Value of: Tavares Rights

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think most clubs would just wait for free agency. Plus, if you don't sign him, after paying for his negotiating rights, it looks bad.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
His rights would be worth a pick, whether that be conditional 1st, or a 2nd. There's absolutely no way you can give up Kyrou and a guaranteed 1st for him. If the Blues gave Kyrou and a guaranteed 1st for his rights and he does't sign, Armstrong should be canned immediately. Actually, he should be canned the second that trade goes through regardless because that would be absurd. Not many situations would call for an ownership intervention, but trading Kyrou and a 1st just to talk to a guy should be nixed the second it even gets presented to them.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
To be fair, the Islander's GM would have to give it some pause; he'd have to call an attorney first to make sure he wasn't legally culpable for stealing from another team. Which brings up a better question: would the NHL even allow this trade to go through? Surely there has to be some limit to what they'd allow -- and this has to be close. Then again... Hall for Larsson... Even if it's a question of intent, at some point a trade is so lopsided that you couldn't rule out bad intent.

I'd like to see a trade get nixed. Bro, you're such a bad GM, that we're not even going to allow you to make moves. Truly a feels bad man, or at least a slap in the face.

Last edited:

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
This feels like another Stamkos situation. Mulling it over until the 11th hour and then re-signing.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
This feels like another Stamkos situation. Mulling it over until the 11th hour and then re-signing.

Why would this have any similarity to Stamkos?

Islanders are not as good as the Lightning and NY doesn't have the tax breaks FLA does. Completely different situations so I really don't get why these situations would be comparable.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That is what the nyi have gambled on.
If the nyi were going to trade Tavares, the time to trade him was af the last TDL. Isles owners choose to wait it out and hope he returns after speaking with other teams. No backing off that stance now.
Not interested in moving Tavares unless his rep contacts the nyi and says Tavares is leaving and wants team X to have that 8th yr.
Then the gamble will have failed and I would expect a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

One key difference: Stamkos was re-signing to be on a cup contender. Tavares has won one playoff series in his 9 years with the Islanders.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think most clubs would just wait for free agency. Plus, if you don't sign him, after paying for his negotiating rights, it looks bad.

Yeah, it would look bad. If he's on the verge of testing the market, he's not going to sign with the team that acquires his right and relinquish that one opportunity he has to hear pitches from all the teams.

His rights are worth nothing for that reason. Either he signs before July 1st with the Islanders or he will test the market and see where he wants to sign.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Islanders are not as good as the Lightning and NY doesn't have the tax breaks FLA does. Completely different situations so I really don't get why these situations would be comparable.
Friedman wrote several months ago that Tavares seemed to be coming up with excuses to stay.

I do not think Tavares needs excuses. He does not owe the press or fans an explanation ,when he decides were he wants to play

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary

Because at this time 2 years ago, Stamkos hadn't re-signed with TB, and the topic of him testing free agency was often brought up.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Because at this time 2 years ago, Stamkos hadn't re-signed with TB, and the topic of him testing free agency was often brought up.

Thanks for the response.

If that's the the reasoning you're going off then I personally still find those 2 situations very different. FWIW I do think JT would rather not move but unlike Stamkos who was already on a perennial contender with one of the best GM's and groups of personnel in the league, JT is on a team that has missed the PO's quite a lot and has a noob head coach in Doug Weight and its own personnel deficiencies. It just seems like an apples/oranges situation to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad