News Article: Taylor Hall - "I'm far from a finished product"

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
http://oilersnation.com/2014/9/16/hall-i-m-far-from-a-finished-product

Great article on Hall heading into the season. Some of the quotes from Hall that stand out to me:

"When I watch games from myself and when I look at last season overall, I feel that there are still things that I can improve on, not only defensively, which is obvious and a lot of people can say that, but still offensively as well.

"Also, not giving the puck away as much is a big part of my game that I need to work on."

"I'm the same weight as last year, but I'm much stronger. I lifted heavier weights this year and that should help me in those battles. I worked a lot on getting better body position."

"I really wasn’t playing well defensively to start the season last year, and it really did hinder my game offensively. I realized that what worked for me last year was playing really good defence."

"The slow start of last year, as much as people want to blame the goalies and stuff, I think I was a big part of that"

I think this interview shows how Hall is growing up and maturing right in front of our eyes. I love it that he's still looking for ways to improve his overall game and even studying his game films to see how he can improve. I also like how he blamed last season's poor start on himself as well as admitting to trying to play better defensively and not turning the puck over as much. I'm very excited to see what Hall can do this year. Hopefully other players like Eberle, RNH, and Yak have the same mindset as Hall heading into this season.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Good read.
There was alot of guys who were pushing the play too much beginning of last year (pressure) in the wrong way and getting the entire team into a flux. Its a downward spiral thing, because the others on the ice might be able to cover on that one occassion but then think they have the green light to go away from the system when they can.

Its something that led to the marker throwing tantrums of eakins at practice and also the power struggle that developed between eakins and smith/buchy where there was some major miscommunication to the players which i dont feel was accidental.
With the coaching staff cleaned out, i feel this year lthere will be a distinct difference in the attention to systems play.

Oct 30, 2011
I'm glad that he's done some serious reflection and is committed to improving his overall game. I really like how he mentioned specific habits and correcting them, as well as improving something as small as breakaway/shootouts because he gets a lot of opportunities with his speed.

I don't think he's nearly as reckless as he was the seasons before last. He's improved on his game every year, which culminated in his first 80 point season. I think it's a testament to his natural aptitude for hockey.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
It always kind of bugged me when people would insinuate that Hall wasn't a smart player and just relied on his physical gifts. That kid has always had a really good head on his shoulders and really understands the game and what he needs to do to be successful.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
If there is one good reason to pay the price to see an oilers game it is Taylor hall.

If there is one good reason not to see the oilers play it is, ****in lmao, there are 100.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Our boy's grown' up ma!

I was impressed with the quotes. He's really quite articulate for a 22 year old... (and a hockey player ;)

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Everything he's saying sounds more mature. I've never questioned his ability as a hockey player, but his perceived character has always been off-putting to me. Hoping this type of discourse becomes the norm for this player.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If he had any finish, he'd be a generational talent. The number of blown breakaway opportunities he's had is astounding. If he fixed that facet of his game, he's a 100 point player easily.

That's not exactly an easy fix.

Though it's nice to see him address his defensive follies. The better he plays defensively, the better the team does.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He's saying all the right things. Just like every other player at this time of year.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
It always kind of bugged me when people would insinuate that Hall wasn't a smart player and just relied on his physical gifts. That kid has always had a really good head on his shoulders and really understands the game and what he needs to do to be successful.

I cant remember ever reading a comment saying hall wasnt a high iq and invested player.

I always wonder how much of the issues we saw at thestart of last season had to do with the pressure of showing his best to team canada brass. I was thankful that he was left off the team because i think he is the type to keep that chip on his shoulder and focus. I think in 2018, if the nhl goes -which isnt the best option for the nhl- than team canada will be plain ol STACKED and he will be there.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The slow start of last year, as much as people want to blame the goalies and stuff, I think I was a big part of that," he explained.

Even he knows the goaltending was beyond crap to start the year last year

We NEED a great performance from our goalie to start the year...give the team some confidence

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yes.. except in Hall's case, I feel he's one who can actually back up his talk.

Sure, maybe, why not. Everything is fantastic during the preseason. Everyone has worked their hardest. Everyone is coming to camp a new player.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Sure, maybe, why not. Everything is fantastic during the preseason. Everyone has worked their hardest. Everyone is coming to camp a new player.

22 out of 23 times I agree. However, Hall has improved every season and backed up pretty much everything he's said in the past.

Most of what he said he needs to work on are conscious decisions (e.g. positioning, back pressure, etc.) as opposed to skill improvement.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
22 out of 23 times I agree. However, Hall has improved every season and backed up pretty much everything he's said in the past.

Most of what he said he needs to work on are conscious decisions (e.g. positioning, back pressure, etc.) as opposed to skill improvement.

Yes he has. Phenomenal hockey player. I just don't put any stock into these things any more. They are meaningless in their abundance. Professional athletes should be doing this by default, not as something noteworthy. If you're not doing these things then you are not doing your job.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
"I think he knows what I expect of him, and more importantly, what he expects of me and I think that’s good for a player like myself and for everyone that is returning. They probably feel a lot more comfortable this year than last," said Hall.

Those two definitely did some major head-butting last year... Feel more confident in our coaching adjustments after reading this. Fresh communicators that do not make one immediately defensive.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The thing that really gets me about Hall is that he makes all the adjustments, the biggest knock on him was that he didn't have great balance and played with his head down alot. So, he worked a ton on his balance and now always has his head up. Love watching some one progress like that.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I cant remember ever reading a comment saying hall wasnt a high iq and invested player.

I always wonder how much of the issues we saw at thestart of last season had to do with the pressure of showing his best to team canada brass. I was thankful that he was left off the team because i think he is the type to keep that chip on his shoulder and focus. I think in 2018, if the nhl goes -which isnt the best option for the nhl- than team canada will be plain ol STACKED and he will be there.

You haven't been on the main boards for the last 4 years.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Yes he has. Phenomenal hockey player. I just don't put any stock into these things any more. They are meaningless in their abundance. Professional athletes should be doing this by default, not as something noteworthy. If you're not doing these things then you are not doing your job.

To be fair, I just find the specifics of what he said interesting. Most players say "I weigh more." "I'm faster." "I'm gonna be better." Etc.

I've never heard a player say they lost battles because they entered them with poor body position, learn to far forward etc.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Good read.
There was alot of guys who were pushing the play too much beginning of last year (pressure) in the wrong way and getting the entire team into a flux. Its a downward spiral thing, because the others on the ice might be able to cover on that one occassion but then think they have the green light to go away from the system when they can.

Its something that led to the marker throwing tantrums of eakins at practice and also the power struggle that developed between eakins and smith/buchy where there was some major miscommunication to the players which i dont feel was accidental.
With the coaching staff cleaned out, i feel this year lthere will be a distinct difference in the attention to systems play.

I like the angle you take here.

Good post Oilinblood.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Like that he took responsibility for his terrible start last year.

He was terrible defensively to start and because he was still putting up decent numbers he kinda got a free pass from a lot of people. By mid season he was clearly the best Oiler and still improving so his bad start was easy to forget as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad