Confirmed with Link: TBL signs head coach Jon Cooper to multi-year contract extension

JS91

May 14, 2014
Well then. Pretty mixed feelings about this one. He has done amazing job so far, no doubt about it, but considering the season we're having right now it's a pretty weird timing. I guess he was going to be signed no matter what, but I'm still thinking that what if we miss the playoffs this year and continue being below average next year again?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't hate Cooper. He's still early in his coaching career and has a ton of success. Just hoping he drops the bad habits(returning to the same bad lines, 4th line Drouin) and keeps improving as a coach

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Definitely doesn't increase the odds of Drouin or 91 staying

I would agree on 91, but Drouin has found good chemistry with pretty much everyone on this team except 91. I was kinda just joking with that clip, and Drouin does not need to be with Stamkos to succeed on this team.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah it's odd timing in a sense but it was also coming down the pike for a while now.

Still. Gotta think this is putting a vote of confidence on the coaching and putting the players more on notice since Yzerman's committed to the former.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Was watching hockey central when they broke this news. Almost gave me a heart attack when they said "this just in, big news out of Tampa Bay..." my mind instantly went to Stamkos traded.

Then when announced Cooper has been extended, it was made a point that the timing was weird with the shoddy play of the lightning. Basically they said it was a move to show the team this is our guy for the long haul, and if you don't like it (they hinted to Stammer) then either move on or start to step up.

Most of them said it was a smart hockey move. I don't know how I feel, the only thing that bothers me is the Drouin situation but let's hope we turned a corner on that last game.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Looks like it's a two-year deal.

Which is actually ok, gives him some time to show that last two years weren't flukes and if they were then he won't get another contract two and a half year from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad