Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft

Who should the Penguins pick?

• Simon Holmstrom, RW, HV71 (SHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryan Johnson, Sioux Falls (USHL Minnesota commit)

• Brett Leason, C, Prince Albert (WHL)

• Connor McMichael, C, (London OHL)

• Jakob Pelletier, LW, Moncton (QMJHL)

• Samuel Poulin, LW, Sherbrooke (QMJHL)

• Philip Tomasino, C, Niagra (OHL)

• Alex Vlasic, D, USNTP (BU Commit)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Ask him in the interview whether he's thinking he'll be there for 1 year or 4.
Denver has a great program and Brink would be ready in 2 years. By that time he can go to school in the summer and go pro.

He wants it. A lot of this Minnesota kids stay home to play for their school. Brink won a championship with'tonka last year... Went to the Musketeers this year. He focused on showcasing himself for a reason.

I was fighting with a scouting service last summer because they had him going in the third round. Now he's a top 20ish.

Last edited:

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Denver has a great program and Brink would be ready in 2 years. By that time he can go to school in the summer and go pro.

He wants it. A lot of this Minnesota kids stay home to play for their school. Brink won a championship with'tonka last year... Went to the Musketeers this year. He focused on showcasing himself for a reason.

I was fighting with a scouting service last summer because they hard him going in the third round. Now he's a top 20ish.

Damn you sold me

Reactions: Burn

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And why is that? He got all the attributes to become a superstar, nevermind an NHL player.

Speed he's got. Also has size, good puck protection, elite shot and good stick handling. And on top of that a responsible two-way game. What's not to like?

I don’t think he’s as skilled and dynamic as some other players who might be available at 21...we’ll see...his speed is good for his size but not great...I think there’s a danger he could up just another big bodied vanilla player we’ve run through, like Pearson...I just think his floor may be lower than some others...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t think he’s as skilled and dynamic as some other players who might be available at 21...we’ll see...his speed is good for his size but not great...I think there’s a danger he could up just another big bodied vanilla player we’ve run through, like Pearson...I just think his floor may be lower than some others...

I mean, in some ways his floor might be less in that he might become a bottom six grinder while they become top six wingers... but in other ways, his floor is higher, because bottom six grinder is a far easier option for him.

In any case, I get the impression that his ceiling is huge; he mightn't have all the tools to amazing levels, but good to excellent is enough if you're a built 6'4" guy who knows how to use it. We could use a guy like that.

And if he doesn't know how to use it, I feel like Bjugstad might be a good more conservative comparable for "Not what we hoped but still a player" and that's useful.

I've gotta admit something in my gut says more like Bjoogs (you know, cos I've watched so much of him :laugh:). I think in the Brink/Pelletier mould there's some real difference makers available. But if Lavoie gets it all right, he's going to be an awesome pick up.

Reactions: The Old Master

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean, in some ways his floor might be less in that he might become a bottom six grinder while they become top six wingers... but in other ways, his floor is higher, because bottom six grinder is a far easier option for him.

In any case, I get the impression that his ceiling is huge; he mightn't have all the tools to amazing levels, but good to excellent is enough if you're a built 6'4" guy who knows how to use it. We could use a guy like that.

And if he doesn't know how to use it, I feel like Bjugstad might be a good more conservative comparable for "Not what we hoped but still a player" and that's useful.

I've gotta admit something in my gut says more like Bjoogs (you know, cos I've watched so much of him :laugh:). I think in the Brink/Pelletier mould there's some real difference makers available. But if Lavoie gets it all right, he's going to be an awesome pick up.

Yeah, I guess I want them to hit for a Pastrnak when we’re talking a first round pick...and not a Bjug or Sheahan...I’m not saying finding a third or fourth liner who helps isn’t great, just not for a first round pick when we haven’t had one in so long...maybe I’m spoiled, lol....

Reactions: Burn

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Imagining a 20 yr old Brink doing his thing with Sid or G was too enticing to pass up for me.
I look at Brink like Rust level puck hound but a notch to probably a safer 2 notches better offensive skills.
Better passer/vision and can snipe from range.
If Sid likes playing with Rust, he'll freakin' LOVE Brink in a couple years.

I think a better D will fall tho and they'll select D here cuz a Heinola, York, Seider or Broberg will be there(guessing).

Reactions: Burn and Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, I guess I want them to hit for a Pastrnak when we’re talking a first round pick...and not a Bjug or Sheahan...I’m not saying finding a third or fourth liner who helps isn’t great, just not for a first round pick when we haven’t had one in so long...maybe I’m spoiled, lol....

Lavoie could come out like a prime Rick Nash though, or like some Landeskog/Niederreiter hybrid. We could really use that. I bring up Bjugstad as an example of what Lavoie is if he misses a bit; what are Brink or Harley if they miss their ceiling a bit?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Lavoie could come out like a prime Rick Nash though, or like some Landeskog/Niederreiter hybrid. We could really use that. I bring up Bjugstad as an example of what Lavoie is if he misses a bit; what are Brink or Harley if they miss their ceiling a bit?
brink....sheary
Harley......an even dumber letang. imo:laugh:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yeah...lol..I just think the odds are he turns into a Bjug/Sheahan hybrid player more than Landeskog...Brink? I think his low end is McCann...I’m even less knowledgeable about the D prospects...

Reactions: Peat

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Watched Brink’s, Lavoie’s and Dorofeyev’s highlights. I gotta say, Lavoie didn’t really impress me at all. Average skater, good shot, not physical at all. Basically a Bjugstad 2.0 which isn’t bad but not enough elite skill to spend a 1st round pick on. Dorofeyev is the real deal though. Only thing that scares me a bit is the Russian factor but maybe Malkin can have a positive impact on him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Watched Brink’s, Lavoie’s and Dorofeyev’s highlights. I gotta say, Lavoie didn’t really impress me at all. Average skater, good shot, not physical at all. Basically a Bjugstad 2.0 which isn’t bad but not enough elite skill to spend a 1st round pick on. Dorofeyev is the real deal though. Only thing that scares me a bit is the Russian factor but maybe Malkin can have a positive impact on him.
doro is really coming on strong.... wish we had another pick

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

If the Pens ever take a Russian again in the first round, I’ll be shocked..I like him a lot though

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If the Pens ever take a Russian again in the first round, I’ll be shocked..I like him a lot though

I wonder how often our scouts visit the KHL because it wouldn't surprise me if it was not at all.

I ended up voting for Brink, you guys persuaded me.

Reactions: Andy99

Numz

Oct 7, 2013
Look up Jamieson Rees and watch his highlights. That would be my pick.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Look up Jamieson Rees and watch his highlights. That would be my pick.

We've discussed him quite a bit in the other Draft thread here.
He's a guy that could sneak into the 1st for sure.
I think with Allvin at the helm here now he'll favor a Hoglander over a guy like Rees, imo.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If we took a winger from Magnitogorsk, it would be quite a statement about how the organization feels towards Malkin. It would put to rest a lot of the crap we see every damn off-season. However, I highly doubt we are going this route (as much as I would love to see it). I would want Dorofeyev in W-B/S if we were to draft him. OR at the very least in the CHL somewhere, which is out of our control unless he is drafted in the Import Draft. What is his contract status with Magnitogorsk, though? That is the only issue for me.

I think Lavoie is the pick, but in my ideal scenario for Round 1 this year, we trade for a top-10 pick, keep our own and wind up with the combination of Caufield and York.

That would be a true home run.

Reactions: The Old Master

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Caufield...man what a mystery. Kid is dynamite...but how does that translate to the NHL? So much damn skill there.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Caufield...man what a mystery. Kid is dynamite...but how does that translate to the NHL? So much damn skill there.
ya, hard call. I would love to have him, but I'm not sure how high a pick I would want to risk taking him. too much talent out there this yr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad