Waived: [TBL] F Alex Barre-Boulet waived by the Lightning (cleared)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Being on waivers kind of says otherwise...

We have no need for a 5'9 170lb 26 year old winger who can't make the NHL. I don't care what language he speaks.
It's not the language, I just happen to know players that played in the Q more than other leagues.

He was not given a fair shake in Tampa IMO. He's been an all-star at every level he played, and he's great kid with a strong work ethic.

I think he's offensively superior to a RHP, for exemple. Put him on the first line with Suzuki like RHP had the opportunity last year and he could blossom into a fine NHLer.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
It's not the language, I just happen to know players that played in the Q more than other leagues.

He was not given a fair shake in Tampa IMO. He's been an all-star at every level he played, and he's great kid with a strong work ethic.

I think he's offensively superior to a RHP, for exemple. Put him on the first line with Suzuki like RHP had the opportunity last year and he could blossom into a fine NHLer.

He was also cast aside by Seattle in their inaugural season. A team that had nothing set in stone and every spot was up for grabs.

RHP has 15 goals, 21 points in 38 games as a 24 year old.

ABB has 6 goals, 9 points in 32 games as a 26 year old.

At 26 whatever he did in the Q is about as relevant as what Drouin did. No sane GM would take an older player with worse numbers to replace a guy who his team drafted and has been developing for 6 years.

RHP scored at over a 30 goal pace in his 34 games last season and he is still starting on the 4th line because he isn't as proven as our other guys now that we are healthy. To take ABB off waivers and out him on the top line would be like spitting in the face of every other forward on the team.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
They waited until the last minute to waive him because they are assuming opening day rosters are locked and no one will claim him. He needs to go down, Vasy will go on LTIR tomorrow, and they will call up Bogosian and ABB.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

He got a fair shake, he is soft as f*** away from the puck and it'll never fly here.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He was also cast aside by Seattle in their inaugural season. A team that had nothing set in stone and every spot was up for grabs.

RHP has 15 goals, 21 points in 38 games as a 24 year old.

ABB has 6 goals, 9 points in 32 games as a 26 year old.

At 26 whatever he did in the Q is about as relevant as what Drouin did. No sane GM would take an older player with worse numbers to replace a guy who his team drafted and has been developing for 6 years.

RHP scored at over a 30 goal pace in his 34 games last season and he is still starting on the 4th line because he isn't as proven as our other guys now that we are healthy. To take ABB off waivers and out him on the top line would be like spitting in the face of every other forward on the team.
I don't care about the "rest of the team". Nobody is a superstar on that line-up. RHP played on the 1st line and scored at ridiculous and unsustainable conversion rate. He does not have Barre-Boulet offensive talent.

It's always fascinating to me how a guy who is destroying in the minors can't even make the roster.
A contending team played him on a 4th line. Never got top 6-9 time (understandable, Tampa is just too stacked).

If a rebuilding team gives him time with talented offensive players and a bit of PP, he could explode like a MSL.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I thought he had a nice camp and preseason, looked like a true NHL level offensive threat. Problem is, he doesn't have the other aspects that would allow him to slide into the bottom 6 and remain effective. I don't think his NHL dreams are over yet, but he's in that classic tweener spot right now.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I don't care about the "rest of the team". Nobody is a superstar on that line-up. RHP played on the 1st line and scored at ridiculous and unsustainable conversion rate. He does not have Barre-Boulet offensive talent.

A contending team played him on a 4th line. Never got top 6-9 time (understandable, Tampa is just too stacked).

If a rebuilding team gives him time with talented offensive players and a bit of PP, he could explode like a MSL.

And neither is the guy you want claimed off waivers. Why do you discount RHP for an unsustainable scoring rate but support ABB who has never scored at all?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
And neither is the guy you want claimed off waivers. Why do you discount RHP for an unsustainable scoring rate but support ABB who has never scored at all?
My assumption is ABB would have scored also if given RHP opportunities.

Tampa wants a 4th line with grit and size. ABB is not an appropriate player for that role.

I know when I see talent, and he has that. He's also a worker, like RHP.

Hopefully he gets claimed by a team that gives him a real opportunity to succeed. Timing is everything for those kind of players.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
He’s got NHL-caliber offensive skill but lacks the speed and hockey IQ to consistently make use of it. A classic case of a tweener who can dominate at lower levels but isn’t able to adapt to the speed at which the game is played at the highest level. On top of that he, unlike other players in a similar situation, has shown neither the desire nor the aptitude to grow the defensive side of his game and to learn to be effective as a bottom six forward. He couldn’t stick in Seattle either so the guy blaming Tampa for supposedly not giving him an opportunity is out to lunch. ABB just isn’t that good, and while I could see a team with a severe shortage of quality forwards taking a chance on him, I also will not be at all shocked if he clears waivers.

Reactions: DFC

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The ironic thing is he was beaten out by another undrafted 25 year old who will be making his NHL debut tonight - Waltteri Merelä.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
He’s got NHL-caliber offensive skill but lacks the speed and hockey IQ to consistently make use of it. A classic case of a tweener who can dominate at lower levels but isn’t able to adapt to the speed at which the game is played at the highest level. On top of that he, unlike other players in a similar situation, has shown neither the desire nor the aptitude to grow the defensive side of his game and to learn to be effective as a bottom six forward. He couldn’t stick in Seattle either so the guy blaming Tampa for supposedly not giving him an opportunity is out to lunch. ABB just isn’t that good, and while I could see a team with a severe shortage of quality forwards taking a chance on him, I also will not be at all shocked if he clears waivers.
He had two games in Seattle and was primarily claimed because they had like.5 starters out due to covid. There was.very little opportunity for him to stick in Seattle either, so no, that poster was not "out to lunch".

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'd claim Barre-Boulet and waive Jake Evans or Tanner Pearson if I were Montreal.

ABB always proved doubters wrong.
If you guys do, I hope he does well. He definitely has some warts, but he looked much improved this camp and preseason. He didn't look slow or unable to handle the game for the most part, and had more than a few nice plays that would've netted him more points if finished. He has nothing left to prove or do at the AHL level, so if Tampa won't give him a chance, hopefully someone does. He's only had 32 NHL games over 4 seasons, so it's not as though he's really been given that large of an opportunity(15 games was his longest stretch). I agree he needs to be in a role where he can use his shot and maximize his strengths, and a 3rd or 4th line grinder role isn't it. Some believed he would get that chance, at least to start the season, with Tampa as they have no great 2RW for now. In any case, good luck to him if he does get a chance elsewhere.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He had two games in Seattle and was primarily claimed because they had like.5 starters out due to covid. There was.very little opportunity for him to stick in Seattle either, so no, that poster was not "out to lunch".
He's also cleared waivers twice. So NHL scouts see something great here and just aren't interested in bringing him to their teams?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

A lot of players are all-stars at every level except the NHL.

Hell, players who are stars at every level just barely make the NHL at times.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He's also cleared waivers twice. So NHL scouts see something great here and just aren't interested in bringing him to their teams?
Didn't he only cleared once in October 2022? Pretty sure he was claimed twice in 2021 but I have no recollection of him clearing waivers twice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Didn't he only cleared once in October 2022? Pretty sure he was claimed twice in 2021 but I have no recollection of him clearing waivers twice.
You might be right. He was claimed by Seattle and then I believe he cleared later that year when he came back, but I could be wrong on that.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
You might be right. He was claimed by Seattle and then I believe he cleared later that year when he came back, but I could be wrong on that.
To my knowledge, this is the 4th time he's on waivers.

#1. October 2021 by Tampa: claimed by Seattle
#2. October 2021 by Seattle: claimed by Tampa
#3. October 2022 by Tampa: clears
#4. Now

Reactions: DFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad