Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Alex Killorn (7 years $4.45M AAV)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Continues to develop? He'll be 27 to start next season. He is what he is and this contract is pretty fair. Maybe a little overpay but not terrible.

Totally agree. I'm not counting on some offensive regular season breakout, but he's good for what he is. Lots of teams look for their Joel Ward or whoever as that last piece to push them over the top. I hope we can make this work.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yzerman is one of the sharpest Hockey Execs in the NHL. I don't think this deal is a bad one, nor do I think it is a great one. It is fair, and it is designed to keep a core together since this team is already a very good one, that should be contending for the Cup for some time. Killorn is a good hockey player. 4.45 per is a good number. The term is the risk, but Yzerman won on the 4.45 part.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
So a guy who averages 15 goals and 40 points is worth what on a 5 year deal, 5 million? He isn't worth 4.45 million on a one year deal. If they were going to give him a 7 year deal the cap hit should been in the 3.5 - 4.0 million range. Flat out, this is not a good deal for Tampa. Too much term and an average annual value that cannot be justified for what the player brings to the table.

AK was 1 year from UFA eligibility. Any guesses what he would have been worth as a 27 YO UFA? I'd bet he get $5M from someone. It would be an overpayment, but I have no doubt he would have gotten that from someone.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Wonder if they try to sell Kucherov, Johnson, and Palat on taking matching contracts to keep the team together. 6*6 each.

Lock up Drouin to an extension before the season starts. Cheapest possible 2 or 3 year bridge deal.

Try to find a taker for Filipula, even if it means taking on a bad contract that expires at the end of this season. That gets them out of the final year of Filipula's contract.

If they do that, Boyle, Filipula, and Bishop are all off the books next season.

They could keep their team together, but it relies heavily on their stars buying into the idea that they should all take discounts to play for a championship team. If they hand out NMC and NTC, maybe the tax advantage would be enough to sway players to do it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
AK was 1 year from UFA eligibility. Any guesses what he would have been worth as a 27 YO UFA? I'd bet he get $5M from someone. It would be an overpayment, but I have no doubt he would have gotten that from someone.

5M x 5 years to be modest to start is my guess. If we look at the deals similar players got this summer. Yzerman did well.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Gonna wait to see the big picture before judging this deal. They just locked up Hedman and Stamkos long term. Killorn might be an important part of that TB group in the room, and this might be the first domino to fall in Yzerman trying to get everybody on board with leaving a bit on the table to keep the group together for the next half decade.

It goes both ways. If they want everybody to buy into staying long term for less cap, they can't just disclude one of the guys because be is a lesser star. I think the term is the big story here and I wouldn't be surprised if the Lightning go full Panthers and lock everybody up this off season.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Yzerman is one of the sharpest Hockey Execs in the NHL. I don't think this deal is a bad one, nor do I think it is a great one. It is fair, and it is designed to keep a core together since this team is already a very good one, that should be contending for the Cup for some time. Killorn is a good hockey player. 4.45 per is a good number. The term is the risk, but Yzerman won on the 4.45 part.

I agree, and while the term is definitely a risk we're talking about a guy who has missed all of twelve games his entire NHL career (eleven of those in one season), whose offensive game isn't heavily dependent on speed, and who brings a strong defensive component along with his scoring. So while catastrophic injuries can happen to anybody we aren't talking about an injury prone speedster whose production is likely to decline dramatically once injuries or age rob him of his physical advantages and who won't be able to contribute much of anything else once that happens. Killorn is durable, consistent, and even if he loses some of his offensive production by the end of the deal he'll still be a valuable third line shutdown guy on a lower AAV than we're paying Callahan and Filppula now. I wouldn't call it a bargain ("the best I ever haaaaaad") but it's not a bad deal.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
When I see what the UFA wingers got this year the Killorn deal looks damn good. Most are 4-5 years older and got more money. Tampa is a cup contending team and if we let him go who is going to replace his minutes and what would they cost? So, the smart guys please explain who Tampa can get for 4.4 and why they are better than Killorn for the Bolts instead of vague reasons like not worth it and overpay c$%p.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'm sorry, I don't see Alex Killorn being worthy of 4.5M in his early 30's. Will be a fair deal for a few years, but 7 years was way too much term.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree, and while the term is definitely a risk we're talking about a guy who has missed all of twelve games his entire NHL career (eleven of those in one season), whose offensive game isn't heavily dependent on speed, and who brings a strong defensive component along with his scoring. So while catastrophic injuries can happen to anybody we aren't talking about an injury prone speedster whose production is likely to decline dramatically once injuries or age rob him of his physical advantages and who won't be able to contribute much of anything else once that happens. Killorn is durable, consistent, and even if he loses some of his offensive production by the end of the deal he'll still be a valuable third line shutdown guy on a lower AAV than we're paying Callahan and Filppula now. I wouldn't call it a bargain ("the best I ever haaaaaad") but it's not a bad deal.

I like Killorn, as others have noted he is a guy that also seems to rise to the playoffs. There is an 'X' value for players that perform like this. Yzerman is trying to keep a very sound core together. I know I prefer Killorn's contract over Andrew Ladd's. If we look at that deal and compare it to this one. I think Yzerman did very well here.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If you keep handing out 7 years to third-line wingers, you won't have enough money to keep all of them. But keep on being snarky in view of legitimate comments.

Good thing were not handing out 7 year deals to 3rd liners.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016

This posts sums up my thoughts very well. It isn't a 'steal' or anything, but it is what it is, which is a pretty average deal designed to keep a good team together.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Seems like a contract where you're paying a guy for his past achievements.. what's Killorn going to be like in 5 years? These contracts always come back and sting. But if Tampa wins a cup with him being a big part of it, then who really cares I guess.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Seven years?

Well, that's a long enough time. Maybe he'll score as many as 20 goals in one or two of them. I know that's a bit of wishful thinking. Because he hasn't done that yet, and most players don't bust out at 27years of age or more, but Stevie Y is a genius and all and he must surely know what he's doing.

Because otherwise, that looks like a lot of money for a lot of time for a player who really hasn't done a whole heck of a lot and should be at his prime right about now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad