Speculation: Taylor Hall trade/contract talk (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
It would be absolutely insane if Sakic wasn't trying to get Hall. He's by far the best player available, he's very likely to be traded somewhere, so you're also keeping him out of your rival's hands, and even without Byram Sakic has the best assets to offer in Timmins and Newhook (assuming guys like Caufield are not available).

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
He can give him permission, but I'm not sure it'll matter. I think the likelihood of Hall extending with anybody before free agency is pretty slim at this point. The guy has been in the league almost a decade and has played for bad teams for almost all of that time. Why commit for essentially the rest of your career to a team when you can wait a few months and have multiple teams to choose from?
That's true but what teams would you consider there who have the ability to pay Hall?

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
I just thought of this
Why is everyone comparing the Mark Stone deal to Taylor hall? Why not compare the max Pacioretty deal? Max returned Suzuki (A rated prospect), Tomas Tatar ( good roster player) and a second round pick.
Keep in mind this was the return for a signed Pacioretty who was also struggling at the time of the trade. Max is also a LW so there’s that.
These proposals of Timmins + a conditional 1st need to stop lol. At the very least we could probably get newhook and a first for Taylor hall

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
but none of this is up to hall, he doesn't have any NTC he has to waive - this is strictly up to ray
Technically yes, but Hall does in fact have the ability to make our return better by saying he'd sign with a team that he's been traded to which would increase the return.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I just thought of this
Why is everyone comparing the Mark Stone deal to Taylor hall? Why not compare the max Pacioretty deal? Max returned Suzuki (A rated prospect), Tomas Tatar ( good roster player) and a second round pick.
Keep in mind this was the return for a signed Pacioretty who was also struggling at the time of the trade. Max is also a LW so there’s that.
These proposals of Timmins + a conditional 1st need to stop lol. At the very least we could probably get newhook and a first for Taylor hall
Tatar was considered a cap dump at the time of the trade.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That's true but what teams would you consider there who have the ability to pay Hall?

Honestly, I don't know, but teams can find ways to create space for elite talent if they really want it. Teams who may not want to spend assets to get him before the trade deadline might kick the tires on him as a free agent. Teams who don't have the cap flexibility to add him in season may have it July 1st. I think it's a safe bet that more teams will be in on him as a free agent than as a rental, and if you're Hall, why not wait to see who lines up for you in the summer?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
is all this smoke about hall to COL real or are people just speculating bc some nonreputable idiots on twitter said it's happening before the end of the road trip

People have been speculating about Hall to Colorado for weeks if not months. He fits from the end that they're a contender who has a lot to offer.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lebrun, Friedman, and Lavoie have all said Colorado are interested and pointed out how it’s a good fit because they can afford to sign him and have good defensive prospects to trade back.

A couple of other guys like McKenzie have also predicted that is where he ended up.

Twitter boobs are just echoing that to try and get ahead of what seems inevitable.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Plus the holiday freeze is in a week and a half so people assume something has to happen by then. That's why the small-timers are putting two and two together to try to be 'first' on the story.

Reactions: Darkauron

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I just thought of this

The only real comparison is Karlsson. Recent Norris winner, coming off surgery, stats were down and pending UFA.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
As much as I'd like to see a Kovy redemption arc it won't happen. Even if he was still a top 6 NHL forward I'd rather that ice time be given to Bratt Boqvist etc. to help them develop

Reactions: glenwo2

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
The Coyotes only become interesting for me if Raanta is included in the deal. The problem is, because of the age / injury history of Raanta, I think his value to the Coyotes is probably greater than the value he contributes to any trade. He certainly wouldn't be the focal point of any trade, and to pull him off the roster of a team trying to get into the playoffs doesn't make much sense. But there is a way I could see him by far having the greatest immediate impact to this team over any other player acquired in a trade for Hall. But he's played more than 30 games exactly once in his career. That's just too much risk all told, so his contributory value is highly nominal. Probably not worth it for the Yotes, but I would understand the appeal from our perspective with regards to potentially have a great immediate impact on the roster.

After that, the trade appeal thins out in a hurry, especially if Soderstrom isn't on the table. Bahl isn't close, so that is not ideal. Capobianco is kind of just more of the same of what we already have, so I don't have a whole lot of love for him as a return piece. I do like the size and what he can do offensively, but on a team that is so troubled on the back end defensively with guys like Severson, Smith on the way up, etc, I don't think he's solving anything.
From a Coyote fan perspective, I think your analysis is spot on.

Reactions: Forge

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
From a Coyote fan perspective, I think your analysis is spot on.
Sorry to bother but I've been reading your boards quite a bit and saw a few people saying they'd be fine with sending OEL or Keller over for Hall? I highly doubt it'd ever happen and I'm guessing it's just your board's pessimists overreacting to underwhelming performance?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Sorry to bother but I've been reading your boards quite a bit and saw a few people saying they'd be fine with sending OEL or Keller over for Hall? I highly doubt it'd ever happen and I'm guessing it's just your board's pessimists overreacting to underwhelming performance?

I think a lot of fans are unhappy with Keller's contract. He's locked up for 8 years at $7.15 aav. I'm not sure that adding Hall as a rental makes a ton of sense if they're going to take Keller off the roster, but I don't think their fans would be upset with moving Keller off the books. Given the cap space the Devils will have moving forward, I would make that trade.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I’m reading this morning that the Hall to Colorado rumors are really picking up steam and that Shero is encouraging teams to make offers. Apparently Sakic would like to get a deal done before the holiday trading freeze goes into affect later this month. There is also incentive for him to act now. Apparently more teams could get involved closer to the trade deadline when Hall’s salary cap number for the year is a bit lower? I saw that somewhere but didn’t understand how that works. Obviously more teams could enter the frey that are cap-crunched at the moment.

Of course it would be a coup to land Byram but I’m not going to get my hopes up there. Soooo...what can you guys tell me about these prospects?

Conner Timmins- I know he was the #32 overall pick in 2017. Is he an offensive defenseman? It seems he’s put up strong offensives numbers in the minors.

Martin Kaut- #-16 overall pick in 2018 and selected one spot ahead of Ty Smith. Word has it the Devils were very interested and enamored by him. A 6’2” RW with skill could surely fill an organizational need.

What is the ceiling and floor for both of these guys? Any chance at all that we could land both in part of a deal or are we looking at one plus a draft pick (hopefully first rounder since it will be a late round selection.). Hopefully Hall wavers and signs an extension so we can maximize the return.

This may be a good time to bring in our beloved resident prospect expect, @ StevenToddIves Maybe someone can ping him.

Thanks, gents!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad