Confirmed with Link: [TBL/ANA] Lightning trade Alexander Volkov for Antoine Morand and a 2023 7th round pick

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Definitely just passed on the depth chart. What a disappointment.

He was a double overager drafted with a late 2nd. He's made the NHL and while not looking too hot still could be useful for some team. I wouldn't call that a disappointment, I think we had too high hopes. We've had far worse disappointments from the 2nd round before. He was hurt more by our forward depth than so much Colton. If we didn't have such a strong lineup he would've gotten a chance like he probably will in Anaheim. Let's see how he does there. Maybe we can get a 5th + Mahura/Guhle or something.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Morand is a smallish center who has a great motor and some skill that hasn't come out just yet in the AHL. You guys are awesome at developing players, so I wouldn't be surprised if he became a bottom six energy guy who chips in some offense.

At the very least he will help the farm team and be a fan favorite just on work ethic alone.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Antoine Morand + 2023 7th. Morand was drafted the same year as Volkov in the 2nd round as well at pick 60. Was a promising player his draft year but his offensive numbers never improved from that point, he never took the next step offensively. His AHL numbers haven't been that good either. He is a C and with Colton done in Syracuse they could use a replacement. Don't see an NHL future since he's undersized, not great defensively and isn't putting up much points wise. Hopefully he can at least help the Crunch. Hopefully Volkov gets more of a chance but even if he figures it out I don't see more than a 20 point 3/4th liner so no big loss as we have better ones who'll take his spot.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Morand is a smallish center who has a great motor and some skill that hasn't come out just yet in the AHL. You guys are awesome at developing players, so I wouldn't be surprised if he became a bottom six energy guy who chips in some offense.

At the very least he will help the farm team and be a fan favorite just on work ethic alone.
I'll add on to this. He is a quality penalty killer (at least at the AHL level), and he has a knack for drawing penalties. It's tough to not like him after watching him a few times.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Kind of saw this coming, loved Volkov and had high hopes for him but he just couldnt keep his spot. Morand should bring a bit of depth to the crunch for a few years and hopefully he can find his scoring touch here

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I assume this means Stephens is coming back off LTIR and McDonagh is still hurt.

We would've needed to send someone down when Stephens comes back. Borgman and Foote are the only guys on the roster who are exempt from waivers, bit we need them both with McDonagh out.

Rather than waive Volkov, looks like we salvaged something for him. I don't know, maybe we could've used the emergency exception, but it was probably the right time to do this anyway. I mean, once Kuch is back he'd be at best our 15th forward for 12 slots (Stephens and Colton ahead of him).

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
This is kinda like how we parted with Koekkoek (and got Rutta). We needed to send Koekkoek down, but weren't sure he'd pass through waivers. We traded him for Rutta, who was on a bad contract but who was in the AHL already having made it through waivers.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Hope Volkov can find himself in a more significant role with Anaheim. He wasn't bad for us, just wasn't a good fit in such a minimal role and playing alongside some of the less skilled players. All the best to him, and nice to see us gain some cap space albeit a very small amount.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Low IQ low motor Mediocre skill glad he’s gone. Keep looking for a PWF and have ended up with Panik Erne and Volkov all who have the same issues. Eventually we have to hit right?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hope Volkov can find himself in a more significant role with Anaheim. He wasn't bad for us, just wasn't a good fit in such a minimal role and playing alongside some of the less skilled players. All the best to him, and nice to see us gain some cap space albeit a very small amount.

Idk man. The first thing Jon Cooper did was put him with Kucherov. It used to be the new guys toiled on the 4th line until some goofy shit happened that gave a chance. Remember we only got the TKO line because Brett Connolly was injured. Jonathan Drouin was another really rough example. He was stapled to J.T Brown.

I can't say Volkov didn't get a chance. Other than Brayden Point I can't think of the last time Cooper gave a young forward that big of a chance off the bat and even then I wanna say it was with Val Filppula. Cirelli and Gourde were asked to be energy players and didn't need such an advantage to start their careers.

I really think being told he had to go back to Syracuse a 3rd year really gassed him. He clearly understood why he had to play in the AHL but I think he tired of how slow the Lightning take things on top of adjusting to North America. Your goal scoring doesn't drop by like half with that much talent unless you're checked out or hit a wall in your development

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad