Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Victor Hedman re-signs with Lightning (8 years, $7.875M AAV)

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Gotta say, pretty fantastic couple of days for Yzerman. Hedman would have got max money on open market. He takes a big home town discount to stay on a winner.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
KPfBy2v.jpg

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Wow, incredible deal for Tampa !! Tampa is going to be such a force for a very long time !! All these star players taking home town discounts ! Wish that could've happened in Colorado with Stastny and ROR. Oh, well...

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Subban is the only one that went close to FA lately. So yeah - he set the market.

Subban is paid more then a million over the seond highest paid D (now Hedman). Subban is over paid IMO. Hedman deal is a good deal and what he is worth.

Market value is more then most players are worth. Lots of players don't ask for market value as it hurts teams ability to compete.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Damn Stevie Y getting it done again. Love this deal. If Hedman went to free agency he would've been the highest paid player in the league imo

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Subban is paid more then a million over the seond highest paid D (now Hedman). Subban is over paid IMO. Hedman deal is a good deal and what he is worth.

Market value is more then most players are worth. Lots of players don't ask for market value as it hurts teams ability to compete.

Do you know the definition of "market value"? It is literally what they are worth in an open market.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Too much praise for Yzerman. Not nearly enough praise for one of the best defenders in the league, clearly taking a discount for his team. Probobly a huge one aswell. Good ol' Swedish boy!

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Too much praise for Yzerman. Not nearly enough praise for one of the best defenders in the league, clearly taking a discount for his team. Probobly a huge one aswell. Good ol' Swedish boy!

For sure, but Hedman would probably have signed for $8.5M or so had Stamkos not stayed and took a "discount".

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Do you know the definition of "market value"? It is literally what they are worth in an open market.

yes and IMO market value is generally more then a players value. Market value is the winner of the bidding war between 30(or fewer) teams. Any star player has 9M+ market value.

Just because someone will pay it on the open market does not mean it is a good deal.

Hedman is a good deal at 7.8 but that is no steal. It what a top D is worth.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Tampa is gonna have their RFAs next year or maybe even this year offer sheeted to death. I think at least 2, maybe 3 guys get one.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

I actually agree with this.

Yzerman did a great job but a a lot of the praise should go to Stamkos/Hedman for taking the deals.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Tampa is gonna have their RFAs next year or maybe even this year offer sheeted to death. I think at least 2, maybe 3 guys get one.

Won't happen. Sy has got this. Everytime the fan base even slightly doubts a move he proves us wrong. This guy was not just an excellent player. He is an excellent general manager.

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
I wonder if Yzerman realizes he just killed 10% of this board's proposal/speculation threads for the next twelve months.

Last edited:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Jesus Christ, Tampa dont play around do they?

Now I'm expecting them to land a great return for Bishop, and resign all their current and impending RFAs.

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
This, you know, is a good deal. Glad, you know, he signed an extension, you know. Hopefully this, you know, works out for, you know, both Hedman, you know, you know, and Tampa Bay, you know.

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010

If you keep saying it, eventually it will come true.

Or not.

Probably not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad