Post-Game Talk: TB @ Senators 1/4/2015 - The One With The Penalty Kills

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I agree with your disagreement. He was way out of control in the net. Overcompensating and as a result flailing.

Still can't control rebounds to save his life either.

He's still young, he's going to struggle to be consistent. This was his first start in two weeks, it happens to the best of them.

He didn't have a good game tonight, thats for sure though. A couple of times I was blown away by what he was doing

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So would you give Lehner next game to rebound or would you go back to Anderson?

The coach will probably play Anderson next game, but maybe it is time to let Lehner start some games in a row.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Yzerman must have tried really hard not to laugh when he traded Bishop for Conacher and a 4th, with Johnson/Kucherov/Palat waiting in the wings.

Wonder if he would have traded Johnson instead

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
lehner has to earn his starts

i don't understand why people here are so set on giving young players so much ice when they might not have earned it

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Yzerman must have tried really hard not to laugh when he traded Bishop for Conacher and a 4th, with Johnson/Kucherov/Palat waiting in the wings.

Wonder if he would have traded Johnson instead
i believe we liked Conacher. he impressed our staff when Bingo played his team. so that plus other poor offers made the decision straight forward.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
It sucks watching Pageau with Chiasson and Michalek, but the only other options really are Greening and Condra. God I wish they'd trade some of these bottom 6ers before Lazar comes back.

Hell, any trade would work. You gonna roll with 8 D all year Murray? 4 of them literally rotate as healthy scratches and Methot is going to be beyond rusty when he comes back, I sure hope we're not hoping he can save this defense.

Neil and Smith are coming back soon (unfortunately), are you going to send Pageau down for them or Greening? Lazar back to juniors? If you want to contend, make a trade, if you want to write this season off as a rebuilding year, make a trade. Sick of this "We're happy with the players we have" bull the team keeps spewing.

Firing Maclean was probably the right idea, but the fact that he had this lowest cap spending team in the league at .500 was admirable

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lehner hasn't played in weeks the fact that he still kept the team in this game was more then enough. The goals scored on him were all goals that could be scored on any goalie in this league.

They could be scored on any goalie if they played them as poorly as he did.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
These guys are supposed to be professionals. But they are quite literally dirt bags. Wouldn't surprise me if some games were rigged ala FIFA. Some of the calls I have seen these refs make, not just on our team, but in general, are idiotic.

The far more likely explanation, as you said in your post, is that they are idiots

Not conspirators

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So would you give Lehner next game to rebound or would you go back to Anderson?

The coach will probably play Anderson next game, but maybe it is time to let Lehner start some games in a row.

As long as the playoffs are a possibility Anderson should be starting as much as possible except in back-to-backs

Lehner has too many holes in his game to be dependable at crunch time

Once the playoffs are out of the picture I'd start him a lot more, he needs to improve: he hasn't improved a ton since getting to the NHL and while he's still very young, I'd like to see him start get better at rebounds and other issues

He's gotten better at shootouts and he said he wanted to get better at them and did, so it's doable

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Let me say I have no idea which direction we are going, even with Lazar coming back I can't see it changing much. I think we are drafting 8-10, we just can't win 3 in a row

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
I am in huge minority here, but i hope Smith and Neil is coming back soon. I miss momentum changing fights and open ice hits. No one in our bottom 6 is better than them anyway in playing hockey. At list we can play tougher with them in a lineup. Lehner had a not very good game, but he make some huge saves. Without them it will be a blowout.
Most depressing is watch how much less skills have many our players compared to opposition. Some trades need to be done, if plan is to fight for PO spot. Some new players showing something to their new team may can push others to show more on the ice.
Zibby, Cowen, Wier, Pageau, Greening, Condra (Michalek and Legwand are untradeable, sadly). Id package this players for almost anything. Add Methot (possible long term injuty problems). Good D and winger should be targets.

Mac-Turris/Lazar-x/Stone
Hoffman-Lazar/Turris-Ryan
X/Stone-Smith/Legwand-Chiasson
Michalek-Legwand/Smith-Neil

x/Claesson-Karlsson
x/Claesson-Ceci
Phillips-Gryba

Much better looking team. At list we can evaluate Claesson and Lazar on their projected positions. Many can say, that Lazar is not #1,2 C material, but he deffinitely cant be worse than Zibby. At list he have a passion and grit.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
lehner has to earn his starts

i don't understand why people here are so set on giving young players so much ice when they might not have earned it

He has earned some starts. By bailing us out of more than a few games over the past 3 years. I'm not saying he should be our number 1, but it would be good for development to have him start a few. Even 2-3 In a row. It's not "handing him the reigns"

It's like suggesting giving lazar a few shifts with the talented guys every game or every few games. It's not go gifting anything to him,it's just to help them develop.

**** not directed at you. But my above opinion(s) do not mean I want to become "Edmonton 2.0".

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I am in huge minority here, but i hope Smith and Neil is coming back soon. I miss momentum changing fights and open ice hits. No one in our bottom 6 is better than them anyway in playing hockey. At list we can play tougher with them in a lineup. Lehner had a not very good game, but he make some huge saves. Without them it will be a blowout.
Most depressing is watch how much less skills have many our players compared to opposition. Some trades need to be done, if plan is to fight for PO spot. Some new players showing something to their new team may can push others to show more on the ice.
Zibby, Cowen, Wier, Pageau, Greening, Condra (Michalek and Legwand are untradeable, sadly). Id package this players for almost anything. Add Methot (possible long term injuty problems). Good D and winger should be targets.

Mac-Turris/Lazar-x/Stone
Hoffman-Lazar/Turris-Ryan
X/Stone-Smith/Legwand-Chiasson
Michalek-Legwand/Smith-Neil

x/Claesson-Karlsson
x/Claesson-Ceci
Phillips-Gryba

Much better looking team. At list we can evaluate Claesson and Lazar on their projected positions. Many can say, that Lazar is not #1,2 C material, but he deffinitely cant be worse than Zibby. At list he have a passion and grit.

Our bottom six has looked so much better with smith, Neil out. And pageau, condra in.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would like to see what Cameron's system looks like with the same roster that MacLean was stuck with. That will give a better indication of the difference between the two coaches.

On Lehner and Andy, I don't like the idea of either of our guys going 2+ weeks without a start. I have a bad feeling that we've royally screwed up Lehner. Ideally, he should've spent another 2 seasons getting the majority of starts in Bingo before being brought up. We can't change the past, but we can't continue to damage his future by having him sit all the time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would like to see what Cameron's system looks like with the same roster that MacLean was stuck with. That will give a better indication of the difference between the two coaches.

On Lehner and Andy, I don't like the idea of either of our guys going 2+ weeks without a start. I have a bad feeling that we've royally screwed up Lehner. Ideally, he should've spent another 2 seasons getting the majority of starts in Bingo before being brought up. We can't change the past, but we can't continue to damage his future by having him sit all the time.

The roster is the same with the exception of Lazar out, Pageau in. MacLean opted to play Neil and Smith over Condra and Greening, as well as Phillips over Wiercioch. I suppose we could ask whether or not Cameron would scratch Neil in favour of Condra, and I think he'd probably play Smith over Greening (judging by the icetime Greening is getting) which honestly might actually be a good thing. We already know that Cameron is more prone to scratching Phillips than MacLean was.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A few things from last night:

Firstly, I was hopeful that a good night's sleep and a new day might make me feel better about the Stamkos goal. It didn't. That was SO soul destroying. Hey, if you want to make the Plays of the Week, just come to Ottawa. In the words of my 15 year old daughter, I can't even. (Teenagers at home will give you an idea of what I answered on the age survey.)

Secondly, Pageau needs to start contributing if he doesn't want to keep riding the Bingo shuttle. I like the guy and I want him to have success, but he simply has to find a way to contribute offensively. Hoffman did it from limited minutes and/or non-optimum linemates, and now Pageau has to do the same. Otherwise, the club will simply look at him and Smith, conclude that Smith at least brings some sandpaper, and play him when he returns.

Finally, Lehner - I am a huge Lehner fan, but he did not look particularly sharp last night. As others have already noted, he overplays pucks badly, and his rebound control is poor. Sure, his athleticism is off the charts, probably better than Andy's, but his fundamentals and goaltending zen just aren't where they need to be right now. Andy would have given us a better chance to win that game.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Lehner's record in his past 5 games

1-3-1

.883 SV%

Four games he let in 4 goals, 3 EV GA and 1PP GA in each game

In the 1 win he let in 2 GA, 1 EV GA and 1 SH GA

To be fair he's had tough starts and only 2 games in a row.

Opponents were TBL, BOS, BUF, MTL, TBL

I feel like we need to start giving him some easier games, but OTOH we also need to start getting some wins, which means Andy will be starting as much as possible.

4 game road trip coming up

PHI
COL
ARZ
DAL

He probably only gets 1 of these games, probably Arizona. Not a bad idea because they have the worst offence of the four teams.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This was a winnable game and the Sens threw it away.

That is all.

Had the sens won, Tbay would be saying this was a two foot put game and they threw it away. Sure we got the lead and gave it up, but Tbay is a better team, and were rested where as we were on the tail end of a back to back starting our backup.

I wasn't expecting a win going in; for us, any points garnered from that game should have been considered a bonus, as we had just about everything against us (including some suspect calls, but that happens to everyone).

I'd have like to see a bit more push back, but if this is what our bad games look like when the deck is stacked against us, I'm happy.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Also: I loved seeing the ref give the "covert finger" to the fans who were booing him when he was put up on the scoreboard late in the 3rd, after all of that penalty foolishness.

Ref was terrible tonight, no doubt about it, but that made me laugh.

Haha that was hilarious. The camera man just kept putting the spotlight on him and the boos were raining down haaaarrrdddd.

I remember when that Chiasson penalty was called, the crowd practically exploded

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad