• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Taylor Hall is Overhyped and Underwhelming

https://thehockeywriters.com/taylor-hall-is-overhyped-underwhelming/

Coyotes gave up a fair bit not to even consider bringing him back. I believe even Hall said Coyotes never made any attempt to contact him after last season.

I think Edmonton might be an entirely different scenario from every other team.
I sure do. We're probably a welcome return compared to any other team. Think about what he'd do now that he sees he's not Gretz or Messier
But Anderson.
He can keep his pride and call it a hometown deal to win a cup.

Taylor Hall has no cards to play with the new guys in town.

Reactions: McOilers97

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I think Edmonton might be an entirely different scenario from every other team.
I sure do. We're probably a welcome return compared to any other team. Think about what he'd do now that he sees he's not Gretz or Messier
But Anderson.
He can keep his pride and call it a hometown deal to win a cup.

Taylor Hall has no cards to play with the new guys in town.
Andersons return to the Oilers was a mistake a divided the team and players hated him. Hall I see causing issues again with his sulking. Homecomings never work out and Halls time as an Oiler is in the past and should stay in the past.

#NoHallPLZ

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Andersons return to the Oilers was a mistake a divided the team and players hated him. Hall I see causing issues again with his sulking. Homecomings never work out and Halls time as an Oiler is in the past and should stay in the past.

#NoHallPLZ
He's still close with some players on the team, and Holland has tried bringing him back twice before. If there was a problem, I think McDavid would have gone to management by now and said they don't want Hall in the room.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He took the Barrie route.

He signed a 1 year deal with what looked like a favourable situation (getting to be Eichels right hand man). He wanted to blow the doors off and earn a big contract.

Barrie is doing the exact same thing on the Oilers, I find it interesting that you see so many people bashing Hall for this decision but no one says a peep about Barrie

because Barrie is performing and not paid 8M. Hall has 2 goals.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
He's still close with some players on the team, and Holland has tried bringing him back twice before. If there was a problem, I think McDavid would have gone to management by now and said they don't want Hall in the room.

Remembering how well Hall and Draisaitl played together during McDavid's injury, have to think Draisaitl would be into the idea of Hall on his LW again.

And Hall has in the past talked glowingly about Draisaitl. I remember Hall's first season in New Jersey right after being traded, he had said that he would bet on Draisaitl getting 70+ points that year, and he ended up with 77.

Reactions: Del Preston

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

#NoHallPLZ

I mean McDavid literally still hangs out with him, so if the captain wouldn't want the guy on the team, why would they be trying to possibly trade for him? Derp.

Reactions: McOilers97

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

#NoHallPLZ

Interesting. What evidence do you have that Homecomings never work?

Remember Smytty?

Reactions: Vagabond

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I do think we need an impact winger, and it seems options are drying up out there. If Hall is a realistic option, I hope our org makes a strong push. Even if he doesn't work with McDavid, he did have good chemistry with Draisaitl. I could imagine a cascade effect where a Hall-Drai-Yam (Hydra lol) gets super hot and that allows RNH-McDavid to regain chemistry

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

yea, bashing his production is fine - it's pretty brutal for 8m no doubt.But i'm more talking about people saying Hall is selfish or doesn't care about winning because he took a 1 year deal in Buffalo instead of signing with a cup contender.

With covid and the flat cap and all the uncertainty I think a 1 year deal was actually pretty savvy on Hall's part, but in hindsight he shouldn't have went to Buffalo.. not sure there's a more toxic situation to be in right now

Reactions: McOilers97 and TB12

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
yea, bashing his production is fine - it's pretty brutal for 8m no doubt.But i'm more talking about people saying Hall is selfish or doesn't care about winning because he took a 1 year deal in Buffalo instead of signing with a cup contender.

With covid and the flat cap and all the uncertainty I think a 1 year deal was actually pretty savvy on Hall's part, but in hindsight he shouldn't have went to Buffalo.. not sure there's a more toxic situation to be in right now

Yeah, at the time of signing he said Buffalo offered 1 or 2 years. The fact that he took 1 year could be interpreted several ways, and needing to wait a year due to cap constraints to sign with his desired team is one of them. It certainly doesn’t say “I want to play in Buffalo long-term”.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
If this trade happens, I’d be willing to bet that the player we get in Hall would be vastly different than the one that’s playing for Buffalo. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’d be a more excited and engaged player, playing like someone who’s got something to prove.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
If this trade happens, I’d be willing to bet that the player we get in Hall would be vastly different than the one that’s playing for Buffalo. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’d be a more excited and engaged player, playing like someone who’s got something to prove.

And would have an elite linemate to set up and be set up by. Hall would be 20+ goals again taking Draisaitl feeds.

Reactions: Echodek

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Oh I'm sure he'll play like his hair is on fire till the ink dries on his new deal. I can see why he wants an extension secured before he shits the bed in the playoffs

but odds are it'll be a train wreck as the guy with 2 goals tries to get his season on track in 8 or 9 games. Between gripping the stick and the pressure to perform we'll be treated to plenty of hall hockey cheating, floating and odd man rushes going the wrong way. I didn't think Holland was gonna go full chia but have my oiler branded dumpster fire ready to go as the new avatar should he stroke out n actually make this deal.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
The Oilers would regret trading Samorukov for the next 15 years. He is the left shooting D that will replace Larsson with just as mean a streak or more and has shown the offense in junior that leads to the probability he will putbup decent numbers in the pros. I would much rather give up Jones or Lagesson.

Reactions: Mickelsnitz

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The Oilers would regret trading Samorukov for the next 15 years. He is the left shooting D that will replace Larsson with just as mean a streak or more and has shown the offense in junior that leads to the probability he will putbup decent numbers in the pros. I would much rather give up Jones or Lagesson.

If you will only give up a worse player, then you’ll only ever get a worse player in return.

We have a decent stable of young prospects on D. Not all of them are going to be long-term Oilers. There isn’t room for Bouchard, Broberg, and Samorukov to all be here long-term, and honestly, it wouldn’t be good asset management. We can’t have half of our top 6 on D be early 20s aged and figuring things out at the NHL level at the same time. One of them probably will have to be dealt.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Interesting. What evidence do you have that Homecomings never work?

Remember Smytty?
Yeah we do remember smytty. It was a great story in the paper and a sad one on the ice. His best game as a 2 time oiler was his last one.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The funny thing about Hall fanboys is they insist he loved Edmonton wanted to play here so badly was done in wrong.

.... Okay well Taylor Hall prove it then. Tyson Barrie took an absolute sweetheart deal to come play here when he has zero ties to the oilers.

How about Taylor Hall start by saying he only wants to be traded to Edmonton at the deadline so we can have bargaining power in Edmonton. Second he resign for a $3.5 million for 3 years. It's too low? Well Tyson Barrie badly wanted to play in Edmonton and all I ever hear about is how much Taylor Hall loved Edmonton so...

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Yeah we do remember smytty. It was a great story in the paper and a sad one on the ice. His best game as a 2 time oiler was his last one.

We didn't need Smytty to be a first liner.
Just like Hall.

I wasn't convinced. There are lots of returning home stories through sports. They're not all failures. Hall wont be one

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
One guy is playing with Oilers (going to the playoffs) and the other in Buffalo (a steaming pile of burning crap). Strange how those two things aren't comparable. Your argument here resembles Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad