Taylor Hall Comments

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Hall's vague comments about the Oilers maybe-sorta-coulda done more to promote winning are correct.

As an Oilers' fan since the early-80s, the most inexplicable day in franchise history is Kevin Lowe's hiring of Steve Tambellini. On that day, I said to myself: "Why are they hiring a dude who won nothing, who spent his career getting blown out by the Oilers, to run a franchise that has won a lot?" Cue years and years of pain.

By the time Hall was drafted, and for the next few years, there was no sense of direction for the team. For probably the first time in franchise history, the attitude became: "We have good young players who are going to lose a lot, but let's just let them lose and somehow eventually they'll magically become winners." Every excuse was made to protect those young players (Hall first among them), so that it wouldn't be demanded of them that they actually go out and win. Which is wrong.

I think he recognizes this now, because he got a taste of the real-thing for that one season he had with McLellan and Chiarelli. And yeah, he didn't want to be traded away, which is nice.

I do think he needed to be traded, though, and the results in Edmonton speak for themselves.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hall's vague comments about the Oilers maybe-sorta-coulda done more to promote winning are correct.

As an Oilers' fan since the early-80s, the most inexplicable day in franchise history is Kevin Lowe's hiring of Steve Tambellini. On that day, I said to myself: "Why are they hiring a dude who won nothing, who spent his career getting blown out by the Oilers, to run a franchise that has won a lot?" Cue years and years of pain.

By the time Hall was drafted, and for the next few years, there was no sense of direction for the team. For probably the first time in franchise history, the attitude became: "We have good young players who are going to lose a lot, but let's just let them lose and somehow eventually they'll magically become winners." Every excuse was made to protect those young players (Hall first among them), so that it wouldn't be demanded of them that they actually go out and win. Which is wrong.

I think he recognizes this now, because he got a taste of the real-thing for that one season he had with McLellan and Chiarelli. And yeah, he didn't want to be traded away, which is nice.

I do think he needed to be traded, though, and the results in Edmonton speak for themselves.

I don't think the Oilers went into any season after 09-10 intending to lose. Lowe and Tambo after every #1 pick thought that the problems would solve themselves. Then they didn't, and Lowe/Tambo did nothing to try to fix it aside from letting another season go down the toilet to try again. Which, understandably, from Hall's (and everyone else on the teams) perspective is a total drag, seeing management giving up and throwing in the towel (11-12, 12-13).

Can't find it, but there was an interview a little while back where Lowe explained his motivation for the rebuild. He was hung up on how he felt the reason the Oilers kept losing to Dallas back in the late 90's, early 2000's was that Dallas had the high end forwards (Modano/Hull). That was his focus, to get those forwards that would make the team great. In the interview he conceded that he didn't put enough focus on building a D group. It was very telling. Enlightening about how inept the teams management really was.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think the Oilers went into any season after 09-10 intending to lose.
I think they did. Starting around 2009, the whole mantra became "the rebuild". A few years later, after that failed, it was the "2nd rebuild". And then a "development year" (i.e., a year committed to losing).

The whole attitude changed from "win now" (1970s, 1980s, 1990s, early 2000s) to "lose now -- it's okay boys. Maybe win later. Or not."

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
Good. Listen to his Spittin Chiclets appearance. He said he wasn't really happy to be traded and was surprised that he got moved. He can't be happy to see the team he played on for crap years suddenly turn it around and move on without him. Glad he was honest.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
My mistake. Meant to type LW which is what B's needed.

I think Edmonton took BPA for too long. Obviously they hit pay dirt with McDavid but that was a no brainer.

Prior to that Edmonton took undersized forwards with their wealth of riches instead of taking/maneuvering for a stud D or true #1 center.

And as far as BPA, Hall was not then enough of an edge over Seguin to justify giving up on a very gifted natural center -- which was one of their main needs.

Would have been funny if they'd missed out on McDavid. If so they'd still be an average team.

Bottom line is with the seemingly endless top picks/high high picks their obsession with BPA was flawed.

Iirc Boston had Lucic and Marchand as top6 LWs in that time. So going into the season LW wasnt really a need, maybe at the draft. Marchand had broken out that season.

Took Gags in 07, made a great pick with Eberle in 08 and drafted a big MPS in 09 so while two guys would be considered undersized both have had more successful careers than the big guy we took.

In 2010 we we're just starting out rebuild and had Gagner and Horcoff at C so LW was our bigger need. Turned out we needed help in every position so drafting Hall was a good pick.

Also, if Seguin couldn't grow up on a Stanley cup winning team filled with established vets like Chara, Recchi and Lucic what makes you think he would've survived Edmonton? Which was a joke at the time.

Edmonton absolutely made the right call at the draft and looking at what both players returned we made the right call overall.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Did you even read this thread?

No one really cares about what he's saying that much. It's just surprising he continually gives the media what they want to hear.
If you guys weren't bitter you wouldn't be complaining about him not giving scripted answers. Just seems like the guy doesn't give a **** about what anyone thinks and just says what is on his mind. Its not like he talks about the Oilers every chance he he gets, he was asked a question and he answered it honestly. Its like you guys are desperate for his approval so you keep blowing up at him every time this is a story.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If you guys weren't bitter you wouldn't be complaining about him not giving scripted answers. Just seems like the guy doesn't give a **** about what anyone thinks and just says what is on his mind. Its not like he talks about the Oilers every chance he he gets, he was asked a question and he answered it honestly. Its like you guys are desperate for his approval so you keep blowing up at him every time this is a story.

Out of the 100+ posts, I see a very small percentage saying anything short of "eh, I get it, makes sense."

And I'm not going to go back and re-read to find one, but I'm not sure I remember seeing more than one post that could even be considered "blowing up."

Most "blow up" posts are coming from people screaming at no one in particular "OF COURSE HE FEELS THIS WAY! WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!"

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
He put up with by far the worst management team in hockey for his entire career there.
He's rightly bitter that he wasn't given anything too work with. And they Lucked out with Mcdavid and now he's a Devil

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Wtf do Oilers fans expect him to say?

If any of you were in his position you'd be PO'ed too.

Seems like the Oilers fans are bitter if anything

I'm no Oilers fan, but that was one of the last things i expect him to say.

I am 100 percent sure if the Canucks make it to the playoffs lose in round 1 or 2, also burrrows Hansen or hamhius will not say that. Maybe Kesler will . But yea. But hey, he has a chance to play with another 1st overall,pick soon.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Out of the 100+ posts, I see a very small percentage saying anything short of "eh, I get it, makes sense."

And I'm not going to go back and re-read to find one, but I'm not sure I remember seeing more than one post that could even be considered "blowing up."

Most "blow up" posts are coming from people screaming at no one in particular "OF COURSE HE FEELS THIS WAY! WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!"

You are right, "blowing up" was a poor choice of words on my part. I don't see any reason why Hall cannot openly discuss the trade or how he feels about it and his former team. Seems like the Oilers fans that are accusing him of bitterness are actually the bitter ones. If you aren't bitter then why are so annoyed every time he gives an honest answer.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I think they did. Starting around 2009, the whole mantra became "the rebuild". A few years later, after that failed, it was the "2nd rebuild". And then a "development year" (i.e., a year committed to losing).

The whole attitude changed from "win now" (1970s, 1980s, 1990s, early 2000s) to "lose now -- it's okay boys. Maybe win later. Or not."

I think they "wanted" to lose for a good draft pick from for the 2010-2012 drafts. But by 2013 they thought they had the pieces and it all fell apart because our veteran support was hot garbage.

2012-13 - Wanted to be a playoff team
2013-14 - WTF why aren't we a play off team with three 1st overalls
2014-15 - Surely this is the year
2015-16 - We have McDavid and Hall we're unbeatable
2016-17 - Oh that's how you build a team

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Probably because people keep asking him questions.
And he keeps answering them. Vicious cycle, huh? Although the media asks the question because it gets hits to their website and bring them in ad revenue, and Hall answers them because of jilted ex-lover syndrome. Who do you think if going to quit first?

You are right, "blowing up" was a poor choice of words on my part. I don't see any reason why Hall cannot openly discuss the trade or how he feels about it and his former team. Seems like the Oilers fans that are accusing him of bitterness are actually the bitter ones. If you aren't bitter then why are so annoyed every time he gives an honest answer.
The only thing I'm bitter about is the fact that the trade stole some of my spare time this spring, due to adding Larsson solidifying the defence and helping us make the playoffs.

Here I was all ready to enjoy the nice spring weather and loosely pay attention to my players in the IIHF tourney, but no, I was stuck inside watching my team play 2 rounds of NHL playoff hockey. I’m still bitter that I’m behind on my tan, my golf game and my mountain biking. Bitter I tell ya!

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Don't blame him for being pissed with Edmonton and there's no shame in him being honest.

No shame in being honest and I didnt mind it the first time, cause hes right...BUT hes said something to this effect 3-4 times this season. Each time making headlines in Edmonton and accross the hockey world.

We get it. He got the short-end of the stick. You've made your feelings on it VERY clear. Now its time too let it go. No need to keep giving thee juicy quotes for the 100th time.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think they "wanted" to lose for a good draft pick from for the 2010-2012 drafts. But by 2013 they thought they had the pieces and it all fell apart because our veteran support was hot garbage.

2012-13 - Wanted to be a playoff team
2013-14 - WTF why aren't we a play off team with three 1st overalls
2014-15 - Surely this is the year
2015-16 - We have McDavid and Hall we're unbeatable
2016-17 - Oh that's how you build a team

These descriptions are kinda perfect.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
He was the first piece of our rebuild, persevered like 6 seasons of bs, then was traded when we finally got good. He has every right to be upset.
This is like the 5th time he says similar comments, not thread worthy anymore imo.

Agree!!

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Fair enough, but my point was more to the fact that I see the overwhelming majority pretty much saying, "so what, hes being honest."

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
I'm no Oilers fan, but that was one of the last things i expect him to say.

I am 100 percent sure if the Canucks make it to the playoffs lose in round 1 or 2, also burrrows Hansen or hamhius will not say that. Maybe Kesler will . But yea. But hey, he has a chance to play with another 1st overall,pick soon.

Ok, imagine being traded from a team you gave (and I'm assuming here) all of your blood, sweat, and tears to for years and then they trade you. Being traded is basically them saying "we can be better without you."

Who in God's name wouldn't want the team that traded them to fail? If they succeed it's evidence that yeah, you were a problem. If they fail it's validation that hey, maybe others will see i wasn't the problem.

Also, if Hall said he wanted to see the Oilers do well we'd just have morons posting stuff like "see, he wasn't competitive enough, can't win with guys like that."

And I'm sure he wants his friends to do well. But the bad feelings about the organization will always outweigh that. Always.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I like his humanity. Shows he really loved being an Oiler and and put everything he had into the team and the city. The trade made us a better team, but I'll always appreciate Hall busting his ass every night during the worst period in franchise (league) history.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
And do people really think we're still thinking about Hall in Edmonton? He pretty much only comes up when he doesn't take the high road and gives a "let me tell you how over the Oilers I am" answer that passive aggressively takes a shot at his old team.

And then we have to listen to other fan bases talk about how we "demonize" him. The average fan couldn't be more apathetic about him. If he'd shut up, we'd never talk about him.

Quoted for truth. The only people talking about Hall are the Toronto media and the non Oiler fans on this board.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
I'm not fan of Taylor Hall's but I understand how he feels. He's being candid and honest, but sometimes you really just need to take the high road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad