Speculation: Taylor Hall trade/contract talk (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Absolutely, I'm not trying to say Byram has the value Jones had back then, he doesn't. I think Seth Jones is amazing and would be Byram's ceiling right now.

Good luck to you guys. I remember the ROR and Duchene trade sagas, it was painful. Shero seems like a good trader I hope you guys get a good return to help build around your first overall centers.

Friedman (I think it was him) mentioned how it’s believed a Colorado/Devils deal made the most sense because you have a lot of D and we need that.

But who is actually available on any level that would be fair (so no Byram, but no C+ guys either).

Is it just Zadarov on the NHL roster and Timmins as a prospect?

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Canucks fan here

Does this start a conversation?

Eriksson(cap reasons), Olli, Goldobin, 1st 2019/20

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Friedman (I think it was him) mentioned how it’s believed a Colorado/Devils deal made the most sense because you have a lot of D and we need that.

But who is actually available on any level that would be fair (so no Byram, but no C+ guys either).

Is it just Zadarov on the NHL roster and Timmins as a prospect?

I think it's more of the three factors; Avs can afford Hall both now and extended, Avs are winning so that might appeal to Hall, and the Avs have defensive prospects. But yeah take Byram out of the picture and it's just Zadorov and Timmins, so I'm not sure why Friedman is saying 'a lot of D'. We have Helleson but he's definitely a C prospect so I wouldn't try to pawn him off on you.

Honestly Timmins is the guy. Think Pietrangelo, Timmins plays that really smart two way game. He fell a bit in the draft and was the first pick of the second round in 2017 and his stock flew sky high after the WJCs and his fantastic D+1 year. His concussion kept him out all year last year, which is risky for sure, but he finally came back this year looking like he hasn't missed a beat, even made the Avs opening night roster after not playing a game of hockey for 12 months. I honestly see him giving Byram a run to become our second best defenseman behind Makar.

You're going to see a lot of pissed off Avs fans if Timmins is traded, which is always a good sign.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I mean, I really don't understand what you're getting at here. Did the Devils not need Niedermayer because they had Stevens? Yes, of course they need both. They want to ****ing win a cup.
Yeah I don't get how Makar makes Byram less of a piece. Sure he doesn't NEED to be a star but that would be like Pitt saying nah we don't need Malkin, we have Sid. You don't NEED Byram to be a stud but when he is, theyll have two cost controlled young 1D options which is a glorious thing to have.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think it's more of the three factors; Avs can afford Hall both now and extended, Avs are winning so that might appeal to Hall, and the Avs have defensive prospects. But yeah take Byram out of the picture and it's just Zadorov and Timmins, so I'm not sure why Friedman is saying 'a lot of D'. We have Helleson but he's definitely a C prospect so I wouldn't try to pawn him off on you.

Honestly Timmins is the guy. Think Pietrangelo, Timmins plays that really smart two way game. He fell a bit in the draft and was the first pick of the second round in 2017 and his stock flew sky high after the WJCs and his fantastic D+1 year. His concussion kept him out all year last year, which is risky for sure, but he finally came back this year looking like he hasn't missed a beat, even made the Avs opening night roster after not playing a game of hockey for 12 months. I honestly see him giving Byram a run to become our second best defenseman behind Makar.

You're going to see a lot of pissed off Avs fans if Timmins is traded, which is always a good sign.

Good to know. A few folks around here were making it sound like he wasn’t all that good, or worth being a major piece in this potential deal.

I was confused because I thought your fanbase was high on him.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah I don't get how Makar makes Byram less of a piece. Sure he doesn't NEED to be a star but that would be like Pitt saying nah we don't need Malkin, we have Sid. You don't NEED Byram to be a stud but when he is, theyll have two cost controlled young 1D options which is a glorious thing to have.

It’s why we wanted him so bad if we didn’t win the lotto. The idea of a left side of Byram and Smith was insanely appealing.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
nothing new here, just more smoke. full disclosure, i have not vetted friedman

Except like I said the sooner they move him the more value they get back. I still think Shero gives the team 10 games after Hynes to see if they can put something together.

if the devils go 9-1 ( I know) then he waits til the deadline. They go 3-7 then he’s gone at the end of the 10 games.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Except like I said the sooner they move him the more value they get back. I still think Shero gives the team 10 games after Hynes to see if they can put something together.

if the devils go 9-1 ( I know) then he waits til the deadline. They go 3-7 then he’s gone at the end of the 10 games.

You're wrong - the value increases at the trade deadline because that's when teams have the most money to spend. If Shero can find an offer he likes now and can eat some money on Hall's deal and take back a bad contract, he should do fine, but waiting will almost always create a better market.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
You're wrong - the value increases at the trade deadline because that's when teams have the most money to spend. If Shero can find an offer he likes now and can eat some money on Hall's deal and take back a bad contract, he should do fine, but waiting will almost always create a better market.

FFS. To get the best return, the Devils will eat as much of his salary as they have to. And now that they are not signing him to an extension (along with Vatanen, Simmonds, Greene, etc.) they can afford to take any team's worst contract on without batting an eye (they could probably take on Lucic and Backes and it wouldn't make a difference).

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It’s why we wanted him so bad if we didn’t win the lotto. The idea of a left side of Byram and Smith was insanely appealing.
Exactly. I was almost disappointed when we "lost" out on the opportunity to take him. But saying he's expendable because of a guy like Makar is silly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
FFS. To get the best return, the Devils will eat as much of his salary as they have to. And now that they are not signing him to an extension (along with Vatanen, Simmonds, Greene, etc.) they can afford to take any team's worst contract on without batting an eye (they could probably take on Lucic and Backes and it wouldn't make a difference).

It's like you didn't even read my post. First, the Devils shouldn't be taking on bad contracts that extend past this season - they're trying to win next year, so that's not a great idea. Second, they can't just eat as much salary 'as they have to' - the maximum they can eat is 50%. At present, there are 11 teams using LTIR exceptions - some of them could add Hall at half-retention and demoting a minimum salary player, but some of those cannot, and I'm not going to go through which teams have players who will return this season versus those who don't. 7 remaining teams cannot add Hall at half-retention and demoting a minimum salary without otherwise shedding salary. These teams not using LTIR will be banking cap space and should have more of it at the trade deadline, which increases the market.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Nowhere have I heard it said that we'd get more value sooner than later.

I'd like them to move him soon, but the consensus seems to be that you have to wait to see what teams are really in it in a couple of months. An injury could take a team out of the running, especially if (as most suppose) Hall is heading straight to UFA and isn't talking extension.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

it really isn’t that much of a difference of a few months between now and what it will be at the deadline. Besides I’m sure the devils will be taking salary back

Would you pay more to have something for longer or would you pay more to have something for less

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
so someone offered Klingberg, Harley, and a 1st from Dallas on the main board lmao

um deal?

I can top that one.

Devils FB is proposing this gem and completely are acting shocked when I said it was unrealistic.

Hall
Bratt
Jeremy Groleau

For

Loui Eriksson
Quinn Hughes
Michael Dipietro
2nd round picks
A conditional 2022 pick if hall signs an extension.

I too also like to dream.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
It's like you didn't even read my post. First, the Devils shouldn't be taking on bad contracts that extend past this season - they're trying to win next year, so that's not a great idea. Second, they can't just eat as much salary 'as they have to' - the maximum they can eat is 50%. At present, there are 11 teams using LTIR exceptions - some of them could add Hall at half-retention and demoting a minimum salary player, but some of those cannot, and I'm not going to go through which teams have players who will return this season versus those who don't. 7 remaining teams cannot add Hall at half-retention and demoting a minimum salary without otherwise shedding salary. These teams not using LTIR will be banking cap space and should have more of it at the trade deadline, which increases the market.
If the trade happened tomorrow, and Devils retained half, the team getting him would need 2 Mil in cap space. There is not a team in the league doesn't have 2 mil in cap space or can't shed that with a player swap. There is 10 teams that have less than 2 mil currently, out of those ten teams, most can figure it out, and if it is really impossible for a couple, oh well, there is 28 other teams who can take him.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

So when Hall actually gets traded sooner rather than anywhere close to the deadline, are you going to admit that you’re too clever by half?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
A team without Hall, Vatanen, Greene and probably others is not trying to win next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad