Taylor (Hall) or Tyler (Seguin)

Taylor or Tyler?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
for their careers, Hall is the slightly better pt producer /82 games and Seguin is slightly better at goal scoring. Seguin plays the more coveted position and has been more consistent throughout his career and Hall obviously has had the higher peak. It's close, but I will go with Seguin.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is clearly what have you done for me lately.

Seguin is still ahead but if Hall has another top 10 offensive season next year it'll be even IMO. I still remember TSN devoting 90% of their programming of June 2010 to Taylor vs Tyler

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
This is clearly what have you done for me lately.

Seguin is still ahead but if Hall has another top 10 offensive season next year it'll be even IMO. I still remember TSN devoting 90% of their programming of June 2010 to Taylor vs Tyler
Taylor Hall has 3 seasons being in the top 10 in scoring

Tyler Seguin has 2...and hd plays with Benn.

Hall is just a better player.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Taylor Hall has 3 seasons being in the top 10 in scoring

Tyler Seguin has 2...and hd plays with Benn.

Hall is just a better player.

Yeah, better argument would be the fact that Seguin has 5 consecutive 70+ point seasons and Taylor Hall just broke 30 goals for the first time in his career. Let's not pretend Taylor Hall didn't just get off a 53 point season. His 93 points and the Devils miracle run isn't likely to happen again. We will see though I suppose. I could be wrong.

At least we can all sit back and laugh at how Chiarelli traded both of these guys for next to nothing in comparison to their actual values.

Reactions: Voight

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
never liked seguin's style too much. a little too much soulless smirking slickness. not a guy to lead a team - he needs Benn for that.

Imo Hall has always been better at flat out dominating the puck and taking over games.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Yeah, better argument would be the fact that Seguin has 5 consecutive 70+ point seasons and Taylor Hall just broke 30 goals for the first time in his career. Let's not pretend Taylor Hall didn't just get off a 53 point season. His 93 points and the Devils miracle run isn't likely to happen again. We will see though I suppose. I could be wrong.

At least we can all sit back and laugh at how Chiarelli traded both of these guys for next to nothing in comparison to their actual values.
You knows what's more unlikely ...Seguin ever carrying a team like Hall did this past season and winning league MVP. Chiarello is a bum. Its been well noted. Terrible GM.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Tyler. More important position and has shown to be more consistent year to year. Now, Hall played at a level last year Seguin has failed to reach, but lets see how much staying power that has before we move him above Seguin. Seguin has been better for 4 out of the last 5 seasons.

Reactions: Voight and WhatWhat

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You knows what's more unlikely ...Seguin ever carrying a team like Hall did this past season and winning league MVP. Chiarello is a bum. Its been well noted. Terrible GM.

Seguin carried the Stars the entire 2nd half of the season, and if he plays the same way all of this year you can expect some Hart consideration. Lot of people like you don't realize that if Seguin didn't have a supporting group of guys like Benn/Radulov and was on a team like the Devils he'd be getting Hart consideration too. That's kind of what happens when a really good player is on a team with a really weak forward group in terms of top end talent. Also what happens when you heavily rely on one player to generate most of your scoring even if you have decent depth. Seguin is certainly capable of carrying a team, as he proved it in the 2nd half of this past season

Reactions: Voight

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I think this is Tyler Seguin. His point finishes are 4, 7 and his PPG finishes are 2, 5, 6

Hall's point finishes are 6, 6, 9 and his PPG finishes are 5, 7, 7.

Comparing their career totals, Seguin has a 0.86 PPG in 590 games played while Hall has a 0.90 PPG in 529 games. I think Seguin's first season of a .30 ppg in 74 games drops his PPG by quite a bit, Hall never had a season below 0.65. In 82 games that's a 3 point difference.

Where Seguin gains the lead is goals. Their Career average GPG is virtually as close as their career average PPG. Merely a 2 goal difference. However, in their primes so far Seguin has clearly been the superior goal scorer. He has goal finishes of 5, 5, 7, 10 and GPG finishes of 4, 9, 9 while Hall has one 9th goal finish and a 7th gpg finish.

Also worth noting that when you remove Seguin's boston years. His PPG is higher than Hall in Edmonton and equal to his time in New Jersey while playing 239 more games. Not to mention, a higher GPG.

In conclusion, when both players are this close offensively, I'll choose the goal scorer as the better player.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I guess it depends on what you mean right now. If we're simply going by the what have you done for me lately measure, then obviously it's Taylor.
And Taylor has had the best of any season the 2 players have had.

But for career to date, this is certainly Tyler. And I voted accordingly.

But if Hall has pushed his game to another level then it would be him.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Seguin carried the Stars the entire 2nd half of the season, and if he plays the same way all of this year you can expect some Hart consideration. Lot of people like you don't realize that if Seguin didn't have a supporting group of guys like Benn/Radulov and was on a team like the Devils he'd be getting Hart consideration too. That's kind of what happens when a really good player is on a team with a really weak forward group in terms of top end talent. Also what happens when you heavily rely on one player to generate most of your scoring even if you have decent depth. Seguin is certainly capable of carrying a team, as he proved it in the 2nd half of this past season

I realize and know my hockey. It doesn't look like you watch Hall much. If you did you would know what type of season he had and what type of player he is. Trying to downplay Halls MVP status and trying to prop up Seguin isnt much of a debate. Saying Seguin somehow had lesser players to work with he would be a serious MVP candidate is going against logic. Do you know Hall is the only 1st overall selection in the last 2 decades to drag his team to back to back memorial cups winning the mvp each time before his draft ? This is nothing new for him. He has always been a superior prospect/player. Nothing against Seguin who is a solid superstar himself. This is only a debate because Seguin is a center and hasn't had to rot in an absolute dumpster fire that had been Edmonton for at least 4 years. 2010 to 2014.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A) Nothing like starting an argument with “I know my hockey.” A true shining star in a sea of people who clearly don’t know their hockey. Congrats.

B) Are you really bringing up Memorial Cups in this discussion?

Either choice is a perfectly sensible choice here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Two players who are incredibly close to each other in terms of ability and impact. I prefer Hall to Seguin but you can't go wrong with either imo

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Tyler. More important position and has shown to be more consistent year to year. Now, Hall played at a level last year Seguin has failed to reach, but lets see how much staying power that has before we move him above Seguin. Seguin has been better for 4 out of the last 5 seasons.
Seguin has had a consistent linemate in Benn yet Hall still has put up near similar career numbers. Hall is also the much better even strength scorer

Reactions: McFlash97

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
How things turn so quickly on HFBoards polls. Anyone remember 53 or 65 point Taylor Hall?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
How things turn so quickly on HFBoards polls. Anyone remember 53 or 65 point Taylor Hall?

People like to ignore the fact that Seguin has 5 consecutive 70+ point seasons and pay attention to what they remember most recently. When Hall returns to his normal form theyll go back to voting Seguin. Also if Seguin puts up the same year Hall did theyll all act like it was always Seguin who was better. Some of the people on this site just like voting for what's more popular/recent right now, not who has been the better player over their career so far

Reactions: HOCK3Y
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad