Value of: Tavares Rights

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If NYI decides to try and move him "for something" what would u be willing to offer just to acquire his rights to try and sign him before july 1st?

As a blues fan i think i'd be comfortable moving Kyrou and maybe the WPG 1st this year. Despite the lack of leverage NYI would have, just so we an outbid everybody else

How about you guys?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If NYI decides to try and move him "for something" what would u be willing to offer just to acquire his rights to try and sign him before july 1st?

As a blues fan i think i'd be comfortable moving Kyrou and maybe the WPG 1st this year. Despite the lack of leverage NYI would have, just so we an outbid everybody else

How about you guys?

200w.gif
nRgVPSC.jpg

notsureifsrs.

4th/5th at most.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
That's a lot to give up for negotiating rights
JT seems to be loyal to a fault. If a team paid that high of a price for his rights IMO that would give that team a huge upper hand to sign him. If blues made that type of trade and he signed with them instead of sharks, isles or another team it would turn them into a true contender for years.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
This is more "sign and trade" than negotiating rights, and I'm really not even sure a sign and trade is a legit option.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL

How about you guys?
giphy.gif

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Tavares is going to get money and term from multiple teams. His negotiating rights don't have much value at all. If he wont sign before Free Agency with the Islanders, he isn't going to do it for any other team.

What has actual value is a sign and trade. In that scenario, if Tavares wants to go elsewhere, the Islanders get some assets and Tavares can get an 8th year. Tavares dictates where he goes though and early negotiating rights probably wont help any team.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
JT seems to be loyal to a fault. If a team paid that high of a price for his rights IMO that would give that team a huge upper hand to sign him. If blues made that type of trade and he signed with them instead of sharks, isles or another team it would turn them into a true contender for years.

If he was that loyale he would sign with the NYI, if he goes, it's for different purposes, such as a particular team he wants to play for or simply getting the best offer whos closer from in a team he feels who can contend with him aboard.

If he was about money or about loyalty he would stay with NYI because i feel like NYI would match anything.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Tavares is going to get money and term from multiple teams. His negotiating rights don't have much value at all. If he wont sign before Free Agency with the Islanders, he isn't going to do it for any other team.

What has actual value is a sign and trade. In that scenario, if Tavares wants to go elsewhere, the Islanders get some assets and Tavares can get an 8th year. Tavares dictates where he goes though and early negotiating rights probably wont help any team.

This really only has legs if Tavares wants that 8th year badly. Otherwise, why would he want to deplete the team he's about to join of quality assets?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A players rights won’t get you that much. Even if it’s an elite player.

As an islanders if we were trade Tavares rights I honestly wouldn’t expect anything more than a 3rd round pick.

The only scenario that I could possibly see the isles getting more is if they make the trade conditional and get more if Tavares signs

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I could see a team throwing NYI a 4th or 5th round pick for rights. But nothing much more than that.

The only situation/team that would make sense as a sign and trade possibility would be the mentioned Nashville Johansen/Tavares deal. The value is obviously there for Tavares (he gets to play on a great team with his buddy, PK), it's there for Nashville, but it's not there for NYI who would probably be better off without Johansen's contract. I really don't know of any similar situations.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
NYI take that deal in a heartbeat since they have zero risk in it and get a pick and a top level prospect to boot. Nothing would prevent them from resigning him after July 1 as his rights run out on that day. If he does decide to not re-up with NYI, then they still get a pick and a top level prospect and the Blues get nothing at all except the mockery of every team and fanbase. It would be the ultimate coup and probably cost Armstrong his job because that would be probably the most boneheaded move a GM has made in recent memory. Blues fans need to get used to the idea of not getting JT and focus on realistic things to improve the team.

Reactions: Colt55

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This really only has legs if Tavares wants that 8th year badly. Otherwise, why would he want to deplete the team he's about to join of quality assets?

Depends on what type of assets we're talking about. Or how an 8th year may drop the cap hit. I don't think Tavares would be too worried about a new team moving non-core pieces or picks. And the Islanders leverage would be limited in such a situation. But it seems like a scenario that could benefit everyone.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I would give the 31st pick and Bogoasian, Buffalo's 2019 1st and future considerations if he signs.

Last edited:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
NYI take that deal in a heartbeat since they have zero risk in it and get a pick and a top level prospect to boot. Nothing would prevent them from resigning him after July 1 as his rights run out on that day. If he does decide to not re-up with NYI, then they still get a pick and a top level prospect and the Blues get nothing at all except the mockery of every team and fanbase. It would be the ultimate coup and probably cost Armstrong his job because that would be probably the most boneheaded move a GM has made in recent memory. Blues fans need to get used to the idea of not getting JT and focus on realistic things to improve the team.

We can have both but yeah banking on Tavares isn't wise for any fan base even if your team is on his 3-4 team short list.

Reactions: 67Blues

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
When players on the level of Tavares leave, it's typically for 1 of 3 reasons:

1. They want money.
2. They want to win a cup.
3. They have a personal connection to another club.

It's not as though Tavares is going to look at whoever acquires his rights and change his opinion on those factors. Anyone who pays more than a 3rd is overpaying. What's the most negotiating rights have been traded for in the past? A 1st+ seems like a massive overpayment.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

If JT is so loyal, he won't be leaving the Islanders....

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The Islanders shouldn't get much for his rights should they opt to trade him. But they may very well due to a team being desperate or under a strong belief that they could retain him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

How about you guys?
That's terrible

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007

How about you guys?
It does not matter. As long he re-signs with my team, I do not care if my team acquires his rights or signs him as a UFA.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
For the Islanders their best bet to maximize trading Tavares is do a sign and trade(so Tavares gets his 8th year). This would assume an 8th year would make a difference for one team over a 7 year deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad