Post-Game Talk: TB @ Senators 1/4/2015 - The One With The Penalty Kills

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Pretty sure I saw you, were you near section 310? Saw a big bald guy wearing an old school white Bonk jersey

Nope, I was in section 109, wearing a red Hossa jersey. I was there with my son, who was wearing the old Black 3d logo 2000-era 3rd jersey.

What is wrong with him?

Lateral movement was beyond awful tonight. Bolts scored almost at will against empty nets that should never have been empty. Almost every cross-ice pass in our own zone was in danger of going in our net because Lehner could not get across his own crease.

JBucephalus

Jan 8, 2013
Agreed

I just think it could have not been called but there's a valid argument to saying that, for player safety, they ought to call this everytime

That is one they have to call. They've put a lot of emphasis on trying to reduce head injuries(which they certainly should) in recent years and while you can't eliminate them completely, you can certainly call the blatant ones(although I doubt it was intentional).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed

I just think it could have not been called but there's a valid argument to saying that, for player safety, they ought to call this everytime

I think the only reason you shouldn't call a headshot a penalty is if there was no way for the hitter to make a hit without head contact, or if the head contact was in spite of the hitters best efforts to avoid it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nope, I was in section 109, wearing a red Hossa jersey. I was there with my son, who was wearing the old Black 3d logo 2000-era 3rd jersey.

Lateral movement was beyond awful tonight. Bolts scored almost at will against empty nets that should never have been empty. Almost every cross-ice pass in our own zone was in danger of going in our net because Lehner could not get across his own crease.

To be fair, that last one was a beauty fake shot slap pass. That would have faked out most goalies imo.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
To be fair, that last one was a beauty fake shot slap pass. That would have faked out most goalies imo.

The 4th goal? Sure, that's probably the only goal that wasn't 100% on Lehner. I mean, it's still on him, but it's at least understandable.

First goal, Hedman had a wide open net because Lehner gave up a massive rebound and was on his arse for no good reason.
Second goal, Johnson has ALL DAY because Lehner couldn't move post-to-post. It's not even a one timer, he receives the pass, and takes his time to put it on a wide open net.
Third goal, Stamkos just tucks it past Lehner, who is again inexplicably on his butt.

I'm not saying Lehner is terrible. I'm just saying he was terrible tonight.

JBucephalus

Jan 8, 2013
The 4th goal? Sure, that's probably the only goal that wasn't 100% on Lehner. I mean, it's still on him, but it's at least understandable.

First goal, Hedman had a wide open net because Lehner gave up a massive rebound and was on his arse for no good reason.
Second goal, Johnson has ALL DAY because Lehner couldn't move post-to-post. It's not even a one timer, he receives the pass, and takes his time to put it on a wide open net.
Third goal, Stamkos just tucks it past Lehner, who is again inexplicably on his butt.

I'm not saying Lehner is terrible. I'm just saying he was terrible tonight.

Agreed. He still has some bugs to work out of his game. I think he is capable of improving in the coming seasons. We're going to need it.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

I noticed that a lot too. His bad positioning made the Bolts' goals look a lot better than they were.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Also: I loved seeing the ref give the "covert finger" to the fans who were booing him when he was put up on the scoreboard late in the 3rd, after all of that penalty foolishness.

Ref was terrible tonight, no doubt about it, but that made me laugh.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Anyone else starting to worry about Lehner's play this season...?

He just looks off this year.

As far as I am concerned, the two goalies should be sharing the load. Instead they did about the same thing as they did last season. Lehner gets a lot of starts at the beginning of the season and then sits and rots on the bench for the rest of the time. If we are developing our young players as Cameron and Murray so aptly put it, then freaken well develop them. Give Lehner half the starts.

I think Lehner is also going through the, I am a new Dad and barely getting any sleep doldrums.

Either way, if we make the playoffs it will be sheer luck. If we don't, it doesn't really matter about the veterans and their minutes. We need to develop the future. Sit Phillips and bring up Claesson until Methot is sufficiently recouped.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
lehner's legs were tired. pj stock and elliotte friedman demonstrated how

Didn't see the Stock/Friedman thing, but if a potential starting goalie's legs are too tired to get his arse off the ice for a goal in the 1st period, then there are serious conditioning issues that need to be addressed going forward.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Also: I loved seeing the ref give the "covert finger" to the fans who were booing him when he was put up on the scoreboard late in the 3rd, after all of that penalty foolishness.

Ref was terrible tonight, no doubt about it, but that made me laugh.

These guys are supposed to be professionals. But they are quite literally dirt bags. Wouldn't surprise me if some games were rigged ala FIFA. Some of the calls I have seen these refs make, not just on our team, but in general, are idiotic.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Man, Lehner. Why was he flailing so much today. It's like night and day between Lehner and Andy in terms of control.

Speedy teams will always cause us issues. We are just too damn slow on the back end.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Didn't see the Stock/Friedman thing, but if a potential starting goalie's legs are too tired to get his arse off the ice for a goal in the 1st period, then there are serious conditioning issues that need to be addressed going forward.

Lehner has not looked like himself. But it also seems like when he is in net this team gives up horrible chances against. The team looked like a bunch of waffes tonight on many of the plays. As soon as Tampa started to skate, we just stopped. We let them dictate the pace from the second period onward.

I am sick of these skate around the net, circle around and score plays that our team has given up on multiple occasions. Our D should stop watching Turris chase Stamkos around and just step out and hammer the kid.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Man, Lehner. Why was he flailing so much today. It's like night and day between Lehner and Andy in terms of control.

Speedy teams will always cause us issues. We are just too damn slow on the back end.

Karlsson, Cowen and Ceci can all skate. We are not that slow. We just stop skating... period. Our forwards were also jumping out of our zone way too early and Tampa was taking clear advantage seen by the neutral zone turn overs we gave up aplenty.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
it was probably nothing, just the CBC guys getting a little silly (friedman and stock squatted while doing the intermission, saying Lehner had to do it because we were stick in our zone for a long time up to the goal)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

It was just for the first goal. They had like 2 minutes of zone time. Lehner was in a crouch for 2 minutes. Going up and down from the butter fly back up to he crouch. No matter your conditioning. You are dead tired.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
As far as I am concerned, the two goalies should be sharing the load. Instead they did about the same thing as they did last season. Lehner gets a lot of starts at the beginning of the season and then sits and rots on the bench for the rest of the time. If we are developing our young players as Cameron and Murray so aptly put it, then freaken well develop them. Give Lehner half the starts.

I think Lehner is also going through the, I am a new Dad and barely getting any sleep doldrums.

Either way, if we make the playoffs it will be sheer luck. If we don't, it doesn't really matter about the veterans and their minutes. We need to develop the future. Sit Phillips and bring up Claesson until Methot is sufficiently recouped.

That's not the team's fault. Lehner has missed large stretches of time this season with injuries and sickness. Can't fault the team for riding the hot hand when the other guy isn't there.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Karlsson, Cowen and Ceci can all skate. We are not that slow. We just stop skating... period. Our forwards were also jumping out of our zone way too early and Tampa was taking clear advantage seen by the neutral zone turn overs we gave up aplenty.

I would say only Karlsson and Ceci are really good skaters. Cowen is just average. Which leaves the other half of our D below average. I think that's the biggest issue with this team. The mobility of the D. Sure we are huge and physical, but slow.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Lehner hasn't played in weeks the fact that he still kept the team in this game was more then enough. The goals scored on him were all goals that could be scored on any goalie in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad