Taylor Hall - from one losing team to another

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Unfortunately dealing him was what oilers needed to do to turn the corner. Wish it could have been done by keeping him (it could have)

Watching your old team turn the corner must be tough. But atleast devils have a good future ahead

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
He doesn't really seem like a likable guy. Oilers fans have the likes of McJesus to lust after now so I imagine the only fans that really feel for the guy are NJ fans.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Zach Bogosian has been in the league since 2008 and still hasn't played a postseason game.

I'm not sure who is the current holder of the record for most GP without playing in the playoffs, but Bogo is probably up there.

2advanced4u

Jun 15, 2016
Hall for Larsson was so bad for the Oilers lol

inb4 the oilers are winning now arguments

2advanced4u

Jun 15, 2016
Zach Bogosian has been in the league since 2008 and still hasn't played a postseason game.

I'm not sure who is the current holder of the record for most GP without playing in the playoffs, but Bogo is probably up there.

Ron Hainsey has played like 800 GP without a post season game.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
He doesn't really seem like a likable guy. Oilers fans have the likes of McJesus to lust after now so I imagine the only fans that really feel for the guy are NJ fans.

Devils fans haven't had anything to cheer for in a long time. Now they do. The only thing that doesn't seem just is that the Oilers get the opportunity to draft in the top three year after year.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

It doesn't look good when you trade a dynamic scoring winger for a stay-at-home D man but honestly, as an Oiler fan, I couldn't care less about having more "sexy" scorers if it comes at the cost of constant losing.

You could make the argument that the Oilers could've kept Hall and still be in a playoff position but you will never know the answer to that question. It's all hypothetical. What matters is that the Oilers have been in a playoff spot ALL season with increased scoring and decreased goals against from last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Jokinen went 643 games without a playoff game, and only played 6 playoff games total in a 1231 game regular season career.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I called The Devils' struggles before the season. They were always going to struggle with that defense, and apparently even Schneider hasn't been able to bail them out. I feel for Hall though - if his fate is to play for teams with garbage D cores, it must be frustrating to no end.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Wish NJ would've accepted Eberle for Larsson instead, but that just wasn't going to happen. We really, REALLY need Larsson, and he's helped us finally change our losing ways. He's been our 2nd best Dman after Sekera this season, and is just so solid defensively. Huge fan of his. It was a heavy price, but if it's the price for success, then you do what you have to do. No one was just going to hand us a young, huge, defensively solid and almost giveaway-free Dman like Larsson for nothing. But we needed to be better defensively, and upgrade our D in a big way, and Larsson and (to a smaller degree) Russell have really done that for us.

But Hall has his 2 Memorial Cups. Think he also has a WJC gold, doesn't he? So he's got some accolades, just not too many in the NHL yet, but they can still come; there's plenty of time for him. He's still a young man.

Oh no! A 'we're winning' argument! How terrible and egregious! How dare someone make a valid point of a player helping a team be better and actually start to win. Perish the thought. LOL!!! :laugh: :shakehead

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I never get the trade bringing up the Oilers win status...they would probably be in better condition with him...its just that McDavid didn't get injured this year and is in his 2nd season after learning the game in his first. The Devils were looking good until Hall's first injury.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
#nottriggered

It doesn't look good when you trade a dynamic scoring winger for a stay-at-home D man but honestly, as an Oiler fan, I couldn't care less about having more "sexy" scorers if it comes at the cost of constant losing.

You could make the argument that the Oilers could've kept Hall and still be in a playoff position but you will never know the answer to that question. It's all hypothetical. What matters is that the Oilers have been in a playoff spot ALL season with increased scoring and decreased goals against from last year.

The most important point. Larsson has a good outlet pass and good in mobility, even if not elite, allowing the scoring to be more spread even.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I never get the trade bringing up the Oilers win status...they would probably be in better condition with him...its just that McDavid didn't get injured this year and is in his 2nd season after learning the game in his first. The Devils were looking good until Hall's first injury.

Larsson helps the Oilers attack more in the Ozone, which leads to more opportunities.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

and who was this magic D-man the oilers were going to get for less? Team collectively or independently of each other decided that Hall was going to be the demand no matter what D-man the oilers asked for.

Whether non-oiler fans like it or not

Oilers are a better team today then there were with Hall in the Line up

Trading either Nuge or Eberle was not going to get a guy like Larsson--other teams set the level and the oilers had to decide--do we take the hit or do we wait and then the question is how long do we wait?

Most devil fans I know--while loving getting Hall hated giving up Larsson.

Oilers this year are so far a +8 in goals for and against--last year they finished -42, year before that they were -85 and the year before that -67--- only so much can be given to McDavid.. the combo of Larsson-Klefbom have stabilized the oilers D

we are a better team today then this time last year and yes we are winning and nearly EVERY team we play against says "This aint the same oilers from previous years"--most GDT on other teams board I have read have all said the same thing--this team is different and the cost for that difference was Hall

Oilers on paper made on of the worst deals in memory--but games are won and list on the ice not on paper

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Is this a serious post?

believe it or not the trade isn't the only thing relevant to this year all the Oilers players got experience and got better...its not all Larson unless you seriously think their success is mainly due to him I really don't see it on ice.

Larsson helps the Oilers attack more in the Ozone, which leads to more opportunities.

He only has 6 points and he's actually -1 on a winning team...I fail to see how much he can possibly be helping on either the stat sheet or when watching him myself. They are making old man Sekera look good who honestly was one of the worst D on the Sabres during their tenure in the 2000s.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
believe it or not the trade isn't the only thing relevant to this year all the Oilers players got experience and got better...its not all Larson unless you seriously think their success is mainly due to him I really don't see it on ice.
Actually, the only person in here who has attributed the Oilers' success to one player is you.

He only has 6 points and he's actually -1 on a winning team...I fail to see how much he can possibly be helping on either the stat sheet or when watching him myself.
That's because he's a defensive defenseman and one the Oilers have been lacking for several seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad