PTO: [TBL] F Austin Watson signs PTO with the Lightning (signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I guess winning a couple of Cups just about offsets the pain of losing a few face punching contests.
Exactly.

Sure, but I think it's quite probable that Watson tries for a multi-year contract with the team that just had him on the roster, only to be turned down, and then tests the market and finds out it isn't as accommodating as he might like.

Personally I think the same thing happened with Duclair, where what he signed for with Florida was less than what he wanted from the Senators after a pretty solid season with them.

In this case, Ottawa moved on from Watson and replaced him with someone cheaper, even if Watson ends up signing for league minimum somewhere else on PTO.

I find a lot of people often say "Well, we should have just signed him for that" but it's not always that simple, in that a player may have to reduce their demands to play elsewhere if the market dries up or is non-existent and their original team has already replaced him.
Senators signed Imama from the "yotes, which is an improvement in the fighting skill but an unknown as far as contributing at an NHL level in other areas.

Reactions: NyQuil

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
Off ice escapades? Personal demons? Great locker room guy? Is this the language we use for domestic violence?

I am baffled by the positivity in this thread. What has he done to earn anyone’s respect?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Off ice escapades? Personal demons? Great locker room guy? Is this the language we use for domestic violence?

I am baffled by the positivity in this thread. What has he done to earn anyone’s respect?
If you assume for one moment that the NHL would not be all over him if there was still an issue, you do not know and understand the new NHL and the image it is trying to project.
As for why the positivity; just as with almost everyone who has had issues in the past, are we supposed to just cast them aside to founder or do we give them the opportunity to right their wrongs and prove that they are working to improve themselves?

Reactions: Burkeocet

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

He's an alcoholic who got clean and plays in the most elite hockey league in the world, even if its on the fringe.
Im not sure why that doesn't deserve respect. Dude has overcome a lot.

Not the language we use for domestic violence and its kind of weird that you went there.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He's an alcoholic who got clean and plays in the most elite hockey league in the world, even if its on the fringe.
Im not sure why that doesn't deserve respect. Dude has overcome a lot.

Not the language we use for domestic violence and its kind of weird that you went there.
Is he really clean? When you have mutiple issues over time his domestic abuse was followed by another suspension for substance abuse. If he has cleaned up his behavior great for him but that does not change he brings little to the Bolts roster.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Is he really clean? When you have mutiple issues over time his domestic abuse was followed by another suspension for substance abuse. If he has cleaned up his behavior great for him but that does not change he brings little to the Bolts roster.
I mean, he's not much different as a player than Tanner Jeannot was last season. He tries hard, but has limited skill. He was always a valid 4th line NHLer for us in Nashville. I think his "substance abuse" issue was directly related to the "domestic abuse" issue. He and his gf were both intoxicated at a gas station and got into an argument, and both pushed eachother, and passersby intervened. It's not like some of the other higher profile domestic cases. Obviously he shouldn't have pushed back. But the police did the right thing in that case and took the bigger male into custody, and he followed it all up with taking the right steps to make sure he wouldn't ever be in that situation again by entering the NHL program, which the Preds requested of him. It's a good illustration of how the system should work, and 4-and-a-half years later all indications are that it did indeed work as intended?

He certainly brings as much to the table as an NHL player as any of Archibald, Glendening, Brown, or ABB do. Whether or not the Bolts need his type of role more than some of those others, who knows. But I wouldn't make that evaluation based only on his 1 (not "multiple") past off-ice issue.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I mean, he's not much different as a player than Tanner Jeannot was last season. He tries hard, but has limited skill. He was always a valid 4th line NHLer for us in Nashville. I think his "substance abuse" issue was directly related to the "domestic abuse" issue. He and his gf were both intoxicated at a gas station and got into an argument, and both pushed eachother, and passersby intervened. It's not like some of the other higher profile domestic cases. Obviously he shouldn't have pushed back. But the police did the right thing in that case and took the bigger male into custody, and he followed it all up with taking the right steps to make sure he wouldn't ever be in that situation again by entering the NHL program, which the Preds requested of him. It's a good illustration of how the system should work, and 4-and-a-half years later all indications are that it did indeed work as intended?

He certainly brings as much to the table as an NHL player as any of Archibald, Glendening, Brown, or ABB do. Whether or not the Bolts need his type of role more than some of those others, who knows. But I wouldn't make that evaluation based only on his 1 (not "multiple") past off-ice issue.
There’s no argument there he brings as much as any of those even Jeanott really. It is a clear indication of the position that JBB has put the team. People are laughing at the Leafs for placing that roster into a similar situation with what Mathews has got. The Bolts are really a one line team now with Stamkos pitching in on the 2nd line. This has pushed a rebuild closer in Tampa because depth no cap to pay them and literally nothing in the pipeline and no meaningful picks until 26. They have a great core but are now going to be battling for the 2WC. The same situation Nashville has been in for a number of years. People just do not want to admit it. The four teams I pull for Buffalo is the most improved Colorado has the best chance to make a run and the Preds and Bolts are going to be trying to find themselves.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Teammates like him, sticks up for them, regular PK, will throw any part of his body in front of puck, to block it. Chips in 8-10 goals from 4th line, solid addition.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
There’s no argument there he brings as much as any of those even Jeanott really. It is a clear indication of the position that JBB has put the team. People are laughing at the Leafs for placing that roster into a similar situation with what Mathews has got. The Bolts are really a one line team now with Stamkos pitching in on the 2nd line. This has pushed a rebuild closer in Tampa because depth no cap to pay them and literally nothing in the pipeline and no meaningful picks until 26. They have a great core but are now going to be battling for the 2WC. The same situation Nashville has been in for a number of years. People just do not want to admit it. The four teams I pull for Buffalo is the most improved Colorado has the best chance to make a run and the Preds and Bolts are going to be trying to find themselves.
So when you're effectively proven wrong for the 25,652nd time, will you finally own up to being wrong? I'll bet you Tampa is still in the top 12 of GF in the upcoming season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wasn't he supposed to be the next Tom Wilson?
That was Tanner Jeannot. For about 60 games.

Watson did have a fairly high profile as a junior prospect, contributed nicely at the WJC and in Milwaukee... but just didn't have the next level of NHL skill and speed, so he adapted his game into being a pure grinder instead; the size and strength advantage that worked at lower levels was neutralized at the NHL level, but he found a way to have a career anyhow. He started fighting more, sticking up for teammates, chipping in on the PK, basically doing whatever it took to stick around.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is he...cleared to play? After his off-ice escapades?

Yeah. I always liked him as a player. But having the sort of off-ice baggage he does, is not great for a depth player looking for work after some...time off.
Is this post from 2015?......

I would have preferred him over Zack McEwan but I don't think we could fit him under the cap.
Not a chance. Macewan plays with pace, Watson is very slow at this point. There is a reason Ottawa had to give him 3 years, he is much more effective.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Watson is a 13th forward type of guy now but he has all you need to play on the 4rth line. The issue with him is footspeed. He's often behind the play and doesn't create much offensively because of it.

He can score some goals though. He plays hard and you can't fault the effort. He hits and will fight if he needs to and chirp guys. He loses all of his fights - it's embarassing sometimes but his teammates love him for it. He's also pretty good positionally and in the PK. He's a pretty likable guy it seems and was praised for his presence in the locker room so I would not be surprised to see him get a contract somewhere for next season.

I like a bottom 6 that plays with pace so I'm happy Sens are moving on but I can't say a bad thing about Watson.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Watson is a 13th forward type of guy now but he has all you need to play on the 4rth line. The issue with him is footspeed. He's often behind the play and doesn't create much offensively because of it.

He can score some goals though. He plays hard and you can't fault the effort. He hits and will fight if he needs to and chirp guys. He loses all of his fights - it's embarassing sometimes but his teammates love him for it. He's also pretty good positionally and in the PK. He's a pretty likable guy it seems and was praised for his presence in the locker room so I would not be surprised to see him get a contract somewhere for next season.

I like a bottom 6 that plays with pace so I'm happy Sens are moving on but I can't say a bad thing about Watson.
Sounds like we’ve found our Maroon replacement.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Guess they needed a replacement punching bag now the Maroons gone
Well with Jeannot in the lineup we won’t need Watson to do much fighting for us (assuming he even makes the team.) I was referring more to the idea of him being a slow minimal-scoring fourth-liner who chirps, loses fights, and is liked in the locker room. That was Maroon to a T.

Unfortunately as with Ottawa fans most of us want to see our team get faster in their bottom six, so I’m not exactly thrilled to see them move on from Maroon only to bring in a younger version of him. So hopefully somebody else can step up and claim that roster spot instead of Watson.

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad