Tavares vs Stamkos

Stamkos or Tavares

• Total voters

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Stamkos is a better natural goal scorer but given the choice I would take Tavares overall.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Stamkos has had a better career thus far.

Tavares has been pretty disappointing given the hype he received.

Treent1

Jun 5, 2017
Stamkos has played his whole career with Art winners. Tavares with 3-4 liners. Tavares

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They are extremely close but I personally think Tavares is better overall when he's on his game. Stamkos has been much more fortunate with who he's been able to play with. The only player I can think of who's had two (potential) Art Ross winners as regular linemates.

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
Stamkos is underrated imo. He's been >PPG for 7 out of 10 seasons he's been in the NHL (including this one).

Tavares has been >PPG only twice in his career out of 9 seasons.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Stamkos is underrated imo. He's been >PPG for 7 out of 10 seasons he's been in the NHL (including this one).

Tavares has been >PPG only twice in his career out of 9 seasons.

I guess that's the diffrence between playing with MSL and Kucherov vs PAP and Moulson...

Reactions: dim jim

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ah - the ol' if I use a condescending term I can ignore the fact it plays a large factor strategy
It's been the same excuse his entire career. Now you have a 19 year old with those same junk linemates out performing him.

Good players produce no matter what. When Stamkos scored 60, MSL assisted on like 12 of those goals and played off of his line most of the season. Stamkos benefited from good linemates, sure - he also has outproduced Tavares consistently throughout his career. And considering how trash Tavares is defensively, it's not like the "complete game" argument actually holds any water here.

I know you're crossing your fingers and toesies that Tavares and Drouin (lol) will make beautiful music together next season, but Tavares is what he is - a great but flawed player who never achieved nearly as much as his hype would suggest.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Ah - the ol' linemate bugaboo.

I usually don't like to get into these kind of threads. But honestly... MSL, Kucherov vs. Pap Moulson?

I mean comparing a former MVP and future hall of famer and a current Art Ross leader vs. two player who have never sustained NHL success outside of playing with John Tavares. That's just a bit more than a "bugaboo."

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It's been the same excuse his entire career. Now you have a 19 year old with those same junk linemates out performing him.

Good players produce no matter what. When Stamkos scored 60, MSL assisted on like 12 of those goals and played off of his line most of the season. Stamkos benefited from good linemates, sure - he also has outproduced Tavares consistently throughout his career. And considering how trash Tavares is defensively, it's not like the "complete game" argument actually holds any water here.

I know you're crossing your fingers and toesies that Tavares and Drouin (lol) will make beautiful music together next season, but Tavares is what he is - a great but flawed player who never achieved nearly as much as his hype would suggest.

The hype was overstated. But not at fault to him. He works for everything he has done. He simply does not have high natural skill level (great skating) of many other star players. Moreover, Tavares not having greater success is far more a condemnation on the Islanders organization than him.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The hype was overstated. But not at fault to him. He works for everything he has done. He simply does not have high natural skill level (great skating) of many other star players. Moreover, Tavares not having greater success is far more a condemnation on the Islanders organization than him.
I agree the hype isn't his fault - and I am not denegrating the player. Tavares is a stud.

There's a few players on these boards where the hype gets a little out of hand, so they get criticized in relation to their expectations rather than their performance. Karlsson is one - guy is the best Dman in the league but if you don't say he's better than Lidstrom you get shouted down by his supporters. That leads to Karlsson getting criticized despite the fact that he's by all accounts a great guy and a ton of fun to watch. I don't think Tavares is quite at that level of reactionary criticism, but he *did* get pretty overrated, and with Barzal coming in and producing how he is as a rookie, I think some of the shine is bound to come off of him.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

yes, in this comparison of a TB player vs a NYI player it is I, the Montreal fan, that is the bias one...

Maybe we should go back a couple years when it looked like he might walk and see all the TB fan posts about how Stamkos was like your 5th most important player at best.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
yes, in this comparison of a TB player vs a NYI player it is I, the Montreal fan, that is the bias one...

Maybe we should go back a couple years when it looked like he might walk and see all the TB fan posts about how Stamkos was like your 5th most important player at best.
Tampa fans were against paying him 10 million plus (as was reported), and he was coming off a couple of down years. Saying he was behind Kucherov and Hedman, plus a recently Vezina nominated Bishop was not a silly position to take. In fact, he's still behind Kucherov and Hedman, so in the intervening years he is still #3 on our team.

At the end of the day, Tavares and Stamkos have played about the same number of games in the NHL. Stamkos has almost 60 points on him - almost a full season's worth of good production. This poll shouldn't be close.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Tampa fans were against paying him 10 million plus (as was reported), and he was coming off a couple of down years. Saying he was behind Kucherov and Hedman, plus a recently Vezina nominated Bishop was not a silly position to take. In fact, he's still behind Kucherov and Hedman, so in the intervening years he is still #3 on our team.

At the end of the day, Tavares and Stamkos have played about the same number of games in the NHL. Stamkos has almost 60 points on him - almost a full season's worth of good production. This poll shouldn't be close.

So would you think it is fair to take someone is who the 3rd or 4th most important player on their team and compare them to someone who has been their entire team for their entire career without taking anything but raw production into account?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Tavares is up there with OEL as consistently overrated on this site.

He has come the closest I've seen in recent memory to single handedly winning a playoff series for his team. In 2016 against Florida he was downright dominant every game. I've never seen Stamkos come close to that level of play in my life.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'd like to see Tavares play with a Kucherov once in his career. Tavares does nearly as much, with much less. Tavares for me.

JT Miller, who isn't a good player, is now a point per game player on the Lightning. They're beyond stacked. Tavares doesn't have that benefit.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Flipping the two players on their respective teams. You can't honestly see that difference easily diminishing. Sure maybe at the end of the day breaking even still favors Stamkos. But that should also be enough to indicate that the difference between both players' production does not egregiously favor Stamkos.

Either way, at the end of the day it is a matter of opinion and preference. And nothing can be taken away from Stamkos. He has done very well for himself and his team and is a proven top player and has had the better career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad