Proposal: Tavares to the Sabres (Summer)

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Tavares is probably not that hard to trade after he have gotten his salary bonus. Teams who are more occupied with actual money than the salary cap would like getting a solid player who is only owed 900k.

Like a team like Arizona who wont fill up their cap and are pretty close to the playoffs where a guy like Tavares might be what they need to get to WC spots. Problem is Tavares not waiving to play in Arizona.

Would be good for Toronto as for example they could get a guy like Stephenson as a UFA and add a top 4 defenceman for the cap they are using on Tavares. That would make the team better.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Don't think many leaf fans would say no to that lol. But doubt he ever moves/waives. Hes from here, got named the captain when he shouldnt have, has had some kids recently etc. He will likely just ride out next year then re-sign a cheaper deal afterwards.
Isn't his wife from Trona as well. and she has a career in the health industry? I can honestly see him signing a Spezza or Gio deal. Maybe a little higher. Say 2 maybe 3 million. He wants to stay with his family and it will be "for the good of the team".
But if he does that, that is a pretty solid 3rd line centre.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I mean did anyone expect year 6 & 7 to be good value.

I don't think Senators fans thought they'd still be bottom of the league and never made the playoffs 6 years into Tavares contract either.
Years 1-5 were not very good value either. Maybe Year 1 was alright, but the guy brings losing to wherever he goes.

Islanders had much more success without him than they did with him

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
1st round pick is going the wrong way. Even then I think I'd pass. He has 1 more year on his contract, so I don't see why the Leafs would pay to take on the worse contract. Probably would have to be Skinner (50% retention) for Tavares (no retention).
Tavares for Skinner at 50%?

Sabres might say yes. Shorter cap impact than any Skinner buy out scenario for Buffalo and cash savings on salary, to boot.

Even better:

To Buffalo: Tavares, full cap
To Toronto: Skinner, 66% retained ($3M cap hit, Buffalo retains $3M)
To San Jose (for retaining $3M x 3): 2025 Buffalo 2nd, Buffalo B-prospect, 2024 Toronto 2nd, Toronto something else.

Leafs can buy Skinner out when he becomes negative value at $3m. Everyone wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad