Taylor Beck still not signed - update: signed 1 year @ 550K

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Well with all the Ryan Ellis drama, I haven't heard anything about Beck. He's played pretty well for us and I'm a little surprised about him not being sign. Does anyone know any details on his situation or is he going to be in the same vote that Daniel Bang was in a year ago?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well, he showed up for camp, so thats a good sign. I wasn't even sure if he would be allowed to play in camp without a contract but I guess its the same as a try out. Im guessing Beck wants a one way deal, and Poile has told him to try to earn it in camp. if Poile is impressed, I suspect Beck gets a one way deal, and if not, he probably gets waived/traded.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Probably the reason there's so much less concern about Beck than Ellis is because Beck is in camp while Ellis is at home. Granted, that means Beck didn't like his qualifying offer and is basically trying out for other teams, but the club is so flush with forward prospects now that he has less value to the team internally than he did even two seasons ago.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
there's no way in hell Poile gives Taylor Beck a one-way contract. That would be a total misuse of company money. The guy is a swing guy ... kinda like that "Quadruple A" baseball guy. Does well in the A, but has periods of disappearance in the NHL. A useful spare part, but not a guy who at this point, based on his body of work, merits more than a two way deal.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Yeah I didn't know a player could participate in camp as a RFA

I was looking through the CBA to try to find something definitive, but I didn't see anything and I don't feel like continuing to poring over a legal document on a Sunday :laugh:

Let's just speculate since it's easier. Ellis looks at the roster and thinks that the Preds definitely need him to sign, otherwise they are having to find a vet to fill the open RHD role or they will have to hope someone in the pipe line can fill the role. Sitting out of training camp gives him leverage if he's right about the Preds needing him.

Beck, on the other hand, looks at the roster and realizes there aren't that many spots open. He can come in, compete for a spot and maybe even catch the eye of other teams who might be able to use him now. I would bet he is looking for a one way deal. He likely will not get that in Nashville this season, short of having an incredible camp, but he could get it elsewhere. In the meantime, he proves that he is a team-first kind of guy.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
there's no way in hell Poile gives Taylor Beck a one-way contract. That would be a total misuse of company money. The guy is a swing guy ... kinda like that "Quadruple A" baseball guy. Does well in the A, but has periods of disappearance in the NHL. A useful spare part, but not a guy who at this point, based on his body of work, merits more than a two way deal.

Remember this guy was projected to be a can't miss guy. If he ends up somewhere else he will light the lamp!
Does anyone know how Aberg is doing at camp?

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
I was looking through the CBA to try to find something definitive, but I didn't see anything and I don't feel like continuing to poring over a legal document on a Sunday :laugh:

Let's just speculate since it's easier. Ellis looks at the roster and thinks that the Preds definitely need him to sign, otherwise they are having to find a vet to fill the open RHD role or they will have to hope someone in the pipe line can fill the role. Sitting out of training camp gives him leverage if he's right about the Preds needing him.

Beck, on the other hand, looks at the roster and realizes there aren't that many spots open. He can come in, compete for a spot and maybe even catch the eye of other teams who might be able to use him now. I would bet he is looking for a one way deal. He likely will not get that in Nashville this season, short of having an incredible camp, but he could get it elsewhere. In the meantime, he proves that he is a team-first kind of guy.

As long as there is a Stalberg on the Preds there will always be room for Beck. Stalberg should be on a frozen lake where he can skate like the wind for miles and do nothing! Just like his games.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Remember this guy was projected to be a can't miss guy. If he ends up somewhere else he will light the lamp!
Does anyone know how Aberg is doing at camp?

who exactly projected him as "cant miss'?

He was a thrid round pick, played reasonably well during the disaster of a season after the lockout but we were playing nothing but AHL guys by the end of the season anyway. Then apparently took a step backward last year in the AHL.. I'd say that makes him a fringe NHL player at best.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
who exactly projected him as "cant miss'?

He was a thrid round pick, played reasonably well during the disaster of a season after the lockout but we were playing nothing but AHL guys by the end of the season anyway. Then apparently took a step backward last year in the AHL.. I'd say that makes him a fringe NHL player at best.

Hockey Futures for one predicted him as a can't miss. Dobber was also very high on him. The guy needs a change. He's not wise going to camp without a contract. If anyone would know what a fringe NHL player is it would be a Pred fan.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Hockey Futures for one predicted him as a can't miss. Dobber was also very high on him. The guy needs a change. He's not wise going to camp without a contract. If anyone would know what a fringe NHL player is it would be a Pred fan.

So he's supposed to sit at home and not learn a new system that he may potentially play in this year and hold out and start the season behind the 8-ball compared to his teammates? If anyone's not wise this camp it is Ryan Ellis for doing this exact thing.

Showing up to camp shows two things. 1) he wants to be here and wants to learn the new system. 2) He's showing his skills off to other teams should another team want to sign him to an offersheet or the Preds want to trade his rights. Him coming to camp was the smartest thing for him to do.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If a contract were required to go to training camp there would be no players trying out for a team. There have been players going to camp without contracts for as long as I can recall and im an old fart.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
So he's supposed to sit at home and not learn a new system that he may potentially play in this year and hold out and start the season behind the 8-ball compared to his teammates? If anyone's not wise this camp it is Ryan Ellis for doing this exact thing.

Showing up to camp shows two things. 1) he wants to be here and wants to learn the new system. 2) He's showing his skills off to other teams should another team want to sign him to an offersheet or the Preds want to trade his rights. Him coming to camp was the smartest thing for him to do.

You tell him that if he blows a knee out. Other teams know all about him since his junior days.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
You tell him that if he blows a knee out. Other teams know all about him since his junior days.

So what is the difference here in him being at camp vs all the players who come on ATO's and PTO's?

Basically what it comes down to is he's here showing the team he's committed to them and wants to learn the new system.

As far as him getting injured, anyone can blow a knee out, or hurt anything else for that matter. He could just as easily get injured while not at camp. Happens everyday to ordinary people. Does being at camp increase that risk? maybe. But training on your own does too, just ask Mike Fisher about that.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
So what is the difference here in him being at camp vs all the players who come on ATO's and PTO's?

Basically what it comes down to is he's here showing the team he's committed to them and wants to learn the new system.

As far as him getting injured, anyone can blow a knee out, or hurt anything else for that matter. He could just as easily get injured while not at camp. Happens everyday to ordinary people. Does being at camp increase that risk? maybe. But training on your own does too, just ask Mike Fisher about that.

"He could just as easily get injured while not at camp". Really??? Oh this is just in "Jordan Staal Breaks his leg tonight in a game. Now if he didn't have a contract he wouldn't even have medical. Sorry no contract. No money coming in for how long?

If a guy gets injured without a contract, he's not only risking making less money (because he probably won't be signed until he's recovered and proven he's ready to play) but he risks not being picked up at all or having an injury that prevents him from having a productive career. Not to mention having to pay out-of-pocket medical bills.

Last edited:

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I can't help laughing at the guys saying he needs a change. Have you lived under a rock in the offseason? Everything changed on-ice. No excuses for anyone. Papa Trotz isn't around to hold guys back, or stifle creativity or any other garbage that is blamed on him.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
"He could just as easily get injured while not at camp". Really??? Oh this is just in "Jordan Staal Breaks his leg tonight in a game. Now if he didn't have a contract he wouldn't even have medical. Sorry no contract. No money coming in for how long?

If a guy gets injured without a contract, he's not only risking making less money (because he probably won't be signed until he's recovered and proven he's ready to play) but he risks not being picked up at all or having an injury that prevents him from having a productive career. Not to mention having to pay out-of-pocket medical bills.

Do you know that every single year there are many players that go to camps without a contract? They know they might not necessarily get signed by that team (more than likely they will get cut), but they are showing themselves for other teams.

Injuries can happen to anyone at any time. A guy could slip in the shower and tear a knee while on a summer vacation, so should he not go on vacation or take a shower? Most players that go to camp on try-outs don't get injured, but that is a risk that every single player takes, whether he has a contract or not. And if a player does get injured, I'm pretty sure they will be taken care of, they won't be completely left out to dry.

If a player (especially a fringe guy or UFA) doesn't have a contract how is he going to get one sitting at home in a bubble?

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
If they go to training camp, I'm pretty sure they would be covered under insurance for injuries. Maybe not for salary but at least for medical costs. Can someone confirm this?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

not sure if thats a dig at Preds players or not but you unwittingly made my point even if you were trying to be snarky... yes, we preds fans would probably know more about Beck than whoever from HF that gives us all of three seconds of thought before writing whatever it is they heard about us from somewhere else...

Beck is a 'tweener, and its make or break time for him. The fact that he couldnt crack the NHL lineup with our unimpressive forward corps last season speaks volumes about where he is at this point.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
If a contract were required to go to training camp there would be no players trying out for a team. There have been players going to camp without contracts for as long as I can recall and im an old fart.

We're talking about restricted free agents without an SPC, not try out agreements. It is unusual for RFAs to attend camp without an SPC.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

First of all, Beck was a third round pick because of serious questions about his skating, I would hardly consider that a "can't-miss" prospect. That's before we ever get to the fact that there is no such thing as a "can't-miss" prospect.

Secondly, Hockey's Future has very little credibility as a means of evaluating talent for the Predators (there has been a ton of turnover in their coverage, and the regular writers for other teams have often done Nashville's prospect rankings because of it). They rated Roman Josi as a 6.5 B the last time he was on their rankings and Pekka Rinne as a 6.5 C before the 2008-09 season (see the prospects section of this post, and also note that Jeff Zatkoff, who made his NHL debut last season with Pittsburgh, was rated as a 7.0 B). A 6.5 would be a 4th or 5th defenseman or backup goaltender, while "B" and "C" mean "likely to reach potential" and "may reach potential," respectively. Josi finished fifth in the league in time on ice per game last season, and Rinne has been nominated for the Vezina Trophy twice. Point being, HF's evaluation of Beck should be taken with a grain of salt.

Thirdly, thanks for insulting our team! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
not sure if thats a dig at Preds players or not but you unwittingly made my point even if you were trying to be snarky... yes, we preds fans would probably know more about Beck than whoever from HF that gives us all of three seconds of thought before writing whatever it is they heard about us from somewhere else...

Beck is a 'tweener, and its make or break time for him. The fact that he couldnt crack the NHL lineup with our unimpressive forward corps last season speaks volumes about where he is at this point.

I disagree in part with the last bit. It was extremely difficult to crack a Trotz roster at forward, and last year he ONLY played the vets. With that caveat, I agree though. He is a tweener that hasn't found a place yet.

Last edited:

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
:naughty?
We're talking about restricted free agents without an SPC, not try out agreements. It is unusual for RFAs to attend camp without an SPC.

Thank you sir. Once again if Beck gets hurt without a contract he pays out of pocket for his medical.
Ooooops here we go again Pred fans. Derek Stepan fractured his fibula today during a on ice workout.
What part of this don't you understand. I do thank you fans for the good natured banter.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
There's banter, and then there's insulting.

If you found what I said about fringe players insulting that's unfortunate but it's true. Year after year the Preds have been near the bottom of the cap floor. Never wanting to spend the money. Sure they opened the vault for Weber but that's about it. So when you go cheap you will ice a team of fringe players. You may have liked a lot of the players but they have been mostly fringe players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad