Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Lighting Sign Sean Day to 2-way deal (1 year, $700k)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess he was 'exceptional' as a 14 year old, but never got much better in the OHL through four more seasons, and was picked by the Rangers in the third round. Now his career is on the trajectory of an AHL-lifer, and even that might be a stretch moving forward.

Kinda reminds me of Griffin Reinhart. Drafted fourth overall in 2012 and still only 26. But morphed from a 'can't miss' d-man to AHL journeyman.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
It worked for Ryan Graves
Please dont compare Graves to Day.

Graves was dominant in the AHL and wasnt really given a chance at NYR.

Day struggled massively in the AHL and spent nearly half his pro career in the ECHL.

Day is a fantastic skater but unfortunately that is the only thing he has. I think he will spend a large part of his time between Orlando and Syracuse.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Please dont compare Graves to Day.

Graves was dominant in the AHL and wasnt really given a chance at NYR.

Day struggled massively in the AHL and spent nearly half his pro career in the ECHL.

Day is a fantastic skater but unfortunately that is the only thing he has. I think he will spend a large part of his time between Orlando and Syracuse.

Cool so a change of scenery helped Graves.

It may help Day.

So yeah, pretty solid comparison you could make for basically anyone

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Please dont compare Graves to Day...Graves was dominant in the AHL and wasnt really given a chance at NYR...
Yeah NYR handling if Graves was odd. They'd been so pleased he had big roles for a couple Memorial Cup teams.
But then they gave NHL ice to everyone else but... Gilmour, OGara, Pionk.. suddenly forgetting the size, skating, shot and compete they'd appreciated.
and sold low, for Bigras, who they never took seriously and let walk

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Cool so a change of scenery helped Graves.

It may help Day.

So yeah, pretty solid comparison you could make for basically anyone
Graves always had the NHL within his grasp.

Day cant even be consistent enough to stay in the AHL. His attitude is poor and was actually on a lot of teams no-draft list.

It was a low risk draft pick that failed to become anything relevant. Dont expect much

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
He's got speed and size, but thinking and hands are a bit behind.

I think he needs lots of time and attention, he could still one day turn into a NHL tweener.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Tampa Bay is an excellent team in terms of player development. They are doing something right over there. Who knows, it might just be the right place for Day. Mature a bit, put in work and someday you'll get a chance. They have four guys with guaranteed minutes and the rest are expendable. With a solid season in the A, Day might be called up to play some games after Tampa secures a spot in the play offs.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
As a Jets fan I would have loved to see him under Charlie Huddy's influence. But good luck in TBL. I hope this kid does well

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Ha ha, no worries. It wasn't your fault. I read it correctly, but my brain basically went:

tenor.gif

It's astonishingly hilarious how much this looks like Gio.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Hope it works out for the kid. It sounds like he’s been through a lot. The Rangers didn’t really have a spot for him anymore...

Worth a gamble... even if he just becomes a call up candidate at some point due to injury... although that’s probably a bit of a long shot itself.

Ledge And Dairy

Tampa Bay is an excellent team in terms of player development. They are doing something right over there. Who knows, it might just be the right place for Day. Mature a bit, put in work and someday you'll get a chance. They have four guys with guaranteed minutes and the rest are expendable. With a solid season in the A, Day might be called up to play some games after Tampa secures a spot in the play offs.
Next it will be like be PoolParty for like Gourde and he will come over and be elite next to Cirelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad