'll go with a forward. But there is evidence that he will draft a dman if there's one available that's clearly a step above the pack. I don't think that would be Oleksiak here, and Beaulieu is a maybe there, but if say Siemens were to slip I think JR would be all over him at #12.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Surprised that Beaulieu lasted that long.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1