News Article: TBN: Another beauty from Harrington

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I would prefer that they did one, and I simply do not believe that anyone, if given the choice, would prefer that they did not do one. We'd derive some utility from it, especially with Tim "Diarrhea of the Mouth" Murray at the helm. (Before one of his fanboys jumps on me for saying something that could be construed as negative, I'm merely pointing out that he's very [overly?] transparent when he speaks to the media, and he would give us more than a few nuggets. Darcy had mastered the art of Saying Much Without Saying Anything, so I could take or leave any of his pressers.) But Harrington's crusade is a bit much. I do, however, wonder if the reaction would be the same if Vogl penned the article. The messenger, more than the message, is the reason for such emotional responses.

By calling it "Diarrhea of the Mouth", you are portraying his transparency (as you put it) as unwanted, unwelcome and uncomfortable. So can you see why using that phrasing would come off as negative, oh anti-fanboy ;) ?

Bps21*

Total *********. The Sabres organization finally did something right and picked a direction...and actually accomplished a goal. They made a hard decision, stuck with it, and never lied to fans about what they were doing.

TBN just cries about the opposite of whatever is happening. Literally Bucky flipped 180 degrees in his criticism.

Not the same. Not close.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/many-questions-but-sabres-wont-answer-20150427

Dear Mike: Contrary to what you believe, you speak for no one but yourself. Please don't use us, the fans, as a reason for your purely mental rants.

But you speak for all the Sabres' fans? Or just the half dozen or so here that freak out when the News dares to opine?

Fact: the Pegulas have run this franchise into the ground from day one. Call it a genius plan if you will, but they should answer to it.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
But you speak for all the Sabres' fans? Or just the half dozen or so here that freak out when the News dares to opine?

Fact: the Pegulas have run this franchise into the ground from day one. Call it a genius plan if you will, but they should answer to it.

:facepalm:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

How is it run into the ground? They still sell season tickets, they still get a ton of network games, the ownership probably has a better reputation around the league than in all of team history, money has been invested in all areas of the organization, and the team is in a better position than it was when he took over. I can assume what you mean but putting it like that is so over-the-top. What do the Pegula's have to answer to? When do owners do press conferences? Are they supposed to answer to spending a lot of money and replacing management?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
They may technically be a private business, but the reality is that they are a public entity that represents the city of Buffalo, and as representative of the city, they do have an obligation to those people.

Could you even bother to parse your thoughts WITHIN THE SAME SENTENCE?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Does a miracle play off appearance count as the ground? Or do you use a different definition of day one?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Since Evidently Mike is in here and reading this, I have a open message to you. Feel free to respond to me in PM

Instead of calling the organization an "embarrassment" for putting out a sub par product 2 years straight, why not an insightful article comparing the Sabres to other teams recent rebuilds and where the Sabres could avoid missteps of other teams. Nobody is saying TBN should bow the knee and kiss the ring, but it would be nice if Buffalo's flagship paper strived to be a thought leader amongst Sabres fans rather than #1 bile spewer.

This would be hard work. And require research, inches he may not have, and take time away from Bisons reporting.

His article blasting the Sabres for not holding a presser could be dictated while in the shower. His is muck racking, journalism requires effort. I wouldn't doubt his editors nix a research piece in favor of screed regardless.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
The questions are somewhat valid (the commentary a lot less so) but most if not all of those questions can't be truthfully / accurately answered at this point by the Sabres front office. All anyone can do is guess... Here's what I think Murray's answers would be (If he were a little less direct with his words)

-How much input will Terry have? Probably similar to the last time. An interview but final say will rest with the GM

-Eichel at the WC? I'll be watching his every move, looking for him to show he can play against top talent and assessing his NHL readiness. He's a talented player but he has some weaknesses. I'll be looking to see how he improves in those areas as he plays against tougher competition.

-Second 1st rounder? We could trade up, we could trade for a young established NHLer, we could stay put and see who drops. All are equal possibilities but what occurs will depend on the circumstances.

-Why Rodrigues but not O'Connor? (Maybe) We have other plans for the goalie position, (maybe) O'Connor wanted an NHL spot, (maybe) we decided he wasn't the best option for the organization. (I doubt Murray will come out and say EXACTLY why O'Connor didn't work out)

-Buyout Hodgson? I have every confidence that Cody can be a better player than he was last season. Whether his future lies with the Sabres or he needs a new start with another franchise is something that the organization will continue to examine during the off-season, training camp, and possibly beyond.

-Kane better with Eichel or Reinhart? Both are very talented players. It depends on who makes the team. No one will be "gifted" a roster spot. I'm confident that Kane will do well with either. At the end of the day, lines are a coaching decision.

-Organizational step back for Reinhart/Zadorov to spend time in Rochester? Buffalo/Rochester assignments for all players is topic that we'll examine during prospect and training camp. If we feel that any player would be best served learning the game in Rochester, that is where we will send him. The smartest thing we can do, from an organizational perspective, is to make sure our prospects are given every opportunity to fully develop before we send them out against adult NHL competitors.

-Goaltending? Johnson? Lindback? FA/trades? Lindback played very well for our team during his time in net last season. I'm sure any franchise would be lucky to have him on their team. Potential trades and FA signings for next year's goalies is an ongoing question that has not been answered yet. All options are open to us. As for Johnson, his future with the organization might depend on what other moves we choose to make over the summer but I'll be interested to see what he brings at training camp.

-Current center to wing? Larsson? Most of our centers have spent some time on the wing, and current wingers like Ennis and Hodgson have spent time at center. Who will move there more permanently is dependent on our off-season moves and future line cohesion but at the end of the day line combinations are a coach's decision. Larsson played very well for us at the end of the season. Where he fits in the line up next fall depends on how he and other players perform as well as whatever moves we make to supplement next year's team. I'm confident that Johan will have a long career in the NHL.

-Pysyk collapse? Concern level? Mark's collapse is something we take very seriously. Any time we have a potentially dangerous situation like that, there is a high level of concern for the player. He's a talented player and we want him playing for the Sabres but we will always put a player's health before the needs of the organization. Currently, the doctors have ruled it due to dehydration and allowed him back on the ice - we're glad to have him back with us but we will continue to monitor him and always defer to the judgement of our team doctors.

-Talented RFAs available - possible offer sheets? All options are open at this point. Obviously, the salary cap will play a major role in the availability of FAs and what offer sheets can be realistically made. I'm speaking with other GMs on a daily basis. I will do everything I can to continue to add talent to this roster during the off season.

-What about Sabres FAs like Kaleta? I have the highest regard for Pat, both for his love of his community and his dedication to his role on the ice. I think all of the FAs that played with the Sabres last season did an excellent job, particularly under the circumstances they faced. Free Agency is a question that we will address in the coming weeks and months as the front office team continues to address our organizational needs.

-Status of Cassidy? Vets for the Amerks next season? Chad has done well teaching our young prospects. Obviously, I was disappointed that the Amerks didn't finish better in the standings. In the off season, we'll examine how we can improve the team - whether it's adding veterans through trade or free agency, adding prospects like Fasching, Baptiste and Bailey, or whether we need to make a coaching change. We have not made any decisions yet.

-Will Fasching leaving Minnesota for a professional career? I haven't yet had a talk with Hudson about his career plans. Obviously, I think he'd be a great addition to the Amerks and he will have every opportunity to prove he belongs with the Sabres in prospect/training camp. In the end, the decision to turn pro is his and his alone. I respect whatever decision he makes.

-With the McEichel season over, do you plan to attend more NHL games rather than junior/college games? I'm a scout at heart. I'll always be on the lookout for players to add to our team, both in the NHL and the junior/NCAA/USHL/AHL leagues. As the team matures, I'll want to add players with NHL experience who can get us closer to the Cup. At the same time, it is important to keep restocking our prospect cupboard - to do that well, I need to keep attending those junior league games.

Murray ooout. drops mic

http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/spor...ton-wants-answers-here-are-your-fing-answers/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Fact: the Pegulas have run this franchise into the ground from day one

I think you don't know what the word "fact" means.

Fact: Season ticket sales are still strong
Fact: Attendance is still strong, despite the 2 rough seasons
Fact: Buffalo has made the playoffs in the Pegula era and missed the playoffs by 3 points
Fact: Players are now waiving no trade clauses to come here

NOT a fact: The Sabres have been run into the ground.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Every time one of these threads comes up, I just shake my head. They spew BS because it gets them hits. They do not care why you go to the page, as long as you go.

They're making a fool out of the people who rail against them and the crap they publish.

You want to *show* them? Go read something else and ignore them.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The way people talk about ownership/GM/coaching tenures reminds me of how people talk about presidencies. A president takes office and suddenly he's somehow responsible for the entire state of the economy. That's not how it really is because you have to look back years to figure out why something like an economy is where it currently is. Even at the end of a president's term there's still only so much of the economy's present state that is, positively or negatively, due to the influence and decisions of his administration.

What did the Pegulas do wrong exactly? They took over a mediocre team and tried to get it over the hump. The result was that the team remained mediocre, making and then narrowly missing the playoffs. Direction was then changed and ultimately about a year after new management was brought in to oversee the new direction. If there's a criticism it might be that direction should have been changed immediately.

How do owners succeed or fail? Their job is to hire the right people and provide them with the resources to get the job done. Then there are other things like franchise stability, accessibility (affordable prices, proper television coverage, etc), local investment, etc. The Pegulas' ownership is pretty much universally praise-worthy in all of these areas with the debatable point being whether they hired the right people. Well, did they or didn't they? Seeing as how their hires happened barely a year ago I'd say it's hard to criticize that point yet.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
You say this like it's a big accomplishment.

Making the postseason once in five seasons, in a league where over half the teams make it in each season, is pretty horrendous.

It's a fact, nothing more meant behind it in any way shape or form.

If this franchise was truly run into the ground, we'd look like a cross between the current Oilers and pre-Mario Pens.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
i used to love tbn for sabres coverage, but now i find it unreadable. the agenda pushing and fragile egoes just scream out in the articles. everything harrington and gleason write is "personal" and i think that's poor journalism.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The way people talk about ownership/GM/coaching tenures reminds me of how people talk about presidencies. A president takes office and suddenly he's somehow responsible for the entire state of the economy. That's not how it really is because you have to look back years to figure out why something like an economy is where it currently is. Even at the end of a president's term there's still only so much of the economy's present state that is, positively or negatively, due to the influence and decisions of his administration.

What did the Pegulas do wrong exactly? They took over a mediocre team and tried to get it over the hump. The result was that the team remained mediocre, making and then narrowly missing the playoffs. Direction was then changed and ultimately about a year after new management was brought in to oversee the new direction. If there's a criticism it might be that direction should have been changed immediately.

How do owners succeed or fail? Their job is to hire the right people and provide them with the resources to get the job done. Then there are other things like franchise stability, accessibility (affordable prices, proper television coverage, etc), local investment, etc. The Pegulas' ownership is pretty much universally praise-worthy in all of these areas with the debatable point being whether they hired the right people. Well, did they or didn't they? Seeing as how their hires happened barely a year ago I'd say it's hard to criticize that point yet.

This entire post is bang on. Pegula made a decision a few years ago which didn't pan out. Ehroff and Lenino did not take the team to the places management thought it could go.

Do they deserve criticism for those moves? Yes certainly. When an honest appraisal of the teams assets was done, the decision was made to rebuild the team. We will know in a couple of years how that decision played itself out.

If you don't like the team being bad the last few years, you really need to go back in time, take a look at the way the 2012 Buffalo Sabres were built, and ask yourself, what can be done to this roster to make the playoffs? Once you take that look, compare it to what was actually done, or what moves were available.

Now you have a basis for rational decision. But emotional whining about the team losing is a facile critic.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

What?

How can you run a franchise into the ground when the plan is to tank, leading to elite talent acquisition, leading to a better team than what the Pegula's inherited?

Summit72

Jun 2, 2006
Canada
Regardless of Harrington's take/angle, it is highly unusual if it's true that the Sabres are the only eliminated team not to hold a post season presser. Especially in light of Murray's incredibly tone def post lottery interview performance. Do they even have a PR staff? Who prepared him for his post lotto interviews?

The Sabres' PR guy either deserves to be immediately fired if this was his plan, or a nice bonus for taking all of those arrows.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY

Everyone went for the second part of this post, I won't comment on it since others have already done so in addition to the fact that it's just so blatantly wrong.

There's a lot more than a "half dozen or so" on here that criticize TBN's sabres coverage, and rightfully so. Look no further than where you are right now for proof. Does it speak for all, or even a majority of sabres fans? Of course not, but the difference is that casual fans won't understand what's really going on, and there aren't many of them on this site. We criticize it because "journalists" like Harrington feel the constant need to push this narrative even when the seasons already to create controversy for clicks from who are likely more casual fans, instead of writing about insightful things at this point such as prospects like people have mentioned ITT. The well-informed generally oppose Harrington or outright avoid him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad