Confirmed with Link: [TBL/ANA] Lightning trade Alexander Volkov for Antoine Morand and a 2023 7th round pick

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Colton made him expendable

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think Goodrow and Coleman did more than Colton. Also not being able to or having to move Johnson did. Adding those two players to the top 9 took away an outlet for Volkov to get a regular spot, keeping Johnson also took away a spot. Colton playing well has made moving Volkov easier as we know we have a reliable 13th forward. Guys like Johnson, Killorn and Palat didn't make the NHL till Volkovs current age or later. He just was an unfortunate victim of being on a deep team. He has to take some blame as well since he didn't improve from his first year in NA, hopefully this trade shakes him up to work on his shortcomings.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Idk man. The first thing Jon Cooper did was put him with Kucherov. It used to be the new guys toiled on the 4th line until some goofy shit happened that gave a chance. Remember we only got the TKO line because Brett Connolly was injured. Jonathan Drouin was another really rough example. He was stapled to J.T Brown.

I can't say Volkov didn't get a chance. Other than Brayden Point I can't think of the last time Cooper gave a young forward that big of a chance off the bat and even then I wanna say it was with Val Filppula. Cirelli and Gourde were asked to be energy players and didn't need such an advantage to start their careers.

I really think being told he had to go back to Syracuse a 3rd year really gassed him. He clearly understood why he had to play in the AHL but I think he tired of how slow the Lightning take things on top of adjusting to North America. Your goal scoring doesn't drop by like half with that much talent unless you're checked out or hit a wall in your development

He definitely got a chance, but on a team like Anaheim, he's more likely to find himself as an offensive contributer than here. Volkov's frustration was apparent in those comments he made awhile back, but I never felt that compete level was an issue when he was dressed, especially this season. He actually seemed to ramp up his physical game and make an effort to become a more well-rounded player, but just never really seemed to "fit in" at least in more of a checking/4th line role. While I was never impressed by Volkov, I thought he was serviceable enough given his situation.

Reactions: Peacefool

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Volkov was so weak on the puck and got bodied a lot. Both he and Colton got 4th line roles and Colton looked much better.

Wasn't a big fan of Volkov to begin with but hopefully he can produce with the Ducks.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop on Volkov:
"I'm always just going to remember game 6. The kid spent 64 days in the bubble, worked his tail off, and earned his right to play in game 6 in what might be the biggest game of his life. He gave us a contribution. He drew a penalty in which we scored on the power play and we won the Stanley Cup. We needed everybody involved, even guys who didn't get a ton of minutes during the bubble, and Volky gave it to us. He'll always live in Lightning history as a contributor to a Stanley Cup. Now he's moved on and player reasons, you know why guys move, we're just- with the cap situation and it's tough. I wish him nothing but the best. He was a great teammate for us."

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
I don't know much about Morand, but from what I've read he seems a lot more like what the Lightning are looking for than Volkov. Gritty, 2-way, ultra-competitive. Neither of these guys are going to be top-6 forwards, but at least Morand has the attributes the Lightning value in a bottom-6 guy. Good luck to Volkov, I'm sure he'll get more opportunities in Anaheim than he'd have gotten here.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Many things working against Volkov, but I liked him and his potential. No one he could knock out of the lineup , we needed to clear some cap little by little and we couldn't send him down without clearing waivers where we surely would have lost him. At least we got something for him. As good as we are , even the forwards we can't keep become stars on other teams and could see that happening with Volkov.

Reactions: Peacefool

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I would bet we wouldn't have gone to the trouble of trading him if we could have just sent him down without having to expose him to waivers.

He's more likely to be an NHLer than either of the pieces we got back for him, but he's also probably not a big loss.

Reactions: NatoGhost

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
This is a tough place to play. Half of that is we have a deep veteran team in Tampa. One of the best in the NHL. The other half is we draft & develop as well as anybody and as long as that's true, there will always been competition not just in front of you, but behind you as well. This is a competitive business. As a fan, I was holding out for Volkov, but guys aren't going to patiently wait their turn in line for him either.

Volkov's problem, our problem, that log jam, that's always a good problem to have. Maybe we lose a few guys here and there but that's a sign of a healthy franchise when you don't have enough room in the lineup for everyone. We do need these young guys as we try to work with the cap and I was hoping Volkov would still be one of them standing here for next year. But even without a Johnson or a Killorn, he would still have to fight with Colton, Joseph, Stephens, ABB, and whoever else is coming next.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
His name is on the cup. To him, that's a career in many respects as so many players dream to have that happen.

Volkov could have been great, but always seemed tentative whereas Colton likes to get dirty and play solid defense.

It wasn't just a salary move, it was about a move to do it again. Colton might provide some quality minutes in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hint1k

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
This is a tough place to play. Half of that is we have a deep veteran team in Tampa. One of the best in the NHL. The other half is we draft & develop as well as anybody and as long as that's true, there will always been competition not just in front of you, but behind you as well. This is a competitive business. As a fan, I was holding out for Volkov, but guys aren't going to patiently wait their turn in line for him either.

Volkov's problem, our problem, that log jam, that's always a good problem to have. Maybe we lose a few guys here and there but that's a sign of a healthy franchise when you don't have enough room in the lineup for everyone. We do need these young guys as we try to work with the cap and I was hoping Volkov would still be one of them standing here for next year. But even without a Johnson or a Killorn, he would still have to fight with Colton, Joseph, Stephens, ABB, and whoever else is coming next.

I think that is an excellent assessment of the situation! Truth & facts, straight to the point. Without dogging an outgoing player, just understanding the game (and business) as it is. NOBODY is gonna "wait for their turn".... what if Drew Bledsoe doesn't get injured? Does an unknown rookie QB Tom Brady even get a chance at starting?? Who knows...that's life in the sports BUSINESS

(side note)- as much as i used to dislike Tb12, i always respect what he's done....now???? I friggin' love his guy :nod:

(2nd side note)- what brady has done for the Bucs, is right there with what Jeff Vinik has meant to the Bolts....very few people in history can have such an impact for a franchise/town...these guys are 2 examples of how an entire culture & organization can change for the better.... (even if they both come from friggn' Boston :sarcasm: )

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Sucks we had to trade him, but it was excepted. At the end of the day, he reached the absolute pinnacle of hockey by winning the Stanley Cup.

17DC52B0-5E13-4722-9E6A-29EF63021A8C.jpeg

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I wanted him to succeed but he just wasn't good enough. Won't miss him one bit. Thanks for that Game 6 effort tho Volky !

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
For anyone curious, Volkov will play his first game with Anaheim tonight

Haven’t seen anything official but Morand could play his first for Syracuse tonight too

Reactions: NatoGhost

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Volkov just scored a goal lol right after he couldnt raise the puck on an open net

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Anaheim announcers were saying the Volkov requested a trade out of Tampa cause of frustrations of not playing. i know we are known for no news coming out but i think we would have heard about a trade request from somewhere

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Anaheim announcers were saying the Volkov requested a trade out of Tampa cause of frustrations of not playing. i know we are known for no news coming out but i think we would have heard about a trade request from somewhere

Not so sure. He was pretty critical of the team a year or two ago when we sent him down. I don't think he was happy with the logjam here.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He said in an interview with the ducks' beat writer that he asked for the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00