News Article: TD Garden gets growing on $70M redo

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I don't mind the Garden. Fine make changes. The 24 % (34% for the playoffs) increase to my ST in one year is a bit much IMO.

Sad to see some of the long time STH priced out.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Reading through this thread makes me wish the old Garden was still around. This place is a palace compared to it.

At least we don't see rats the size of small dogs in the stairwells.

and the smoke :amazed: You couldn't see(or breathe) if you were up high.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
If the pictures are true, and they're gonna have mac & cheese at some concession stands, I'm already excited.

If people wanna spend their time at the game connected to wifi to instagram or facebook or tweet every play, that's their prerogative. They're spending their money to attend the game, and spend their time on their phones and that's straight up wasting their money to miss plays on the ice.

Wifi isn't the cause of someone blocking your view. It's them being an inconsiderate dumbass or clueless and wifi access won't change that.

I have AT&T and I haven't really had many issues in recent seasons. I only check my phone during tv timeouts and intermissions though. Sometimes during a stoppage to see what happened if a player gets hurt.

Myself and another STH were talking the other day and we both wished they allowed STHs and fans a tour of the renovations or at least a sneak preview before the season... but I guess State of the Bruins will cover that part.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
It sounds to me like your frustration stems from inconsiderate fans.......
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Of course it is. What The Heck else would it be? That's why there are so many rules and restrictions in society to begin with... But if one more removes some of the ammunition from those people at a B's game, hey I'm all for it.

What's really starting to get to me, is all the people freaking out at the idea of being offline for a couple of hours. For those people: Get some drinks, put on some Miles Davis and turn off your phone for 24 hours. You'll never feel better.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
This building wasn't anything special the day it opened. I give JJ credit for paying for it, but it feels like he was being penny-wise and a pound foolish.

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
Of course it is. What The Heck else would it be? That's why there are so many rules and restrictions in society to begin with... But if one more removes some of the ammunition from those people at a B's game, hey I'm all for it.

What's really starting to get to me, is all the people freaking out at the idea of being offline for a couple of hours. For those people: Get some drinks, put on some Miles Davis and turn off your phone for 24 hours. You'll never feel better.

This is why I love this board. I try to have a constructive conversation with a differing opinion than you, and you have to be a dink and post a huge picture of a face-palming statue.

I guess I just don't understand why you're so butthurt about WiFi in the Garden. Your arguments against it have nothing to do with WiFi being in the Garden.

I can honestly say, I've never had my view interrupted by someone taking a selfie during the game. Either way, that has nothing to do with WiFi being in the arena or not.

Anyway, if you want to talk about it constructively, let me know. Otherwise this will be my last reply to you on the matter.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Nobody is "freaking out." It's a perk to be able to check out-of-town scores in between periods of a Bruins game, for example, and some people appreciate that it'll be easier. How that contributes to the downfall of civilization is a puzzle.

Wi-Fi isn't "ammunition." Obnoxious people - the drunk, the verbally abusive - have nothing to do with Wi-Fi. If someone's texting during a game, it doesn't bother ME; I'm watching the game, not my neighbors.

If you want 15,000 people to adhere to a strict code of conduct during a sports event, you're going to be disappointed, Wi-Fi or no Wi-Fi.

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
I'm on Hoss's side 100% but I also realize the game experience for fans has changed so much that we're barking up a dead tree. There is no stopping this train.

I was reading something not long ago about maybe Jacksonville's football stadium, maybe Dallas' as well, they have huge wi-fi "lounges" where people can go hangout in the frickin stadium and during the game. This is reality now: you pay crazy amounts of money to get in and then the game is only secondary entertainment - or is at least on equal footing to a fan's ability/desire/right(?) to take selfies to try to get on the jumbotron, spend money.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Other than representing one more step we've fallen down as society. People standing in front of me and me missing a face-off does interrupt my enjoyment of the game; as does people interrupting my line of sight to take pictures while the game is in play. If it was the occasional jerk every few games I probably wouldn't mind, but it's more and more a regular occurrence..
As far as people waiting for a text from their baby sitter if my awesome idea is implemented.. the TD Garden has a number for fan issues: 617.624.2326. Or make whatever arrangements you make when you go the the movies, go to a play, go to an opera, go into any federal building, symphony, while driving, at lectures, in court, in meetings, at a funeral, in church or any place that the people around you would be a captive audience and are expected to power off your phone.

Yes, let's make games more like the ******* opera! Or better yet a funeral!!!

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

So let me get this straight. You hate the way people act with WiFi, but people getting drinks at the game are always perfectly courteous and of preference to you?

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
IMO, good wifi enhances the fan experience for the hard core fan. hard cores can log onto HF and see why a player just left the bench and if or when they are expected to return.

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
IMO, good wifi enhances the fan experience for the hard core fan. hard cores can log onto HF and see why a player just left the bench and if or when they are expected to return.

This is the biggest reason that I pull out my phone during commercial breaks. Try to check twitter or HF to see why a player is missing or something.

Totally agree that it will enhance the fan experience.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
This is the biggest reason that I pull out my phone during commercial breaks. Try to check twitter or HF to see why a player is missing or something.

Totally agree that it will enhance the fan experience.

I check twitter for those updates too. They'll only inform fans at the Garden if it's something very serious.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Yes, let's make games more like the ******* opera! Or better yet a funeral!!!

Apparently, getting Wi-Fi in the Garden IS making it more like the theater....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/01/27/theater-tweet-seats/1868693/

I'm agnostic on WiFi in the Garden. I text to my friends at home while I'm there during breaks, with phone held low enough so as not to obstruct the view of anyone behind me. I'll peek on the Bruins app to see why players are out, or check StubHub for...well, for the seats I didn't buy.

I refuse to take selfies of any kind during play. Talking obviously not going to happen unless there's an emergency, and even in that case I'd be out of my seat (at the next whistle, of course). Anyone grumpy enough at my use of the phone might think twice when they overhear "what hospital did they take him to?" or "how many minutes apart are her contractions?"

And I do all that WITHOUT WiFi availability. I don't exactly see what WiFi is going to do...save a few megs off my data plan? Get people who aren't legitimately interested in the game to the outside of the stadium in the "Xfinity WiFi I-Don't-Give-A-Crap" Lounge so they can watch YouTube videos of cats? Great, please leave, we don't mind....just wait 'till the whistle.

The issue isn't the tech....the issue is how the fans use the tech.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
So the Garden is a complete war zone right now and I have no idea how they will be ready in 2 weeks. Half of the loge is esssentially a construction zone with no concessions or bathrooms.. the balcony's concrouse floor is ripped up

and I'm not a fan of the new look.. very industrial black and white.. kind of looks like The Smith Restaurants in NYC

l5OpYq0.jpg

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
So the Garden is a complete war zone right now and I have no idea how they will be ready in 2 weeks. Half of the loge is esssentially a construction zone with no concessions or bathrooms.. the balcony's concrouse floor is ripped up

and I'm not a fan of the new look.. very industrial black and white.. kind of looks like The Smith Restaurants in NYC

l5OpYq0.jpg

I went to State Of The Bruins and there were no bathrooms or concessions in the Loge 4 to 9 concourse. If that area is still closed down on Opening Night then it will be a tough go getting in and out of bathrooms during intermissions.

I asked a security guard if he thinks they will be ready for Opening Night and he kind of winked his eye and said they will be working round the clock to get things ready. I'm not a construction guy so maybe it will get done in time but it looked like there is still a lot of work to do.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Awesome. Don't have bathrooms and concessions fully operational for preseason games, but charge full price for them.

member 96824

Yeah it's a mess. Went there for a concert sunday night...an absolute nightmare.

If you're looking for the escalators to get up to the balcony? They're behind the giant pile of construction. You can't see them...but just walk behind an area it looks like you're clearly not supposed to be in and they will be there.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Yeah it's a mess. Went there for a concert sunday night...an absolute nightmare.

If you're looking for the escalators to get up to the balcony? They're behind the giant pile of construction. You can't see them...but just walk behind an area it looks like you're clearly not supposed to be in and they will be there.

i didn't know Cher was in town. how did you like it?

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Awesome. Don't have bathrooms and concessions fully operational for preseason games, but charge full price for them.

My seats are in the balcony, but we took advantage of the half filled building last night and poached some loge seats... the bathroom lines, at half capacity, looked longer than they ever are at full capacity. Opening night is going to be a disaster if it's not functional

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad