Confirmed Trade: [TBL/ARI] Matt Dumba and 2025 7th round pick for 2027 5th round pick

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I know Dumba's play has slipped, but has it really slipped this much where he's not even worth a 5th round DP straight up? Haven't watched enough AZ games - but that's flipping brutal.

I just can't imagine he could be this bad after watching him for years in MN, if you can give him a decent partner he should be just fine.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Dumba sucks. Do not like this move at all
Couldn’t be any worse than the Chinese fire drill we witnessed on our blue line last night. At least he will hit somebody. Lilleberg did too until someone neutered him after the big hit he dished out in the Anaheim game

• Haha
Reactions: Outl4w

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The cost was next to nothing. At the very least, you add an experienced competitor who knows what it's like to play hard minutes and put up a few points. Hard to comprehend how this move could be viewed as a negative by anybody.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
So did Arizona decide not to retain on Dumba and Zucker because the owner didn't want to?
Why would Tampa and Nashville pay extra for retention when they can fit in the whole cap hit?

Especially Nashville who still had 31 mil in cap space after the zucker trade.

For Tampa, they probably had no other trade in the works so dumba at 50% doesn’t help anything.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Why would Tampa and Nashville pay extra for retention when they can fit in the whole cap hit?

Especially Nashville who still had 31 mil in cap space after the zucker trade.

For Tampa, they probably had no other trade in the works so dumba at 50% doesn’t help anything.
Look at it from the other perspective: If the Coyotes owner refused to retain on Dumba and Zucker, it probably eliminated all the cap strapped teams from being in the race.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Look at it from the other perspective: If the Coyotes owner refused to retain on Dumba and Zucker, it probably eliminated all the cap strapped teams from being in the race.
The only reason Dumba was signed was to be traded. His signing bonus is paid post-deadline. They wouldn’t have structured his contract that way if they planned to keep him or retain on him. They were always going to trade him sans retention.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
Idk about Dumba, but I know there was a rumour/report on here that Arizona was looking for around a 2nd for a retained Zucker. Don't see any reason to assume the owners would have refused retention unless I'm missing something.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Dumba’s $1.35m Signing Bonus is reported to be due after the trade deadline. Tampa will end up paying around 48% of Dumba’s $3.9m compensation this season. $1.35m signing bonus + ~$540k salary.

Arizona would need at least a 3rd round pick in return simply to justify 50% retention of $900k+ on Dumba’s remaining ~$1.9m compensation this season. But Dumba isn’t worth a 3rd, even on 50% retention.

The trade without retention for only a 5th makes a lot more sense for the Coyotes once you factor in Tampa is paying the signing bonus.

Expanding further: if Dumba has been worth a 2nd with 50% retention at the trade deadline—as Arizona probably planned when they signed him last summer—I’d expect the Coyotes would have retained that 50%. Alternatively, if Arizona had paid Dumba’s $1.35m signing bonus then they would have happily retained 50% (~$270k cash) for a 3rd or 4th at the trade deadline.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If he's willing to re-sign cheap I could see him as more than a rental. I'd wanna see what the trade market looks like for Perbix and Cernak first though.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaizen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad