News: Tavares to Explore Market - To Speak with 5 teams: TODAY IS THE DAY (Mod Warning in #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Correct me if im wrong but why is this a debate at all? Boston JUST beat Toronto. Until Toronto beats Boston, they arent better. Smash on your keyboard all you want. They just played each other and Boston won.
What are you on about? I'm laughing at that horrible dick measuring contest TOR and BOS fans are having right now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Tavares to the Bruins is frightening. It makes sense as Tavares could eventually be Bergeron's replacement.

As a Leaf fan, the only way I see him choosing Toronto is if he wants to come home and play for his childhood team and break our SC drought. That is it. For me this debating which team and which city are better suited is a waste of time because nobody knows what JT is thinking.

That's what Boston can sell to Tavares, a bigger role in Boston than he'd get in Toronto.

What's been in Boston
#1C Bergeron
#1W Marchand
#1D Chara

Next wave
#1C Tavares
#1W Pasta
#1D McAvoy.

Boston is set for the next 7 years with this signing, how many other teams can say that?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I still think there is an 80+ % chance that Tavares remains with the Islanders.
This is probably a once in a career opportunity to test the market and see how crazy some teams can get. How much money they are willing to pay and what kind of sales pitch they offer. He would be foolish not to check things out.
Whether that changes his mind remains to be seen. He might already have his mind (mostly) made up.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Umm....the majority of said "Toronto fanbase" all think Tavares signs with the Isles. There are a few, like any fanbase, that take it to the extreme.

I don't see why any fans of a team named on that list shouldn't be able to speculate on why Tavares may or may not join their team, Leaf fans included. It's not like we have much else to go on other than the fact he is willing to meet with teams.

Teams like Nashville and Dallas are interesting as well. If Nashville can pull it off I think they would offer the best chance at a Cup despite the tough division they play in.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I really find it funny that people on this board still equate the Isles with guys like Wang/Snow/Weight and their penny pinching history instead of Malkin/Lou/and Trotz.

If it was still the Wang regime no Islander fan could blame him for bailing. But when they already fixed their biggest problem by hiring Trotz and Lou it's like people here cannot comprehend it. 90% of their issues defensively stemmed from having no game plan in the defensive zone. Weight was absolutely brutal for this team and it showed. This team will be 60-70 goals better next year based on that alone.

Add on top that he would be apart of a 1-2 punch with Barzal the entire length of the contract. This would be the Isles Crosby/Malkin along with guys that are up and coming like Beauvillier and Pulock. No other team can offer that. Also they have legit goal scorers on the wings and the pipeline is stocked with guys like Bellows/Wahlstrom/Ho Sang(if he puts it together).

Defensively and goaltending they just need to solidify for now and they will be a second round team capable of a conference final. They are not the disaster everyone on this board thinks they are.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That's what Boston can sell to Tavares, a bigger role in Boston than he'd get in Toronto.

What's been in Boston
#1C Bergeron
#1W Marchand
#1D Chara

Next wave
#1C Tavares
#1W Pasta
#1D McAvoy.

Boston is set for the next 7 years with this signing, how many other teams can say that?
....The Leafs. I mean seeing as he is talking to Tampa also add them.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

What's been in Boston
#1C Bergeron
#1W Marchand
#1D Chara

Next wave
#1C Tavares
#1W Pasta
#1D McAvoy.

One. I'll give you a guess which team it is.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Agreed. If he us looking for the best chance to win "right now", it's the Bruins...they are a step ahead of us on D, and Berg/Rat/Pasta+ are a dam good forward core. But if he wants to be close to family, have a chance to win a cup in the next few years (with some D upgrades) and play for his childhood favorite team....then Toronto is his choice.

That said, i think it's the Isles.

Me as well.

Hockey players are conservative, corny, and dry; and do not like to rock the boat in any fashion. When in doubt, take the most boring version of the story.

Reactions: 1specter

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
....The Leafs. I mean seeing as he is talking to Tampa also add them.

Leafs are close, but I don't buy Rielly = franchise D-man.
Boston has rebuilt their u25 group and can support Tavares with quality, and should be able longterm, Leafs are already looking at giving up JVR+ Bozak, and should look for outside help for defense.

Tampa has Kucherov/McDonagh/Strålman/Point needing new contracts next year, their depth could die up quickly.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Listen dude, I feel it’s 50/50 as far as Toronto fans being realistic vs ignorant.....guess what group my scientific approach has you in
And you making assumptions about all Leafs fans because of a few definitely puts you in the latter.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

What's been in Boston
#1C Bergeron
#1W Marchand
#1D Chara

Next wave
#1C Tavares
#1W Pasta
#1D McAvoy.

If Bruins land Tavares, we'd have to try to get McDavid to come home in order to gain ground. It will be disappointing for Leaf fans if Tavares resigns with the Isles. It will be worse if he signs with the Bruins. Hoping Tavares being a Leaf fan as a kid, would never sign with one of our rivals :)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Boston has rebuilt their u25 group and can support Tavares with quality, and should be able longterm, Leafs are already looking at giving up JVR+ Bozak, and should look for outside help for defense.

Tampa has Kucherov/McDonagh/Strålman/Point needing new contracts next year, their depth could die up quickly.

Not sure you can buy McAvoy as a possible franchise D-man, and then not buy Rielly as a potential franchise D-man. One could say that is biased. Similar can be said of the u25 group.

Also, the shedding of JVR\Bozak is addition by subtraction. They are in no way core pieces.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
As a big Leaf fan, I would love to see Tavares pick the Leafs. But to be honest, I don’t know what they can tell him in a 30 minute meeting that he doesn’t already know about Toronto and the Leafs. IMO if he was coming and was excited, he would have cut off negotiations with the isles weeks ago. There is nothing they can say that will surprise him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cotton

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I honestly don't see JVR and especially Bozak being a lose. Especially in the scenario that Tavares does sign we are looking at Kadri being our 3C. As for JVR the biggest place we will miss him is on the powerplay 5v5 a player like Johnsson should be able to step in seamlessly. A lot of Toronto's depth pieces were down on the Marlies all year which just won the Calder Cup and didn't get the chance over veterans this year. As far as Rielly being a "franchise D-man" it kind of depends on what your definition is. Personally I think he is a #1 in this league but I do think it is over stated just how important it is to get the big names on defense especially when looking at the past cup winners in recent years.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Boston is so much more complete than Toronto. They have a true Number 1 Goalie, a rock solid defense and if you add Tavares their forward group is better. Sleeper pick imo. Hope I’m wrong tho :laugh:

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I think if Tavares signed in Boston, which he won’t, they would move Krejci to the Blues or another team for picks and or prospects.

Marchand Bergeron Bjork
Debrusk Tavares Pastrnak
Heinen Donato Backes
4th line

Is pretty darn good. That said...

Lee Tavares Wahlstrom
Bellows Barzal Eberle
Beauvillier Bailey Ho-Sang

Sounds very good too. And probably for longer and also for a longer contract that would probably be more per season too.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don't see why any fans of a team named on that list shouldn't be able to speculate on why Tavares may or may not join their team, Leaf fans included. It's not like we have much else to go on other than the fact he is willing to meet with teams.

Teams like Nashville and Dallas are interesting as well. If Nashville can pull it off I think they would offer the best chance at a Cup despite the tough division they play in.
My point was that the Majority of us think he stays with the Isles before going anywhere else.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
My point was that the Majority of us think he stays with the Isles before going anywhere else.

I agree, it's just some fun speculation at this point.

I thought after the draft and the complete restructuring of the front office/coaching staff that they'd be able to sell him on their long term future.

Perhaps he was just so close to this process he's willing to hear what other teams have to say.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Average ages are skewed by importance. This is a good post, because I think this is the most realistic assessment of young talent on an NHL team on this site (every other post is about how they've got 10 21 year old future Hall of Famers, and everyone else's team has a bunch of Alex Daigles and Peter Pruchas), but equating Marleau and Chara's importance is insane. In fact, Marleau could very well make the Hall of Fame, and at his best might not have been as valuable as a 40 year old Chara. Chara was the best defenseman of his generation by a wide margin, and is still great. When people say the Bruins are old, they just mean Bergeron/Marchand/Chara/Krejci/Rask, the core of the last decade (who feel like they should've won more), are all at the age where like "hey, if Bergeron looks human next year, it shouldn't quite shock us." Not what I'd bet on, but possible.

I believe Boston had the most rookies in the league last season and many of them excelled including McAvoy as their #1 D for most of the season. Pastrnak is as good as anyone on the Leafs outside of Mathews. These teams are not far off age wise any way we look at it unless the person is a complete homer with an agenda. Boston has a bunch or good LHD prospects ready to start battling for a spot right now. The Bruins have a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks on D ready to battle for a spot. They have guys like Donato who at one point Pierre McGuire was so enamored with he called him the best forward not playing in the NHL(I think he meant college players). He then proceeded to score 5 goals and 9 points in 12 games at the end of the season. He will be a rookie this season.

The Bruins have a bunch of players on the verge of being able to battle for an NHL spot. The will probably add 2-3 rookies this season. They are rebuilding and getting better at the same time. The best teams have blend of youth, players in their prime, and vets. Boston has all of that. I think Boston would be a very desirable place for any player as long as they were offering the same money as anyone else.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I agree, it's just some fun speculation at this point.

I thought after the draft and the complete restructuring of the front office/coaching staff that they'd be able to sell him on their long term future.

Perhaps he was just so close to this process he's willing to hear what other teams have to say.
Does make sense to a degree that he made it this far, at least hear these teams out. That being said, Tavares has been nothing but a true professional since day one, I dont think hed waste these teams time unless there was a serious possibility that he will be leaving.

I am not trying to be the debbie downer that some fellow islanders fans think I am, but the reality of things are that Tavares could end up leaving and it will be squarely on the shoulders of Snow.

Lou and Trotz might be too little too late.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I honestly don't see JVR and especially Bozak being a lose. Especially in the scenario that Tavares does sign we are looking at Kadri being our 3C. As for JVR the biggest place we will miss him is on the powerplay 5v5 a player like Johnsson should be able to step in seamlessly. A lot of Toronto's depth pieces were down on the Marlies all year which just won the Calder Cup and didn't get the chance over veterans this year. As far as Rielly being a "franchise D-man" it kind of depends on what your definition is. Personally I think he is a #1 in this league but I do think it is over stated just how important it is to get the big names on defense especially when looking at the past cup winners in recent years.

JVR scored 36 goals last season, losing him without a guy ready to replace him is a loss.
Now if you sign Tavares that doesn't hurt, but the point is Boston isn't looking to lose anybody from the roster, they are just adding kids and could add Tavares on top of that.

Boston was already an elite team, add Tavares into that and what a beast could they have.

Not sure you can buy McAvoy as a possible franchise D-man, and then not buy Rielly as a potential franchise D-man. One could say that is biased. Similar can be said of the u25 group.

Also, the shedding of JVR\Bozak is addition by subtraction. They are in no way core pieces.

You don't know the difference between a rookie and a player in his early prime?
Shouldn't be too difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad