Speculation: Taylor Hall, the good, bad & ugly Bruin

Taylor Hall helps the Oilers win a Cup

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
fair enough, not really familiar with the guy tbh. Just saw a bunch of Oilers media following him so I wasn't sure

He's a nice guy in all honesty, but don't think he actually has any sources.
In fairness to him, there is smoke to the fire with Hall with the Oilers so we'll see.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That's ridiculous. They're not getting 2 first round picks and a defensive prospect even if Hall is extended with a favorable contract.
I choose to read it as BUF wants 2x1sts + Neal and EDM is offering 1st+D prospect+Neal instead.

I also choose to assume that the prospect overseas is Berglund and not Samorukov

Reactions: Pointteen

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

We Edmonton nerds know this.
Anyone following hockey should know he signed one year for money and expected to be traded this deadline. That's Hall's choice and kind of a smear on him.

He's just a douchebag. Our douchebag.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
HK’s personal vendetta against Hall is just honestly impressive at this point. I can’t say I’ve ever hated someone in my life as much as this guy hates Hall haha. I’ve definitely never devoted thousands of posts online about any one person anyways lol.

The ignore option is your friend. Getting to ignore several of these anti Hall and their narratives makes this thread so much better

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Anyone following hockey should know he signed one year for money and expected to be traded this deadline. That's Hall's choice and kind of a smear on him.

He took the Barrie route.

He signed a 1 year deal with what looked like a favourable situation (getting to be Eichels right hand man). He wanted to blow the doors off and earn a big contract.

Barrie is doing the exact same thing on the Oilers, I find it interesting that you see so many people bashing Hall for this decision but no one says a peep about Barrie

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Can't help a team win but NJD made the playoffs for the first time in 5 years in Halls Hart season, AZ made the playoffs for the first time in 7 years with Hall and won a series.

Looking at his teams win percentage when he was on the fkn Oilers for the first 6 years of his career is pretty disingenuous

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Ya it seemed like a completely obvious choice to sign with a contender. I think it must have to do with things more than just money. Like what role will he have on the team (top line? pp time? etc so he can get his points). He bet on the Sabres who seemingly had quality offensive talents and likely an assurance to play with the top players he wanted to (ie Eichel). I do think potentially his own point totals are more important than winning to him.

Reactions: Pointteen

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Moving Neal probably costs us a 1st anyways with the flat cap. Looks like fair value, especially if you couple with the Shannon thing of Nuge/Hall agreeing to 6M each on new deals to try to win something.

Gotta see to believe of course. Barely seeing any consistent Hall rumors yet.

Reactions: sepHF

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Can't help a team win but NJD made the playoffs for the first time in 5 years in Halls Hart season, AZ made the playoffs for the first time in 7 years with Hall and won a series.

Looking at his teams win percentage when he was on the fkn Oilers for the first 6 years of his career is pretty disingenuous

Ya.... AZ was dropping like a stone to high end lotto pick before covid hit. They got into the "playoffs" in a crap shoot best of 5 play in series when teams weren't all that prepared. They did not win a single round in the playoffs. Nice try.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Ya.... AZ was dropping like a stone to high end lotto pick before covid hit. They got into the "playoffs" in a crap shoot best of 5 play in series when teams weren't all that prepared. They did not win a single round in the playoffs. Nice try.

we can argue semantics but the NHL awarded them with a series win and gave the players the appropriate GP in the playoffs:

I know what you're saying though, but either way, that take Roenick has is a bad one

upload_2021-4-10_15-3-54.png

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
we can argue semantics but the NHL awarded them with a series win and gave the players the appropriate GP in the playoffs:

I know what you're saying though, but either way, that take Roenick has is a bad one

View attachment 420348

I think it's widely accepted despite how they choose to assign those stats that the play in series was not the real playoffs. And more importantly, if the season would not have stopped short due to covid the Coyotes would have finished well out of the playoffs..... after being first in the division right before Hall came.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I think it's widely accepted despite how they choose to assign those stats that the play in series was not the real playoffs. And more importantly, if the season would not have stopped short due to covid the Coyotes would have finished well out of the playoffs..... after being first in the division right before Hall came.

Forsure, either way, my point still stands. Hall can clearly help a team win, and using his overall winning percentage when he's spent the majority of his career on rebuilding clubs is disingenuous

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Forsure, either way, my point still stands. Hall can clearly help a team win, and using his overall winning percentage when he's spent the majority of his career on rebuilding clubs is disingenuous

I can agree that it maybe cannot be used as 100% definitive proof but I do think at the very least Hall does not make any of those situations any better (save for one year). I mean Buffalo was a 500 team last year. This year with Hall in the lineup they literally cannot be any worse of an NHL team. Maybe it aint all his fault but he sure didn't help whatsoever.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I can agree that it maybe cannot be used as 100% definitive proof but I do think at the very least Hall does not make any of those situations any better (save for one year). I mean Buffalo was a 500 team last year. This year with Hall in the lineup they literally cannot be any worse of an NHL team. Maybe it aint all his fault but he sure didn't help whatsoever.

Yea I agree with that, if you're looking at Hall to be THE GUY to turn things around you'll end up disappointed.

Dude can't be expected to carry a whole club consistently, especially now that he's getting older.

He could carry a 2nd line on the Oilers though :D

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Yea I agree with that, if you're looking at Hall to be THE GUY to turn things around you'll end up disappointed.

Dude can't be expected to carry a whole club consistently, especially now that he's getting older.

He could carry a 2nd line on the Oilers though :D

Yes, I think it's been obvious for a long time now that if hall's "the guy" on your team... your team likely sucks a**. I don't doubt, with the right linemates, he can produce some offence. I can't remember which insider it was that said (the other day) that hall needs particular linemates to succeed. Guys who defend well and can read off his chaotic play to supplement him. However, imo, what he may contribute offensively may not offset his numerous liabilities defensively and general strong buy into effort all over the ice.

Last edited:

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Ya it seemed like a completely obvious choice to sign with a contender. I think it must have to do with things more than just money. Like what role will he have on the team (top line? pp time? etc so he can get his points). He bet on the Sabres who seemingly had quality offensive talents and likely an assurance to play with the top players he wanted to (ie Eichel). I do think potentially his own point totals are more important than winning to him.

Interesting you say that about point totals versus winning because of the Hall/Seguin debates.

I think Hall was smart to take a one year. He bet on vaccines.

It just shouldn't have been Buffalo.

Reactions: HK97 and sepHF

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
The desire to chuck molotov cocktails in a still smoldering recently extinguished dumpster fire is beyond comprehension.

Reactions: HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Interesting you say that about point totals versus winning because of the Hall/Seguin debates.

I think Hall was smart to take a one year. He bet on vaccines.

It just shouldn't have been Buffalo.

Taylor Hall is Overhyped and Underwhelming

https://thehockeywriters.com/taylor-hall-is-overhyped-underwhelming/

Coyotes gave up a fair bit not to even consider bringing him back. I believe even Hall said Coyotes never made any attempt to contact him after last season.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
So we assume 2021 - 1st, Neal, and Samurokov for Hall at 50%?

Seems like a lot to give up for a player who has been good in the past, but is on a downward trend.

No way I kick in the 2022 - 1st rounder unless BUFFALO kicks us back a decent prospect as well.

Only way I make this trade is if Hall is already agreed to a Oilers friendly extension. But forget the 2022 - 1st rounder.
I heard Hall coming in at 50%, 5 years at 6 per as an extension but 2021 1st and 2022 1st with Neal going the other way. Kinda fits with Hall and Nuge at under 12 mill both extended that was being thrown out there by Doug Maclean and John Shannon. That is if Nuge is good with 5.5-5.75.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
upload_2021-4-11_9-38-36.jpeg

Going to be nice to see some of this in the playoffs this season. Get ‘er done Mr. Holland. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad