Tavares vs Seguin

Tavares vs Seguin

• Total voters

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Clearly you haven't seen Seguin play recently. Not worth an argument and not worth my time. He is a completely different player since that playoff series 4 years ago, and right now is the type of 2-way center teams need to win a Cup. How many Cups has Tavares led the Islanders to win? :sarcasm:

Led? The same amount as Seguin.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Clearly you haven't seen Seguin play recently. Not worth an argument and not worth my time. He is a completely different player since that playoff series 4 years ago, and right now is the type of 2-way center teams need to win a Cup. How many Cups has Tavares led the Islanders to win? :sarcasm:

The year they won the cup Seguin was a healthy scratch for 12 of the 25 games
the year they went to the final and lost seguin had 1g/8pts in 22 games.

"Led" lol.

JT: 11g/11a/22pts in 24 playoff games
TS: 7g/14a/21pts in 49 playoff games

Seguin is notoriously invisible in the playoffs. to say he led his team to the cup is an absolute laugh

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Yea, I'm very sure I've heard Seguin say in an interview that while he of course loved winning the cup his first year in the league, he didnt feel like he personally earned it because he wasnt a driver for that team, or something to that end.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Seguin pretty easily for me. Obviously :)

I can't see Seguin hitting free agency though. He has already won a Cup and likely will just take his chances here and sign a massive contract. (No state income tax helps a lot). You don't let the guy with the 2nd most goals in the league in the past 3-4 years slip away for nothing.

Why are people always comparing players to Benn and Seguin? I feel like I always see them mentioned on the polls

Good advice for the blues and the guy who has the 2nd most goals over both the last 3 years and 4 years in Tarasenko

Last 3 years Seguin is 9th
Last 4 years Seguin is 6th

better to look up stats then make em up

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Yea, I'm very sure I've heard Seguin say in an interview that while he of course loved winning the cup his first year in the league, he didnt feel like he personally earned it because he wasnt a driver for that team, or something to that end.

Didnt he only play like 1 game in the final? to be fair to him he was super young and immature.
a few years later when he only managed a single goal in 22 games when they went to the final put him in pacioretty territory of playoff ghostness

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Didnt he only play like 1 game in the final? to be fair to him he was super young and immature.
a few years later when he only managed a single goal in 22 games when they went to the final put him in pacioretty territory of playoff ghostness
Whatever the circumstances, i remember him being very self aware. Could have been from this Players Tribune

"I remember being in the locker room afterwards and just watching the older guys react—all these tough, grown men crying tears of joy after achieving a lifelong goal. It was something I’ll never forget, but at the same time, I knew that I couldn’t fully relate to what they were feeling. Reaching that pinnacle of hockey success in my first year was a tremendous blessing, but I almost wished it had happened later, when I could fully appreciate it."

I guess my point is, he is driven to win one while being a key cog

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
It will be interesting to see how both perform next year, I think Seguin can continue to develop defensively and become Bergeron/Kopitar like and it will be interesting to see JT finally surrounded by upper tier NHL level talent

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Good advice for the blues and the guy who has the 2nd most goals over both the last 3 years and 4 years in Tarasenko

Last 3 years Seguin is 9th
Last 4 years Seguin is 6th

better to look up stats then make em up

The year they won the cup Seguin was a healthy scratch for 12 of the 25 games
the year they went to the final and lost seguin had 1g/8pts in 22 games.

"Led" lol.

JT: 11g/11a/22pts in 24 playoff games
TS: 7g/14a/21pts in 49 playoff games

Seguin is notoriously invisible in the playoffs. to say he led his team to the cup is an absolute laugh

Should really look at what the person said that I was responding to before attacking me based on what I said. Not worth my time until you do since you will realize there is nothing to argue over and that's not what I was saying at all.

Smh responding to a comment that is several months old and not even reading the entire conversation

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Seguin is a better scorer, but JT is all around a better player.

this would probably have been a blow out a month ago...but what has changed? hmmmmm lol

https://www.tsn.ca/a-new-no-1-mcdavid-edges-crosby-in-tsn-s-top-50-player-poll-1.867210

TSN has JT at 13 and Seguin at 20. Seguin has never been above JT and hasnt ever cracked top 10 (which Tavares did three years in a row from 2014-2016)

this is JT. not easily but the vote shouldnt be this close
what are you talking about? the poll is from March

Reactions: MyBudJT

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Very good poll. Very close, tough decision, but I voted Tavares. I just think he's done alot without much help thus-far in his career.

Obviously things change going forward, but the Leafs don't really matter in this poll.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He won a cup as a passenger.

And Dallas aint winning a cup with Seguin. He's not a guy that can lead you to a cup.

As opposed to how Tavares has lead his team to a lot of team success?

I mean, you might be right about Seguin. But he's not exactly being compared to someone who has proven that he can lead his team to a Cup ... or even past the 2nd round.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
As opposed to how Tavares has lead his team to a lot of team success?

I mean, you might be right about Seguin. But he's not exactly being compared to someone who has proven that he can lead his team to a Cup ... or even past the 2nd round.
You could've said the same thing about Ovi before this year...it's a team sport...Sid and Malkin spent a long time not reaching the finals before going back to back.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He won a cup as a passenger.

And Dallas aint winning a cup with Seguin. He's not a guy that can lead you to a cup.

They said the same thing about Ovi, Kessel, Carter, Richards, etc. Yeah some of those players weren’t the top guy on their team at all times, but maybe that is the point. Teams don’t win Cups with only 1 star and bad depth. It takes multiple stars or amazing depth.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Should really look at what the person said that I was responding to before attacking me based on what I said. Not worth my time until you do since you will realize there is nothing to argue over and that's not what I was saying at all.

Smh responding to a comment that is several months old and not even reading the entire conversation

You really want me to go back and show the stats to show that seguin was never the 2nd leading scorer over the last 3-4 years? seriously [mod]

also talking about seguin leading his team to a cup is hot garbage. he was a healthy scratch half the time and a 4th liner when he got in. He is awful in the playoffs and to try to paint him to be more of a leader based on playoff production compared to tavares is laughable

Last edited by a moderator:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
what are you talking about? the poll is from March

yes

that poll had Tavares as the 4th C. Seguin didnt crack top 10. If you made the poll right now Tavares would struggle to crack the top 10. its the same cast of characters that vote against the leafs time and time again. (EX: up untl late in the season, Kevin Fiala was beating Marner in a poll)

Now that JT is a leaf its 51%-40 for JT.
JT vs Tavares 1 month ago would have been 80% Tavares

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Whatever the circumstances, i remember him being very self aware. Could have been from this Players Tribune

"I remember being in the locker room afterwards and just watching the older guys react—all these tough, grown men crying tears of joy after achieving a lifelong goal. It was something I’ll never forget, but at the same time, I knew that I couldn’t fully relate to what they were feeling. Reaching that pinnacle of hockey success in my first year was a tremendous blessing, but I almost wished it had happened later, when I could fully appreciate it."

I guess my point is, he is driven to win one while being a key cog

thats fair.
but to say the kid "led" his team to the cup as a 4th liner/ pressbox spectator is silly (not you, the obviously biased stars fan)

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
lol nope, swing an a miss

this is the 2nd straight HF poll that has Tavares winning.
TSN has always had Tavares > Seguin as well.

so yeah, that

Holy f***, let go of the TSN rankings.

I’ve told you this in other threads: the TSN rankings are hot shit. They had Jonathan Toews at second.

And they had Matthews at 10th.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You really want me to go back and show the stats to show that seguin was never the 2nd leading scorer over the last 3-4 years? seriously [mod]

also talking about seguin leading his team to a cup is hot garbage. he was a healthy scratch half the time and a 4th liner when he got in. He is awful in the playoffs and to try to paint him to be more of a leader based on playoff production compared to tavares is laughable

Learn to read. Not worth my time until you actually read what I say/said. Until then, don't bother responding.

Also no clue what the **** you're talking about in the first paragraph, but it's not something I said. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad