Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Overhearing random people on the subway isn’t really much of a legitimate source, likely best not to insinuate one has insider connections,when clearly the opposite seems to be true
What about the voice in your head? Ligit? Because then hes go us.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
another person trying to suck and blow , lol
Why don't you respond like an adult? Just admit that you were out to lunch for just once in your life.
so you're saying Dubas wasn't the "sole or biggest reason" you're just saying he played an "important role" and had a "major impact"

and how about Shanny and the you know the guy who he'll be dealing with the most which is Babcock his coach who he's played for with Team Canada , how come i barely here anyone giving them much credit ?
Shanny and Babcock themselves said Dubas was the one in the driver's seat and really put in a lot of work to make an excellent pitch and they praised him a lot. But hey you can question Shanny then I guess

also what did he do that no other GM has done before ?
In the current free agent structure which came in to place in 1995, no 1st overall pick has ever walked away as a UFA from the team that drafted them.

In general, the only big stars in recent memory that left the teams which drafted them were Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and both of them had special circumstances because both of their fathers were terminally ill and lived in the Minnesota area. Hockey players love comfort and familiarity and they are also fiercely loyal so it takes a lot for a franchise player to walk away from the only team he has known.
it's also funny that you accuse me of twisting words when i never said he and the rest of the group representing the Leafs had no importance in JT signing here , i merely keep repeating that the biggest reason(s) JT signed here was because of the young core we have and because of there age it gave JT the longest window to win
Except you created a narrative that lots of Leaf fans have apparently been saying that Dubas was the main reason for everything and that he should get all the praise, which nobody has been doing. You took it so far that you started to question these imaginary fans as to why Dubas couldn't sign CDH.

The Tavares decision was razor thin and came down to the wire as per his own words. If Dubas gives a bad or even mediocre pitch with that kind of margin of error then we may have missed on JT.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
when tavares signs a 11m US deal, hes getting 14m canadian. he lives in canada so hes really signing a 14m/yr deal. Yes the taxes are messed but hes still getting 14 over 11.

I know this is a "duh" comment, just thought interesting. Living in a country with a weaker dollar, and being paid in the stronger one. hes gonna spend most of his $$ in canada (home food etc). So instead of 11m US, he gets 14m canadian, which is more lol.

just thought that was interesting.

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
FB_IMG_1530826426179.jpg

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why don't you respond like an adult? Just admit that you were out to lunch for just once in your life.

Shanny and Babcock themselves said Dubas was the one in the driver's seat and really put in a lot of work to make an excellent pitch and they praised him a lot. But hey you can question Shanny then I guess

In the current free agent structure which came in to place in 1995, no 1st overall pick has ever walked away as a UFA from the team that drafted them.

In general, the only big stars in recent memory that left the teams which drafted them were Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and both of them had special circumstances because both of their fathers were terminally ill and lived in the Minnesota area. Hockey players love comfort and familiarity and they are also fiercely loyal so it takes a lot for a franchise player to walk away from the only team he has known.

Except you created a narrative that lots of Leaf fans have apparently been saying that Dubas was the main reason for everything and that he should get all the praise, which nobody has been doing. You took it so far that you started to question these imaginary fans as to why Dubas couldn't sign CDH.

The Tavares decision was razor thin and came down to the wire as per his own words. If Dubas gives a bad or even mediocre pitch with that kind of margin of error then we may have missed on JT.
when i'm involved in an discussion with an adult i'll start acting like one , unfortunately i'm in a discussion with someone who is trying to argue that he isn't saying Dubas was a major reason JT came home but then turns around and says he had a huge impact on his decision , i guess you think using different words changes your message for some reason

Babs and Shanny said something something and Dubas today vastly downplayed his impact saying it was elite young core that was the reason JT signed here as well as praising Shanny and Babs in the process . So it seems we're getting conflicting reports but for some reason you only pick and choose the ones that fit your narrative .

and what am i out to lunch on exactly ?

-saying that i believed the main reason JT left NY was because his goal was finding a team where he was a good fit and gave him a great chance to win a cup with the longest window

or

-not believing a major reason JT choose Toronto was because he wanted to play for a rookie GM who's biggest accomplishment at the NHL to date was trading down at the draft and picking up a 3rd rounder

yup no other 1st rounder has left his team as a ufa and that's because they were traded before getting that opportunity since the GM of there teams weren't incompetent fools like Snow

JT said every pitch was great , whether they were or not doesn't matter because he didn't go into this process blind like some people like to act and at his age he was looking to win now and for as long as possible during the term of his contract so sorry if i don't believe that while he was pacing back and forth trying to make a decision he was thinking about the stylistic pitches teams made and not which team was best fit what he was looking for .

Reactions: The CyNick

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
when i'm involved in an discussion with an adult i'll start acting like one , unfortunately i'm in a discussion with someone who is trying to argue that he isn't saying Dubas was a major reason JT came home but then turns around and says he had a huge impact on his decision , i guess you think using different words changes your message for some reason
I'm going to stop here because it's clear this is pointless and you can't read. I very clearly said that Dubas wasn't the sole or main reason but that he still played a major part and that it's disingenuous to claim anything otherwise. I didn't 'turn around' and claim anything different from what I had said from the very beginning.

It seems like you can't differentiate between the words 'main' vs 'major', so this is a waste of time because you'll just use some sort of insult indirectly calling me a dumb homosexual which is essentially what you've done thus far. Also, adults should know how to read so clearly I'm not dealing with one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe Tavares always wanted to come here and it wasn't a razor thin decision? Maybe that's the political correctness and guilt talking.

Reactions: hotpaws

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Makes no sense. Trotz didn't have to sign immediately with a team. You don't think a coach will get fired in the next 12 months? He would have got paid by someone. You're just trying to downplay Lou's accomplishment because it fits your narrative.

C'mon guys I'm the only one to notice this gem?

LOL @ "facts don't care about your feelings". You're not bringing any facts here man :laugh:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Babs and Shanny said something something and Dubas today vastly downplayed his impact saying it was elite young core that was the reason JT signed here as well as praising Shanny and Babs in the process . So it seems we're getting conflicting reports but for some reason you only pick and choose the ones that fit your narrative .

and what am i out to lunch on exactly ?

-saying that i believed the main reason JT left NY was because his goal was finding a team where he was a good fit and gave him a great chance to win a cup with the longest window

or

-not believing a major reason JT choose Toronto was because he wanted to play for a rookie GM who's biggest accomplishment at the NHL to date was trading down at the draft and picking up a 3rd rounder

yup no other 1st rounder has left his team as a ufa and that's because they were traded before getting that opportunity since the GM of there teams weren't incompetent fools like Snow

JT said every pitch was great , whether they were or not doesn't matter because he didn't go into this process blind like some people like to act and at his age he was looking to win now and for as long as possible during the term of his contract so sorry if i don't believe that while he was pacing back and forth trying to make a decision he was thinking about the stylistic pitches teams made and not which team was best fit what he was looking for .
Everyone else is saying that there were lots of factors, including Dubas. You're getting flak from people because you can't seem to grasp the simple concepts that multiple factors can play large roles in varying degrees, with ripple effects throughout, and that a factor can be major without being the factor.

Dubas is the f***ing GM - The guy in charge of making sure our future stays on track, while continuing to build us into a winner, and also retaining those pieces that made us a winner, and drafting and developing further pieces so that we can create sustainable success even beyond the next 7 years... How can you honestly believe that that person doesn't play an important role in selling a realistic environment that a superstar like John Tavares would want to commit himself to for the rest of his career?

If you think John Tavares is a Leaf today if he doesn't trust the General Manager's ability to create a perennial contender, then you haven't been paying attention to John Tavares.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm going to stop here because it's clear this is pointless and you can't read. I very clearly said that Dubas wasn't the sole or main reason but that he still played a major part and that it's disingenuous to claim anything otherwise. I didn't 'turn around' and claim anything different from what I had said from the very beginning.

It seems like you can't differentiate between the words 'main' vs 'major', so this is a waste of time because you'll just use some sort of insult indirectly calling me a dumb homosexual which is essentially what you've done thus far. Also, adults should know how to read so clearly I'm not dealing with one.
it's good you're stopping since it's getting painful watching you split hairs

this reminds me of the my discussions with the hoard of rabid Burke supporters who on one hand used to argue there was no way Burke could have known the picks he traded were going to be that high and then also argued his accelerated retool was taking longer than he thought because he inherited a brutal team with no assets or prospects , oh my were those were entertaining days lol

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. I feel like you guys need a spanking. This is getting ridiculous now. You guys are sounding like 2 year olds. Shut this thread down. You are making us true blue season ticket holding fan base look bad. I have told all of you what happened before any Toronto and other press source did. I know JT through my grandson and i know Shanny as a kid when i coached him and one of my kids is still friends with him today as an old long time teammate. Some people actually read the stuff on here and it is getting embarrasing. Most of us don't care other than he signed. It is a major win for Toronto that he chose us over New York. It was always one of those 2 teams. San Jose nay have made the best presentation but it was never going to matter, He was never going to San Jose period. Just like he was never going to any of the other teams. Give it up and just enjoy the celebration!!!!!!!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Gramps here. I feel like you guys need a spanking. This is getting ridiculous now. You guys are sounding like 2 year olds. Shut this thread down. You are making us true blue season ticket holding fan base look bad. I have told all of you what happened before any Toronto and other press source did. I know JT through my grandson and i know Shanny as a kid when i coached him and one of my kids is still friends with him today as an old long time teammate. Some people actually read the stuff on here and it is getting embarrasing. Most of us don't care other than he signed. It is a major win for Toronto that he chose us over New York. It was always one of those 2 teams. San Jose nay have made the best presentation but it was never going to matter, He was never going to San Jose period. Just like he was never going to any of the other teams. Give it up and just enjoy the celebration!!!!!!!
Hear, hear!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

New York Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello knows a thing or two about losing his best forward. It happened to him in 2012 when he ran the New Jersey Devils and Zach Parise signed with the Minnesota Wild. It happened again earlier this month when Lamoriello’s current team lost John Tavares on the open market to his former club, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Lamoriello also knows about the challenges of joining a new franchise that, on paper, is nowhere close to being championship calibre.

The 75-year-old joined Gord Stellick and Rob Simpson on Sirius XM’s Stellick & Simmer where he discussed how the Islanders move on from Tavares, plus the similarities and differences between the Isles’ and Leafs’ rosters.

“We did everything, I think, we possibly could to keep John,” Lamoriello said. “He’s been an exceptional player for the Islanders. He’s a quality player but he now is with another team so that’s the past. What we’re doing right now is trying to get knowledge of who we are…and learning more about each and every one of the players we have here and we’ll get, [new head coach Barry Trotz] and I, and our staff will get prepared for next year.”

Although many Islanders fans might think the sky is falling, Lamoriello has plied his trade long enough to where panic never sets it.

“Individual players win games but teams win championships,” Lamoriello said. “I don’t think we have to go any further than what Las Vegas did this past year as far as the job that they did and how they were able to accomplish the success they had by a group of individuals coming together and having success. So, that certainly is the foundation but it certainly is a lot easier when you have players that have been together and have extra talents.”

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Nicely stated. I was getting tired of seeing the posts. Thanks for the insight on JT's thinking. Brought in my blank leaf jersey to have 91, Tavares added and included the "C". It is going to be great seeing JT and AM and the rest of the boys lighting up opposition goalies. You may want to get a head start and threaten to spank anybody who is even thinking about starting a JT vs AM thread. We have never had two better Centres on the team since Moses was parting the Red Sea :)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Everyone else is saying that there were lots of factors, including Dubas. You're getting flak from people because you can't seem to grasp the simple concepts that multiple factors can play large roles in varying degrees, with ripple effects throughout, and that a factor can be major without being the factor.

Dubas is the ****ing GM - The guy in charge of making sure our future stays on track, while continuing to build us into a winner, and also retaining those pieces that made us a winner, and drafting and developing further pieces so that we can create sustainable success even beyond the next 7 years... How can you honestly believe that that person doesn't play an important role in selling a realistic environment that a superstar like John Tavares would want to commit himself to for the rest of his career?

If you think John Tavares is a Leaf today if he doesn't trust the General Manager's ability to create a perennial contender, then you haven't been paying attention to John Tavares.
no one is arguing there weren't many factors involved in his decision but what i'm saying is

-the pitches themselves had very little impact on his final decision
-i believe he was extremely well briefed on the strengths/weaknesses of all teams as well as there present and potential future cap situations
-i believe playing on a contending team and the potential length of the teams cup contention was his greatest concern
-i believe the city he wanted to play in had an impact
-i believe his future wife being from Toronto may have played a part
-and yes i believe the president/gm/coach were involved in his decision but i also believe that if he wasn't comfortable with the people in those positions he wouldn't have even entertained a pitch by that team

in conclusion i believe his mind was pretty much made up before the pitches and he only went through the process to put his mind at ease that he made the right decision and i believe he came here because our situation was as he said the best fit for what he was looking for

now this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs and unfortunately in this instance we'll never know for sure , not that it really makes a difference anyway

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
no one is arguing there weren't many factors involved in his decision but what i'm saying is

-the pitches themselves had very little impact on his final decision
-i believe he was extremely well briefed on the strengths/weaknesses of all teams as well as there present and potential future cap situations
-i believe playing on a contending team and the potential length of the teams cup contention was his greatest concern
-i believe the city he wanted to play in had an impact
-i believe his future wife being from Toronto may have played a part
-and yes i believe the president/gm/coach were involved in his decision but i also believe that if he wasn't comfortable with the people in those positions he wouldn't have even entertained a pitch by that team

in conclusion i believe his mind was pretty much made up before the pitches and he only went through the process to put his mind at ease that he made the right decision and i believe he came here because our situation was as he said the best fit for what he was looking for

now this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs and unfortunately in this instance we'll never know for sure , not that it really makes a difference anyway
That's fine, except for the fact that Dubas is directly responsible for, or plays a major role in, 3 of the 5 points you believe Tavares was influenced by - present/future cap situations, the length of the team's Cup contention, and being a GM that Tavares was comfortable meeting/signing with.

Dubas being the best fit for the Leafs is a pretty big part of the reason why the Leafs are the best fit for Tavares, because it's Dubas' vision (the same one that got him the gig in the first place) that is building the future that Tavares has committed himself to.

Reactions: hamzarocks

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
You know what the best thing is about the Tavares signing? He can no longer do this to us:
giphy.gif

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
You know what the best thing is about the Tavares signing? He can no longer do this to us:
giphy.gif
I haven't seen each and every one of Tavares' games with the Islanders or anything like that, but one thing that I've picked up on in highlights is how often players get caught puck-watching when defending against Tavares, instead of trying to play the body. He seems to be far too creative for many players to get away with that.

Any skating issues also appear to be pretty overblown.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That's fine, except for the fact that Dubas is directly responsible for, or plays a major role in, 3 of the 5 points you believe Tavares was influenced by - present/future cap situations, the length of the team's Cup contention, and being a GM that Tavares was comfortable meeting/signing with.

Dubas being the best fit for the Leafs is a pretty big part of the reason why the Leafs are the best fit for Tavares, because it's Dubas' vision (the same one that got him the gig in the first place) that is building the future that Tavares has committed himself to.
but but but even though you seem to be saying Dubas is the main reason JT signed in Toronto you're not really saying that , am i right ?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'm somewhat of a rogue Leafs fan that spends most of my time on the road(in main boards, fighting the good fight). But when I come back to our forum expecting to see celebrations I see people fighting, enjoy this time people!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
but but but even though you seem to be saying Dubas is the main reason JT signed in Toronto you're not really saying that , am i right ?
As I said before, you can't seem to grasp the simple concepts that multiple factors can play large roles in varying degrees, and that a factor can be major without being the factor. If your poor reading comprehension is leading you to find inferences that are not actually there, that's your problem - not mine, not the Board's, and not Dubas'.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
As I said before, you can't seem to grasp the simple concepts that multiple factors can play large roles in varying degrees, and that a factor can be major without being the factor. If your lack of reading comprehension is leading you to find inferences that are not actually there, that's your problem - not mine, not the Board's, and not Dubas'.
i listed a number of factors which you pretty much ignored and spun back into Dubas being the main reason he signed

funny thing is i have no idea why you and others are trying to deny that you believe Dubas was the main reason JT signed here , at the end of the day it doesn't really matter why he signed , it just matters that he did so why deny what you believe ?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yes he did. A solid accomplishment. But I'm realistic about his impact. The majority of the impact players even on the Marlies he didn't acquire. It was a combination of Lou and Hunter primarily. So again, this is another one of those things that the koolaid drinkers are giving credit to Dubas, but the majority of the credit goes to the previous GM and head scout.

Now again, let's be very very clear here. I'm not saying Dubas deserves ZERO credit, just not as much as some people on here think he should get. And certainly not enough to sway someone to come here.
Dubas owned the development program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad