Confirmed with Link: TBL signs head coach Jon Cooper to multi-year contract extension

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Cooper extended. Stamkos back on wing.

giphy.gif

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Looks like it was planed for a while, and if Yzerman is happy then we should nkeep trusting the Yzerplan.

This was funny, the team likes him and while we don't agree with what all of Cooper's offense decision he is doing a really good job with our goalies and a pretty good job with our defense (he doesn't have much choice with Carle even if he could play him less though I think it's more to not over-work Hedman/Stralman than anything even if he could play them more).

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Never mind that earlier tweet on it being two-years, at this point no one knows how long it is:

And hey, if Yzerman likes what he sees...

...I guess we shouldn't be to concerned...or something like that.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Happy for him, but not happy for Steven...

Welp bye bye Steven and Drouin

I'll say it again think Drouin will be fine. Coop is giving him that shot now on the 2nd line, and with the way Stamkos has pretty much brought everyone down on his line that won't happen for Drouin now. There is a little less pressure not skating with Stamkos.

As per Stamkos not sure what will happen since he has been struggling in Coop's system and this season has really shown it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh so it's more than 2 years. That's great news. I'd hate all those signings to have to be conducted on top of uncertainty of a new coach. I know you all hate Coop but give him a chance to right the ship and to do it with some new players.

If we are out of the playoff race come trade deadline time I think Yzerman will try to gather up some new prospects.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Oh so it's more than 2 years. That's great news. I'd hate all those signings to have to be conducted on top of uncertainty of a new coach. I know you all hate Coop but give him a chance to right the ship and to do it with some new players.

If we are out of the playoff race come trade deadline time I think Yzerman will try to gather up some new prospects.

It's not official, it's just EE's best guess based on what he's seen.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's not official, it's just EE's best guess based on what he's seen.

I trust EE more than other sources. Our entire team is going to be different in 2 years and given the fact that Cooper was hand-picked by the Lightning organization to be "the man" that feels too short of a term anyway. Especially if Steve is legitimately pleased with our progress.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Cooper is a hot name chances are he got a 3 or 4 year contract. If the Lightning fired him a nhl team would pick him up pretty quickly.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Obviously this has been in the works for a while, but the timing...

Agreed. Seems to me it would make sense that:

No Playoff/Early Exit: Announced shortly after exit or no-show

Playoff Bound: Just before Trade Deadline.

As for the timing, I agree with others here who stated that this is a shake up, sending a message, etc.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Agreed. Seems to me it would make sense that:

No Playoff/Early Exit: Announced shortly after exit or no-show

Playoff Bound: Just before Trade Deadline.

As for the timing, I agree with others here who stated that this is a shake up, sending a message, etc.

Hey we won a game. No guarantee we'll see that happen again so might as well do it now while we have some positivity :cry:

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
two year deal seems about as fair as you can expect considering what Cooper did the last two years. anything more would have been a touch much. Good job by Yzerman.

Now Cooper just has to get this team sorted out. I don't think we are a playoff team this year. They have to show me wrong.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
two year deal seems about as fair as you can expect considering what Cooper did the last two years. anything more would have been a touch much. Good job by Yzerman.

Now Cooper just has to get this team sorted out. I don't think we are a playoff team this year. They have to show me wrong.

Hate to break it to you but he got more then two years

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3