PTO: [TBL] F Austin Watson signs PTO with the Lightning (signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He doesn't win a lot of fights but he's not afraid to fight. I like that attribute in a player, that he might lose in the end but he's always willing to step up.

He doesn't have the 'Doc Holliday' mastery skillsets but he ain't afraid to be your huckleberry.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
There’s no argument there he brings as much as any of those even Jeanott really. It is a clear indication of the position that JBB has put the team. People are laughing at the Leafs for placing that roster into a similar situation with what Mathews has got. The Bolts are really a one line team now with Stamkos pitching in on the 2nd line. This has pushed a rebuild closer in Tampa because depth no cap to pay them and literally nothing in the pipeline and no meaningful picks until 26. They have a great core but are now going to be battling for the 2WC. The same situation Nashville has been in for a number of years. People just do not want to admit it. The four teams I pull for Buffalo is the most improved Colorado has the best chance to make a run and the Preds and Bolts are going to be trying to find themselves.
Glazing over the tiny difference of them winning back to back cups and being dominant for nearly a decade straight, obviously there's going to be a certain level of come down from that

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
There’s no argument there he brings as much as any of those even Jeanott really. It is a clear indication of the position that JBB has put the team. People are laughing at the Leafs for placing that roster into a similar situation with what Mathews has got. The Bolts are really a one line team now with Stamkos pitching in on the 2nd line. This has pushed a rebuild closer in Tampa because depth no cap to pay them and literally nothing in the pipeline and no meaningful picks until 26. They have a great core but are now going to be battling for the 2WC. The same situation Nashville has been in for a number of years. People just do not want to admit it. The four teams I pull for Buffalo is the most improved Colorado has the best chance to make a run and the Preds and Bolts are going to be trying to find themselves.
You're literally the only Lightning fan that thinks this. I don't know how you could look at last years roster vs this years and say we're a wildcard team, we actually have a fourth line again. I loved Patty and Perry but Patty couldn't take a shift to save his life in the regular season, and Perry sat in the neutral zone like a beer league game when you're out of shape. I'm excited to see what a full season brings for this bottom six. Maybe its time for you to go be a Buffalo fan? This year is TOTALLY the year for them.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
You're literally the only Lightning fan that thinks this. I don't know how you could look at last years roster vs this years and say we're a wildcard team, we actually have a fourth line again. I loved Patty and Perry but Patty couldn't take a shift to save his life in the regular season, and Perry sat in the neutral zone like a beer league game when you're out of shape. I'm excited to see what a full season brings for this bottom six. Maybe its time for you to go be a Buffalo fan? This year is TOTALLY the year for them.
Byrd is the kind of guy who would argue with a bale over a comb while being bald.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I would like for some of you guys to actually take a long hard look at the roster compared to the last few years. Not just the players but the results each have provided and come up with a honest estimate of scoring and defense. Each of the last three seasons goal scoring has been deducted. Yes I do understand the reason why was to get cap compliant this nonetheless does not relieve Brisboi from hollowing out the organization . There is only so far the core can take a team. Recall the years after 2004 still a good core but just could not move the team forward until it just imploded for a decade. It was not Marty and Vinny’s fault but they did have a year that was so dad the drafted Stammer then depth was just horrid still they drafted some pretty good guys let some get away but Heddy remained. Look at the current team a great 1st line Stammer on the 2nd with the scoring black hole as the center. The bottom 6 other than Paul who I like a lot are just maybe guys.

Now look at the rest of the Atlantic heck the East for that matter. The Panthers and Canes look to have improved the Rangers Devils Bruins Leafs now look to be better. The Pens Buffalo and Capitals will now be competitive with the Bolts . Now if we could schedule the Islanders and Jackets for 50 % of the regular season (sarcasm).

Everyone is like we got two cups and a final out of the run. Well tell Point Kuch Vasi in the prime now if that’s enough I bet you the answer is no. The depth players are not good enough on this roster and when injuries start this season all will understand why I have been vocal about it.

I fully expect the first couple weeks the team will start strong. But the return of the team that was playing after the trade deadline last year will return.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I would like for some of you guys to actually take a long hard look at the roster compared to the last few years. Not just the players but the results each have provided and come up with a honest estimate of scoring and defense. Each of the last three seasons goal scoring has been deducted. Yes I do understand the reason why was to get cap compliant this nonetheless does not relieve Brisboi from hollowing out the organization . There is only so far the core can take a team. Recall the years after 2004 still a good core but just could not move the team forward until it just imploded for a decade. It was not Marty and Vinny’s fault but they did have a year that was so dad the drafted Stammer then depth was just horrid still they drafted some pretty good guys let some get away but Heddy remained. Look at the current team a great 1st line Stammer on the 2nd with the scoring black hole as the center. The bottom 6 other than Paul who I like a lot are just maybe guys.

Now look at the rest of the Atlantic heck the East for that matter. The Panthers and Canes look to have improved the Rangers Devils Bruins Leafs now look to be better. The Pens Buffalo and Capitals will now be competitive with the Bolts . Now if we could schedule the Islanders and Jackets for 50 % of the regular season (sarcasm).

Everyone is like we got two cups and a final out of the run. Well tell Point Kuch Vasi in the prime now if that’s enough I bet you the answer is no. The depth players are not good enough on this roster and when injuries start this season all will understand why I have been vocal about it.

I fully expect the first couple weeks the team will start strong. But the return of the team that was playing after the trade deadline last year will return.
Your bias against Cirelli remains quite something, as per usual. You also say how.bad JBB has done over and over, yet you offer no good alternatives except trade.Cirelli(who was.ppg in the playoffs last year, of course crickets from you about him then) for 2x 2.5-3 million guys. The depth pieces not being good enough is just your opinion as well, as Sheary replaces some of that, and the team is banking on Jeannot paying off after rest, recuperation, and having an offseason/camp.working with the team and system.

In reality, JBB has been willing to jettison or trade perceived non core players when their age and value are no longer advantageous to the team, while locking up key now and future core pieces like Cirelli, Serg, Hagel, and Cernak. I thought Colton was being viewed as a core piece as well,.but it seems JBB thought differently. By not overpaying older vets like Palat and Killorn, and by moving McD without having to pay assets(which they would've had to do if they waited until this offseason), Brisebois can keep the core together and add cheaper depth like Sheary and yes, even Jeannot(despite the price paid in trade assets). The 4th line was also re-constructed, so we'll see how they pan out(it was abundantly clear that the 4th line last year was no longer feasible moving ahead).

Tampa’s goal scoring has also not been the issue, as the last 4 seasons their GF/G has been quite steady at 3.47, 3.21, 3.58, 3.41, so your premise that the team continues to falter in this aspect is incorrect. The defense did suffer some last year, in large part due to some new guys getting their 1st real time in the league, but more so the fact that Hedman played much of the year injured and Vasy had his worst year since maybe his 1st full year as a Bolt. The GA/G reflects this, as Tampa went 2.77, 2.59, 2.78, 3.07 in this category over the last 4 years.

There's no question that when compared to the team's that had Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow as a 3rd line, the team isn't as deep. There was no way that was ever going to continue to be the case given the flat cap and the Seattle expansion draft. I haven't agreed with every move JBB has made, but his strategy led to two cups, 3 straight finals appearances, and a core group that still has no one older than 33(and most still in their 20's or barely 30). The window remains solidly open for now imo, and should remain so for at least another 3 seasons or so.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

I'm on vacation in Japan right now and read this. Nothing of value of substance came from this long post. It's 90% head cannon from some who manages to watch the Lightning but not watch the Lightning at all. If there is someone on the Bolts forum who would start talking about being in the Matrix like Andrew Tate, it'd be you.

f*** you very much for wasting my 2 minutes of vacation time.

• Haha
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

I don't know how you can actually consider the implementation of a salary cap and a lockout f***ing us post victory (so really, 2006 onward) a valid comparison to the state of the team now. The team post 2004 couldn't go anywhere because they paraded random ushers from the stands to play goal for us. We had 4 goddamn goaltenders over the course of the year and none of them broke .900sv%.

Meanwhile, we lose Alex Killorn and didn't trade Cirelli this offseason and fill in some bottom six gaps, and we're apparently in bad shape? I mean its not as if we don't have two top flight defensemen, a goaltender that continues to shatter every record this franchise has, uhhhhh you know a couple forwards that are pretty okay I guess; I guess when you put it that way we're in deep shit.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't know how you can actually consider the implementation of a salary cap and a lockout f***ing us post victory (so really, 2006 onward) a valid comparison to the state of the team now. The team post 2004 couldn't go anywhere because they paraded random ushers from the stands to play goal for us. We had 4 goddamn goaltenders over the course of the year and none of them broke .900sv%.

Meanwhile, we lose Alex Killorn and didn't trade Cirelli this offseason and fill in some bottom six gaps, and we're apparently in bad shape? I mean its not as if we don't have two top flight defensemen, a goaltender that continues to shatter every record this franchise has, uhhhhh you know a couple forwards that are pretty okay I guess; I guess when you put it that way we're in deep shit.
It is odd that you become so hostile with an opposing opinion. Many have just dismissed depth. You know what depth is what brought those two cups and that final. When you have depth to compete and dominate while Kuch is out the entire regular season that is one thing.

I do not disagree that we have Point, Kuch and Stamkos that can be penciled in for a point per game. But that is just not enough . Hagel could well be a 70 point guy but if Point or Kuch are injured his numbers are far from 70. Many on the board have the opinion he is as impactive as our top three forwards , that has yet to be seen. He failed as Stammers other wing when he first got here then was gifted the top line minutes when Palat left. Like it or not Palat made Kuch better. The void that is left from Killorn is yet to be seen but I assure you none of the guys Coop is going to play on that 2nd line are going to replace what Killorn did.

Now it is normal that a team has to replace players in the situation Tampa is in. The thing is those that are replacing players a team can not afford must have a shot to succeed. Please feel free to point out the guy that is going to land on that 2nd line to replace Killorns production, then replace the role he had on the PP the net front work he did. Now the PK there are some options there I admit. Where or who will have the warrior attitude in the room perhaps Jeanott can in time do that in the room.

The one addition I am kinda hopeful about is Sheary but he’s not more than a 20-20 guy. The rest are just bargain basement types . Fine for the 4th line but no ability to play up when injuries start. Now let’s just flip a coin ABB or Sheary on 2nd line the other on 3rd with Jeanott and Paul. So we got three lines band aided together top line real sexy as always 2nd a scoring black hole at center Stammer will be Stammer and hopefully Sheary will be ok. 3rd line a little more scoring maybe from last year but probably a wash. Now if Watson in fact wins a 4th line role someone gets waived or ABB is sent back to The AHL.
Now the D is still worrisome hopefully Heddy will be back doing Heddy things Sergi takes a step forward Cernak will be slid if healthy then the two sophomores not sure what we get from them. Vasy still the best in the world but he can not do it alone. Each of the last three years team gpg has taken a hit and hard to imagine it will not drop again. This could be the first season in a long while they do not break 3.0 per game. The issue there is the team has games they score 5 or 6 then mutiple games they score 2 or fewer. That started last year. Team defense was as much to fault as Vasy there and it was lines 1-4 the +- for individual players was not impressive. The bottom line with the movement of players the ability to just turn on and outscore a team is gone, at least the last half of last season they struggled to fight back from a one goal deficit much less a couple goals. Both offense and team defense has to better . Now you may well think it can be and that’s fine. I have to be shown that these new can get the job done and historically that’s a big ask. I want it to happen like most every Bolt fan but I have seen this movie many times in almost 50 years playing coaching and enjoying this sport. JBB’s decisions have been disappointing. When you lose a guy you have to have a plan. What’s the plan???????????

• Wow
Reactions: LeafLoyalist

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It is odd that you become so hostile with an opposing opinion. Many have just dismissed depth. You know what depth is what brought those two cups and that final. When you have depth to compete and dominate while Kuch is out the entire regular season that is one thing.

I do not disagree that we have Point, Kuch and Stamkos that can be penciled in for a point per game. But that is just not enough . Hagel could well be a 70 point guy but if Point or Kuch are injured his numbers are far from 70. Many on the board have the opinion he is as impactive as our top three forwards , that has yet to be seen. He failed as Stammers other wing when he first got here then was gifted the top line minutes when Palat left. Like it or not Palat made Kuch better. The void that is left from Killorn is yet to be seen but I assure you none of the guys Coop is going to play on that 2nd line are going to replace what Killorn did.

Now it is normal that a team has to replace players in the situation Tampa is in. The thing is those that are replacing players a team can not afford must have a shot to succeed. Please feel free to point out the guy that is going to land on that 2nd line to replace Killorns production, then replace the role he had on the PP the net front work he did. Now the PK there are some options there I admit. Where or who will have the warrior attitude in the room perhaps Jeanott can in time do that in the room.

The one addition I am kinda hopeful about is Sheary but he’s not more than a 20-20 guy. The rest are just bargain basement types . Fine for the 4th line but no ability to play up when injuries start. Now let’s just flip a coin ABB or Sheary on 2nd line the other on 3rd with Jeanott and Paul. So we got three lines band aided together top line real sexy as always 2nd a scoring black hole at center Stammer will be Stammer and hopefully Sheary will be ok. 3rd line a little more scoring maybe from last year but probably a wash. Now if Watson in fact wins a 4th line role someone gets waived or ABB is sent back to The AHL.
Now the D is still worrisome hopefully Heddy will be back doing Heddy things Sergi takes a step forward Cernak will be slid if healthy then the two sophomores not sure what we get from them. Vasy still the best in the world but he can not do it alone. Each of the last three years team gpg has taken a hit and hard to imagine it will not drop again. This could be the first season in a long while they do not break 3.0 per game. The issue there is the team has games they score 5 or 6 then mutiple games they score 2 or fewer. That started last year. Team defense was as much to fault as Vasy there and it was lines 1-4 the +- for individual players was not impressive. The bottom line with the movement of players the ability to just turn on and outscore a team is gone, at least the last half of last season they struggled to fight back from a one goal deficit much less a couple goals. Both offense and team defense has to better . Now you may well think it can be and that’s fine. I have to be shown that these new can get the job done and historically that’s a big ask. I want it to happen like most every Bolt fan but I have seen this movie many times in almost 50 years playing coaching and enjoying this sport. JBB’s decisions have been disappointing. When you lose a guy you have to have a plan. What’s the plan???????????
I'm not hostile, you just post stuff that doesn't add up.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I'm not hostile, you just post stuff that doesn't add up.
Then change my mind. I am open to be optimistic. The thing is I point out where the issues are in particularly the yearly subtraction of goal scoring with no replacment. The fragility of the defense past the big three and its effect on GA. While I agree with those that Vasi hand a bad stretch last year he was not drop off the planet bad.

I no am hopeful for Sheary but I’m not going to fool myself that he is capable of replacing Killorns offensive loss. Now as to Watson well maybe he cracks the team but will 7 goals from him be a huge upgrade from Maroon? I think not he is cheaper than Maroon and some of the rest of the 4th liners so he gets a look and could well get a spot as a warm body.

A couple months ago I took a look at the roster with the focus what would team scoring look like if every play had a career year in goal scoring. What I found was they would be 20 goals short of last years total as a team. Now do I believe that each one on the roster will have a career year? Nope I don’t. The one guy I see that will has to be Cirelli and you know I’m not a fan of his but he just has to have over 20 goals and hit 50 points if not no matter of defensive prowess can justify his 6 mil. Realistically I can see this team below 3.0 gpg in a league that had 12 teams above that water mark last year. I do hope I am wrong, the reason I see this is the yearly time that Point, Kuch , Heddy and Cernak miss due to injury. Not to mention that it has been two seasons since Stamkos has missed time and Vasi never has. These core guys are going to have to play every game well out side Vasi who will play 65 or more due to the fact he has too. Our back up has played I think 4 nhl games in the last three years I think that’s what I read. As bad as Elliott was he had more wins than this guy has played. I am too much a realist to think that all of our core will not have any significant injuries.

There is an article about the Bolts on NHL site that points out my basic view too . With the core we should be in the hunt for the playoffs, but they point out and quote Coop about finding where the new guys fit in. I have suffered thru so many sports seasons over the years and have found it is more fun pulling for a team that has untapped potential rather than having to look at what if each player has a career year. As you pointed out I pull for 4 NHL team and have for more than 20 years. You pointed out Buffalo well I’m excited to see those young guys finally get rewarded . I started pulling for the Bolts because of Khabi and his wall. I got interested in Colorado in the Foppa and Roy years, Nashville was a slam dunk since I live in middle Tennessee. All of these teams have had their bottom points . It makes me roll my eyes now seeing all the praise for JBB as he has overseen the destruction of the team Yzerman built. He has made a couple good moves but more negitive in my mind. And I just do not see that he has what it is going to take to rebuild this team in a couple years that’s where it’s headed. The first couple weeks of the season the team will have some impressive wins that will give many pause to believe the season is going to be ok.

• Wow
Reactions: LeafLoyalist

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Then change my mind. I am open to be optimistic. The thing is I point out where the issues are in particularly the yearly subtraction of goal scoring with no replacment. The fragility of the defense past the big three and its effect on GA. While I agree with those that Vasi hand a bad stretch last year he was not drop off the planet bad.

I no am hopeful for Sheary but I’m not going to fool myself that he is capable of replacing Killorns offensive loss. Now as to Watson well maybe he cracks the team but will 7 goals from him be a huge upgrade from Maroon? I think not he is cheaper than Maroon and some of the rest of the 4th liners so he gets a look and could well get a spot as a warm body.

A couple months ago I took a look at the roster with the focus what would team scoring look like if every play had a career year in goal scoring. What I found was they would be 20 goals short of last years total as a team. Now do I believe that each one on the roster will have a career year? Nope I don’t. The one guy I see that will has to be Cirelli and you know I’m not a fan of his but he just has to have over 20 goals and hit 50 points if not no matter of defensive prowess can justify his 6 mil. Realistically I can see this team below 3.0 gpg in a league that had 12 teams above that water mark last year. I do hope I am wrong, the reason I see this is the yearly time that Point, Kuch , Heddy and Cernak miss due to injury. Not to mention that it has been two seasons since Stamkos has missed time and Vasi never has. These core guys are going to have to play every game well out side Vasi who will play 65 or more due to the fact he has too. Our back up has played I think 4 nhl games in the last three years I think that’s what I read. As bad as Elliott was he had more wins than this guy has played. I am too much a realist to think that all of our core will not have any significant injuries.

There is an article about the Bolts on NHL site that points out my basic view too . With the core we should be in the hunt for the playoffs, but they point out and quote Coop about finding where the new guys fit in. I have suffered thru so many sports seasons over the years and have found it is more fun pulling for a team that has untapped potential rather than having to look at what if each player has a career year. As you pointed out I pull for 4 NHL team and have for more than 20 years. You pointed out Buffalo well I’m excited to see those young guys finally get rewarded . I started pulling for the Bolts because of Khabi and his wall. I got interested in Colorado in the Foppa and Roy years, Nashville was a slam dunk since I live in middle Tennessee. All of these teams have had their bottom points . It makes me roll my eyes now seeing all the praise for JBB as he has overseen the destruction of the team Yzerman built. He has made a couple good moves but more negitive in my mind. And I just do not see that he has what it is going to take to rebuild this team in a couple years that’s where it’s headed. The first couple weeks of the season the team will have some impressive wins that will give many pause to believe the season is going to be ok.
And as usual, you type all that doom and gloom while offering no actual plan or specific changes that are supposedly so much better....Below 3.0 gpg is funny, as a team that's been around 3.5 the better part of the last 4 years is suddenly going to drop .5 gpg because they maybe didn't replace all of what Killorn brought? Sure they are...I already showed how incorrect you were about the team declining in goal scoring the last 4 years, but you continue to double down on your incorrect position to push your weak narrative. If the job JBB has done is so terrible, by all means, give specifics and how the team would be so much better with your clearly superior approach.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

I don't even understand why you watch sports at all? It seems to be doing a number on your mental health and you obviously don't enjoy watching anything. You basically are the equivalent of hate f***ing the Bolts. Like you want them to suck so bad that any other outcome is not even possible.

The whole Lightning board has spent the last 4 years telling you how misinformed your "insight" is. Its become such a meme on our boards anytime you decide to write a wall of drunken old man shaking his fist at the moon ramblings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad