Tavares Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
yea they don't need him but maybe for like a 3rd round pick and salary retained they can take him back?

or do we have to sweeten the pot? happy to throw in matthews he'll win you a couple of games in October.

To be honest, this years Islanders with Tavares would be an absolute force.

They don't need him, but they would be a lot better with him. I think the fans know it.

He's definitely the #2C now behind Barzal, though. To be honest, he would be a very good LW playing nightly with Barzal, with his excellent finish.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Leafs Record since ADDING Tavares and SUBTRACTING Lou, Uncle Leo and Matt Martin

59-42-12
Round 1 exit

Islanders record since SUBTRACTING Tavares and ADDING Lou, Uncle Leo and Matt Martin

66-33-9
Round 2 exit

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Let me ask you this: how much did adding a 11M JT really improve our team? I don't think it has. Still lost in 1st round last year, and on pace to miss the playoffs this season. He doesn't look the same this season either. I am really starting to doubt this signing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Of the big contracts I think Tavares should be the one to go. Yes, he has a NMC, but the way things could go we may be looking at a Brad Richards type decline. Not sounding the alarms yet just game planning a couple of seasons down the line.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Of the big contracts I think Tavares should be the one to go. Yes, he has a NMC, but the way things could go we may be looking at a Brad Richards type decline. Not sounding the alarms yet just game planning a couple of seasons down the line.
They wouldn't have given him the 'C' if they weren't planning on keeping him around for his contract.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The takes in this thread are honestly awful. He hasn't been great this year, but despite that he still has 20 pts in 23 games, which is almost the same point pace as golden boy Barzal.

He was also looking like he was rounding back into form right before the finger injury happened.

He has to be better for sure, but it's kind of funny seeing everyone just writing him off already.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
The takes in this thread are honestly awful. He hasn't been great this year, but despite that he still has 20 pts in 23 games, which is almost the same point pace as golden boy Barzal.

He was also looking like he was rounding back into form right before the finger injury happened.

He has to be better for sure, but it's kind of funny seeing everyone just writing him off already.
This board would have had a heart attack if they ever had to deal with Nathan Mackinnon being on their team and watching his career progress from rookie to now. Hell pretty much all of them would've gave up on the guy a long time ago.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not Josi. He re-signed with Nashville. Time will tell if Pietrangelo is a viable option like Tavares ended up being.

Pietrangelo is a little interesting. He will need 7yrs. He doesn't have EKs pedigree but of the two, given Karlsson's injury history AP seems to be a better bet to earn his deal. But with the Leafs cap situation and specific needs I would not consider him at $11M. He doesn't seem like a solid all-in investment for a soft and defensively weak club., especially with a committed overpay to JT on their books. A club with a strong defensive system could justify a lot more of a commitment.

Probably not a silver bullet for the team unless Dubas actually thought Barrie was an end game because his offense is his biggest contribution and that isn't a big Leaf weakness to most people. Given their respective age and cost I would consider waiting for Dougie first if they needing a big offensive RD who doesn't hit. If they are exporting Rielly then AP makes a lot more sense but he doesn't have the all around game of someone like a prime Doughty.. I don't see him as the kind of player I would reconstruct my team to accommodate.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Pietrangelo is a little interesting. He will need 7yrs. He doesn't have EKs pedigree but of the two, given Karlsson's injury history AP seems to be a better bet to earn his deal. But with the Leafs cap situation and specific needs I would not consider him at $11M. He doesn't seem like a solid all-in investment for a soft and defensively weak club., especially with a committed overpay to JT on their books. A club with a strong defensive system could justify a lot more of a commitment.

Probably not a silver bullet for the team unless Dubas actually thought Barrie was an end game because his offense is his biggest contribution and that isn't a big Leaf weakness to most people. Given their respective age and cost I would consider waiting for Dougie first if they needing a big offensive RD who doesn't hit. If they are exporting Rielly then AP makes a lot more sense but he doesn't have the all around game of someone like a prime Doughty.. I don't see him as the kind of player I would reconstruct my team to accommodate.

I'm not sure of the long term viability of STL having one of their RHD playing the left side, so I don't know if that means Pietrangelo seeks to sign elsewhere as the pending UFA of that trio.

I don't really see him signing with the Leafs, though I did think the same about Tavares once too! Even if the blueline ended up consisting of Pietrangelo, Rielly, Dermott, Holl, Sandin and Liljegren though, I'm not sure if that's feasible moving forward considering however the rest of the team may then need to look like due to the cap.

My original point was just that the Leafs couldn't pass on signing Tavares as a UFA simply because of the possibility of either Josi or Pietrangelo also reaching UFA status two offseasons later.

Reactions: nuck

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s almost like we need a Tavares for Doughty one for one swap, with the idea Drew rediscovers his mojo. Same exact contract, but shifts all that money from F to D where it’s needed and finally gives us a real 1A on RHD to play beside Rielly. Plus Stanley Cup and Team Canada pedigree that you can’t just find anywhere.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares skating issue's really get highlighted vs fast teams. They eat him up with back pressure and pressure from all directions. His skating is very average.

They had a good #2 center , one with jam and wounds from playoff loses. Kadri was a bargain too and a different mix from Matthews and added much needed grit. Leafs need Tavaras 11 million to spend on D and Kadri in the #2C spot but that shipped sailed and Dubas was milked in the Top 4 earners on this team in less than 1 year.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm not sure of the long term viability of STL having one of their RHD playing the left side, so I don't know if that means Pietrangelo seeks to sign elsewhere as the pending UFA of that trio.

I don't really see him signing with the Leafs, though I did think the same about Tavares once too! Even if the blueline ended up consisting of Pietrangelo, Rielly, Dermott, Holl, Sandin and Liljegren though, I'm not sure if that's feasible moving forward considering however the rest of the team may then need to look like due to the cap.

My original point was just that the Leafs couldn't pass on signing Tavares as a UFA simply because of the possibility of either Josi or Pietrangelo also reaching UFA status two offseasons later.

Absolutely agree. They have to reconcile themselves to the fact this lineup is close but not there yet, and they will need to move out some big salary to make the fixes. Waiting for UFAs will not solve their issues and I am sure that isn't Shanny and Dubas' plan. They just don't want to get Chiarellied.

Reactions: Buds17

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Tavares skating issue's really get highlighted vs fast teams. They eat him up with back pressure and pressure from all directions. His skating is very average.

They had a good #2 center , one with jam and wounds from playoff loses. Kadri was a bargain too and a different mix from Matthews and added much needed grit. Leafs need Tavaras 11 million to spend on D and Kadri in the #2C spot but that shipped sailed and Dubas was milked in the Top 4 earners on this team in less than 1 year.
The problem isn't Tavares or Kadri. It's the contract he gave to Marner. Tavares has shown regardless of his wingers he's a franchise C that will put up his usual 80-90 points. Matthews was also injured 2 of his 3 seasons in his ELC and when that happens, Kadri is your 1C and that's bad. What they should've done was. Sign Tavares, negotiate hard with Marner and then move him if he demands too much.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Tavares-Milky
Hyman-Kadri-Moore
Engvall-Goat-Timo

That extra 6.5-7 million saved on Marner could be used for the D-upgrade

Rielly-D from Marner trade
Muzzin-Dermott
Sandin-Holl

That team is not as talented offensively (mind you it still has 2 franchise 1C's and I think Nylander can be ppg in his prime) but the cap savings can be used towards a back up goalie and a 2D that can be part of this core long term.

The only staples in the Hawks 3 cups were Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
It’s almost like we need a Tavares for Doughty one for one swap, with the idea Drew rediscovers his mojo. Same exact contract, but shifts all that money from F to D where it’s needed and finally gives us a real 1A on RHD to play beside Rielly. Plus Stanley Cup and Team Canada pedigree that you can’t just find anywhere.

Tavares has the Team Canada pedigree as well.

The difference between the 2 is since signing Tavares has played very well and Doughty has played not so well.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The problem isn't Tavares or Kadri. It's the contract he gave to Marner. Tavares has shown regardless of his wingers he's a franchise C that will put up his usual 80-90 points. Matthews was also injured 2 of his 3 seasons in his ELC and when that happens, Kadri is your 1C and that's bad. What they should've done was. Sign Tavares, negotiate hard with Marner and then move him if he demands too much.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Tavares-Milky
Hyman-Kadri-Moore
Engvall-Goat-Timo

That extra 6.5-7 million saved on Marner could be used for the D-upgrade

Rielly-D from Marner trade
Muzzin-Dermott
Sandin-Holl

That team is not as talented offensively (mind you it still has 2 franchise 1C's and I think Nylander can be ppg in his prime) but the cap savings can be used towards a back up goalie and a 2D that can be part of this core long term.

The only staples in the Hawks 3 cups were Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook.

+ Corey Crawford

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Maybe Willie + for Doughty? JT wouldn't waive to go there and the Kings want to get younger. The problem with big game hunting is you want to do it when the other club is under pressure, like the fleecing of the Preds in the Subban deal. I don't like PK near as much as Doughty but if you believe he has the strong potential to bounce back, the Devils don't have much into him and they are interested in showing Hall they can win. Definitely a buy low opportunity I think.

The Kings have nothing to lose by waiting. They aren't drawing any attendance right now and moving Doughty out isn't going to help that unless they get a monster return.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Maybe Willie + for Doughty? JT wouldn't waive to go there and the Kings want to get younger. The problem with big game hunting is you want to do it when the other club is under pressure, like the fleecing of the Preds in the Subban deal. I don't like PK near as much as Doughty but if you believe he has the strong potential to bounce back, the Devils don't much into him and they are interested in showing Hall they can win. Definitely a buy low opportunity I think.
I'd move Marner for Doughty way before I move Nylander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad