Team Russia:
Nikita Kucherov
Andrei Vasilevskiy

Team Sweden:
Victor Hedman

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yzerman needs to pull some strings. Since they didn't have Point go to Syracuse for the playoffs the WC would've been a good consolation to get more high level playing time. Unless the plan is for him to just go right to the gym and hit the weights hard.

I hope Drouin doesn't go. The big ice will just have him dangle more and do dumb **** that he'll think he can do in the NHL and definitely not play any defense. He needs film study bad.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Strålman said in his exit interview he was considering going to Worlds, but had to do a medical check. I found this in the #tblightning feed. Something about his left hand??

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Strålman said in his exit interview he was considering going to Worlds, but had to do a medical check. I found this in the #tblightning feed. Something about his left hand??

Thank for this, it says that he needs to do an x-ray on his back and left hand before knowing if he can go.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Yzerman needs to pull some strings. Since they didn't have Point go to Syracuse for the playoffs the WC would've been a good consolation to get more high level playing time. Unless the plan is for him to just go right to the gym and hit the weights hard.

I hope Drouin doesn't go. The big ice will just have him dangle more and do dumb **** that he'll think he can do in the NHL and definitely not play any defense. He needs film study bad.

Or, alternatively, Drouin's the second or third best player on the line he plays on and doesn't have to try and carry the line. He had such a rough stretch 5v5 towards the end of the year that I think he could benefit from a tournament like this. It would be a good learning experience for him, being surrounded by players who have made that next step to becoming a star.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
I'd like if Stralman didn't go, he's earned some R&R given how much he's played with not only the Lightning, but the Rangers as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Or, alternatively, Drouin's the second or third best player on the line he plays on and doesn't have to try and carry the line. He had such a rough stretch 5v5 towards the end of the year that I think he could benefit from a tournament like this. It would be a good learning experience for him, being surrounded by players who have made that next step to becoming a star.

If he wants to be a star he needs to carry a line. He wasn't drafted 3rd overall to be a passenger. The last 3 years he's watched Kucherov become a star while carrying a team, he also improved his two way play along the way. Drouin should've watched Point to see what a young kids needs to do to keep getting additional ice time and responsibilities.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
If he wants to be a star he needs to carry a line. He wasn't drafted 3rd overall to be a passenger. The last 3 years he's watched Kucherov become a star while carrying a team, he also improved his two way play along the way. Drouin should've watched Point to see what a young kids needs to do to keep getting additional ice time and responsibilities.

He's not there yet, but it's hard to develop when you're playing with Killorn and Gourde. Kucherov had the opportunity playing with competent players, and Point thrived when he got put on a line with Kucherov/Palat. I'd like to see Drouin's splits this year, because there was a point when Kucherov got injured and he actually had success 5v5.

His biggest flaw is impatience, he still gets frustrated and resorts to deking/taking risks. He isn't going to just develop a new approach to the game if he's playing with players who can't complement his game. The talent is clearly there, and I'd say the effort it there too. He's just learning the wrong way. Playing with established stars can leave a lasting impression.

EDIT: I am wrong, I checked the splits.
His best stretch came in December, when he played with Paquette, Vermin, Boyle, Filppula the most. Only played with Johnson for 3 games.

Last edited:

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I'd like if Stralman didn't go, he's earned some R&R given how much he's played with not only the Lightning, but the Rangers as well.

He said in his exit interview that he couldn't remember not being in the playoffs because it only happened his first four years of his career. I was curious because someone else in a thread earlier this season had said he had some of the most playoff games of anyone aside from Boyle or Cally and that plus the WC and recovering broken leg could explain his less than normal first half of the year.

2011-12 Rangers ECF
2012-13 Rangers 2nd Round
2013-14 Rangers SCF
2014-15 Lightning SCF
2015-16 Lightning ECF (missed some due to leg)
2016 World Cup

That is a hell of a lot of post season games. I think I see your point. :laugh:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
WC isn't super long or intense, so I don't really care if anyone goes. But I would prefer for (most) of the players to rest up. A couple of guys (Point, Drouin, Kucherov, Vasi) are fine, but especially for Veteran players, or guys with a tendency to start slow (PALAT), take the time off and recover.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Cooper will coach Team Canada at the WC, good for him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Clearly he doesn't want to risk an injury because him and his agent are going for bank this summer.

or he's nursing an injury from the last couple weeks.
Honestly, this seems likely to me. Something was different about his game (for the worse) the past few days of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad