Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NJ] Lightning aquire Blake Coleman for Nolan Foote and 2020 1st round pick (via VAN)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
A few of the players commenting on the addition of Coleman

Gourde:
"I'm really excited to see him. He's a hard player to play against. He plays the right way all the time. He does the right things, so I'm really excited to see him join this team."

"This team, we love players like this. We're excited to see him. He has tremendous speed, he's relentless, he never stops on the forecheck, so it's going to be fun to watch him play with a Bolts jersey on."

"If you probably ask guys around the league, there's players that really get under guys skins, but you love to have them on your team. I feel like sometimes I can be someone like that too. At the end of the day, it's great to have teammates like that."
Johnson:
"He's a competitor. He's a guy who works extremely hard. I think our team has had quite a few battles with him. ... He's going to be a good addition to our team. He's extremely hard to play against. We've had some battles in the playoffs with him and I think he fits our mold with a lot of speed and skill and the competitiveness."
Point:
"He's a guy that when you're playing against him, he's hard to play against. He's got great speed, great wheels, he works hard every shift, blocks shots, and we're extremely excited to have him for sure."

"He's got great speed, really good speed. He's got good skill. Obviously he's having a good season and he can put the puck in the net. But he's a guy that works so hard, he's willing to block shots, and sacrifice for his team."

"I think he fits in exactly like we're preaching. So I think it's going to be a smooth transition for him."

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
WTH is Tampa doing here? BC is good and all but Nolan Foote + 1st?!?!

Greene for a 2nd

sellers market apparently ...
Great two way player, kills penalties and a threat to score while killing them....plays all out every shift every game.....also plays with a nasty streak and grit....fast too....fan favorite we will miss him.....those goals and points all even strength or short handed didn't get power play time....Tampa fans will love this trade....I hope he succeeds there...It wasn't cheap but that is a cup trade.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he can play either wing, it opens up a lot of options for us. The trade really grew on me after I realized we're gonna have to trade killer, probably for a solid return. So we wind up almost breaking even next year, plus we get this playoff run with easily the best depth in the league.

I really want to see him in the top 6 though. Our issue in recent years is our stars disappearing. Having a big body in front 5v5 will help that IMO

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Thought id share my my post from the trade board here about what I think Coleman can do for you guys.

"honestly if they put him on the 1st or 2nd line I really he think he could turn into the next Daniel Briere/Mr Playoffs and could see him getting the Con Smythes trophy if Tampa makes it to the finals. He's not the most skillful guy but he never takes a shift off and has the ability to Will a puck across the goalie line."

Take care of him Tampa :(

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think we might too. But maybe in the off season.

I feel like this trade kills two birds with one stone, which is maybe why we paid so much. This is Killorn's replacement next year.

Yea I dont know why but a combination of a few things just makes me think we trade him:

We just traded his brother. Dont think this will be a huge reason why but I cant help but feel like it is related or relevant.
Our top 4 D may take a while to get into. Especially if Rutta, Sergachev, and Cernak continue to play well for us.
He might have to be one of the players who will be exposed in the expansion draft. Not sure on this one but I feel like I heard he could be.
We might want to improve our top 4 D now rather than later. Pushing Rutta down might not be so bad if the guy we get is a good partner for Hedman.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not reading your comments, but cold commenting that he's gonna be a fan favorite, and you WILL be buying his jersey. He hustles and gives 100% every shift, and if he wasn't on our devils team, people would be talking about him. Monster at PK too. You all are gonna love him, I promise

I get visions of a Ryan Callahan with better skill when I see NJ fans speak of Coleman. Not a bad thing. Especially at that cap hit.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Agreed. I would have thought Coleman would have been a guy they wanted to keep going forward. A little strange that he gets traded but they want to hang onto Zajac instead.

Zajac has a full NTC thanks to Lou that he won’t waive.

The only reason we traded Coleman is because you guys offered us a great return that makes more sense for our younger guys.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If he can play either wing, it opens up a lot of options for us. The trade really grew on me after I realized we're gonna have to trade killer, probably for a solid return. So we wind up almost breaking even next year, plus we get this playoff run with easily the best depth in the league.

I really want to see him in the top 6 though. Our issue in recent years is our stars disappearing. Having a big body in front 5v5 will help that IMO

He can play either wing and center. He has done all three in NJ. He is extremely versatile like that.

played mostly wing this season, but has lined up at center too.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The only reason we traded Coleman is because you guys offered us a great return that makes more sense for our younger guys.
Plus NJ clearly needs to build with their younger guys with Nico, Hughes, Blackwood, etc. moving forward. Given that Coleman would be a hot commodity if he hit UFA in 2021, and where NJ likely would be, probably not going to win a bidding war if there are more glamorous markets ready to compete consistently in the playoffs competing for his services.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yea I dont know why but a combination of a few things just makes me think we trade him:

We just traded his brother. Dont think this will be a huge reason why but I cant help but feel like it is related or relevant.
Our top 4 D may take a while to get into. Especially if Rutta, Sergachev, and Cernak continue to play well for us.
He might have to be one of the players who will be exposed in the expansion draft. Not sure on this one but I feel like I heard he could be.
We might want to improve our top 4 D now rather than later. Pushing Rutta down might not be so bad if the guy we get is a good partner for Hedman.

Our top-4 is locked down for the foreseeable future. I really don't think Cal is untouchable the way he was in years past. And, really, I would have liked to see a lot more out of him in the past couple of training camps than what we got. I don't want to trade him for a rental, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him go at this point. If he doesn't make the team next year, his trade value HAS to go down, so if we're not sure he has a future with the team, this is the time to pull the trigger.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Plus NJ clearly needs to build with their younger guys with Nico, Hughes, Blackwood, etc. moving forward. Given that Coleman would be a hot commodity if he hit UFA in 2021, and where NJ likely would be, probably not going to win a bidding war if there are more glamorous markets ready to compete consistently in the playoffs competing for his services.

we also have both Palms and Gusev up at the same time. That’s a lot of money for 28-29 year olds for a team still a few years away at the point.

Coleman would have been my preference of those guys to keep, but for that price how could NJ say no? It would have been so shortsighted to not trade him for this.

From what I am reading Foote has to potential to be an excellent fit next to Jack Hughes.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Now you guys are speaking in tongues or something. This may not have been the best idea....

But I CAN'T bring myself to root for Toronto or Boston.

Oh god damn. Fine. I join

Thought id share my my post from the trade board here about what I think Coleman can do for you guys.

"honestly if they put him on the 1st or 2nd line I really he think he could turn into the next Daniel Briere/Mr Playoffs and could see him getting the Con Smythes trophy if Tampa makes it to the finals. He's not the most skillful guy but he never takes a shift off and has the ability to Will a puck across the goalie line."

Take care of him Tampa :(

You guys are welcome to stick around. Don't mind our shenanigans. It's been years (seriously) that we've not burned the forum down at the first sign of adversity no matter how minute it is. I've glanced at nearly every forum and Tampa and Pittsburgh belong in their own realm as it goes for "negative fanbases" with Vancouver not so far behind

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
I know it was a rumor but maybe... MAYBE Volkov for Puljujarvi is still in play. It's rumored we looked into him and that was the asking price. But that's a move I would've wanted to see done on the off-season. My only problem with him is he's the size of Eric Lindros but played the softest game of that Oiler lineup and has the IQ of a turnip.

Having watched Pulju play in Liiga this season im not sure if i want him even for 2nd rounder. Still doing the same things he was doing before he came over to NHL. Needs atleast 1 year in AHL to fix the issues, like the long turns over the ice and floating outside the game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You guys are welcome to stick around. Don't mind our shenanigans. It's been years (seriously) that we've not burned the forum down at the first sign of adversity no matter how minute it is. I've glanced at nearly every forum and Tampa and Pittsburgh belong in their own realm as it goes for "negative fanbases" with Vancouver not so far behind

I’ll pop in once in a while. Even if I wasn’t super high on you guys winning before, I like Blake way too much to root against him.

I say this seriously I think it’s entirely possible you will end up with the best player moved this deadline.

He is absolutely better then Toffeli, and I would take him over Kreider everytime because he does so much more in the other aspects of the game (plus that extra year for pennies is nice too).

Reactions: NatoGhost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad