Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Lighting Sign Sean Day to 2-way deal (1 year, $700k)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Gotta fill their quota for ex Rangers property

source.gif

miss u bozle

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't know why my brain re-juggled the title to "1 day 2 way deal". :laugh: I was like, "Man, is this a new form of hazing or what?"

Then I realized I need to brew myself some coffee.

Me too, just woke up and read the headline the same way. I thought "Man, he's retiring already? What's his connection that he wanted to retire in Tampa?" momentarily before also realizing I needed caffeine.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I don't know why my brain re-juggled the title to "1 day 2 way deal". :laugh: I was like, "Man, is this a new form of hazing or what?"

Me too, just woke up and read the headline the same way. I thought "Man, he's retiring already? What's his connection that he wanted to retire in Tampa?" momentarily before also realizing I needed caffeine.
I already had a massive jug of coffee today, so I guess I'm just dumb for seeing the same thing.

But just in case I'm going to brew myself some more coffee.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Day won't recapture the magic that had him battling for #1 in the 2016 draft way back when.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I already had a massive jug of coffee today, so I guess I'm just dumb for seeing the same thing.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Day won't recapture the magic that had him battling for #1 in the 2016 draft way back when.
Doubtful.

1) His size made him exceptional amount smaller competition. At en even playing field, he's not exceptional.
2) His brother going to jail for driving drunk and creating a fatal accident really messed him up. His brother was his role model and the reason he got into playing hockey.

Sean Day suffers from not being able to do 2 things at the same time. Like chew gum and skate. Maybe a new organization and some time away benefits him in clearing his mind and coming back with a passion. Guess we'll find out.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I don't blame you folks for reading it the way you did. When I titled it, I didn't separate the ''Day'' from the ''1-Year.'' After reading your posts, I put the ''1-Year, 2-Way Deal'' in parentheses hoping not to mix anyone else up.

Reactions: Romang67 and Fig

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Seems like the sort of player who will have a decent enough career in the Swiss league and maybe a Spengler Cup championship after hopping around a few minor league NA teams first.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't blame you folks for reading it the way you did. When I titled it, I didn't separate the ''Day'' from the ''1-Year.'' After reading your posts, I put the ''1-Year, 2-Way Deal'' in parentheses hoping not to mix anyone else up.

Ha ha, no worries. It wasn't your fault. I read it correctly, but my brain basically went:

tenor.gif

Reactions: Adam Michaels

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
For some perspective on Day, you should check out the Elliotte Fridman's profile on him

Lots of interesting info like
In conversations both on and off the record, it’s clear people who do know Day really like him. He laughingly calls himself “a goofball.”
While his fun-loving approached worked on a personal level, it didn’t always help him on the job. By his own admission, when he was younger, Day relied on his prodigious talent, and, at that time of his life, did not put in the work. In researching this story, I learned that his combine performance for the 2016 draft is still discussed by people who were there. Day showed up “with a total bedhead,” according to one source, and did very poorly in testing.
per his junior coach Rocky Thompson, from the same article
“Sean was a horse for us. When we won the Memorial Cup, he was basically playing every other shift. His defensive game got so much better. Erie (beaten by Windsor in the Memorial Cup Final) was basically an all-star team and he was out there against NHL-level players. He was a big reason we won.”
per Day, himself, same interview
“Whenever somebody says, ‘Do you want it?’ Well, I had hip surgery and I came back a month early, just to prove to everybody that I want this.”

There's also a section about Day's brother who killed a woman, driving drunk, and was sent to jail.

It's a very interesting read and gets you a little perspective on Day, aside from the usual "Haha exceptional player gone bust" talk that usually surrounds him. You can definitely read parts that you know would tick a team off (the goofball comment could be read as code for off-the-ice behaviour; and there's also part that calls into question his defensive side of the game) but you can also read some parts that lead you to believe there might be something there and it just became a case of a team giving up on a guy because he was drafted under the previous guy's watch (the section on his hip surgery is quite illuminating along with Day hiring someone to test him for food allergies in order to get in better shape can lead you to believe that there maybe is more drive than previously suggested and the fact that no one really has anything bad to say about him/that he's a well-liked teammate).

For a team like Tampa, who doesn't exactly have a well-stocked cupboard of prospects, I think he's a good home-run swing. Give him a year to see if the talk has merit, and cut ties then, if need be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad