Proposal: Tavares and the Hawks make sense

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
We will give Toronto back 1 Ryan Donato. Id be happy to take him for half a year. Hold down that 2C spot until Nazar is ready to play NHL minutes.

We can tell him we will eat half his cap and send him where he wants to go at the deadline.
Sure, you could probably sign the player you get to extention as well. Big change to center for him though.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He isn't waiving his NMC to come to Chicago and Hawks sure as f*** would not be taking his $11M cap hit and doing massive favor for Leafs without a sweetener in deal

Marleau dump cost Leafs a 1st rounder. Hawks would be getting a 1st+ to do this as it would likely require a buyout as Tavares would only waive to Chicago if it leads to him becoming FA

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Curious that JT went to worlds, could be:
- he knows he won't have many more shots at these types of tourneys and wants one more
- a naive hope it puts him on radar for the next best vs best tourney
- auditioning to play elsewhere
- 3 kids at home drive him nuts (like me) and jumps at any chance for a business trip
-Get out of Toronto while everyone goes crazy speculating about how he needs to get GTFO, and just focus on hockey for a couple more weeks while the hysteria gets resolved and works itself out.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Still have no idea how anyone doesn't understand going home to Toronto wasn't just his decision.

So he went to Toronto for his retirement contract. Makes Dubas look like more of an imbecile for not being able to gauge what motivates an 11 million per year free agent signed for 7 years. This contract is a spectacular failure.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He isn't waiving his NMC to come to Chicago and Hawks sure as f*** would not be taking his $11M cap hit and doing massive favor for Leafs without a sweetener in deal

Marleau dump cost Leafs a 1st rounder. Hawks would be getting a 1st+ to do this as it would likely require a buyout as Tavares would only waive to Chicago if it leads to him becoming FA
I think the logic would be (a) Hawks get a player that can be a stopgap player while prospects develop, give a bit more talent and another guy that can play PP1, to aid in Bedard's development and the team not getting obliterated every night, (b) obvious for Toronto, get out of of cap hit, use it for something else, (c) for Tavares, play somewhere with less pressure while still being a big market, a fresh start where he'll get a lot of ice time, opportunity but minus the circus aspect as he heads into a UFA season and potentially a place he might consider extending (Chicago to Toronto is a very easy trip if he's concerned with family) if the fit works out.

I doubt Toronto is interested if they have to pay a big premium just to get out of one year. Looking at the situation with their Defense, next year doesn't feel like the year to go "all in", they're going to need picks (since Dubas traded away so many towards the end) if they're going to sustain anything. Chicago has more space than it knows what to do with, so they'd hope that they could get away dumping for nothing as opposed to having to attach a major sweetener. They may consider retaining a small amount if they need to in order to make it work.

But really, the ball is in Tavares court probably more than anything because it's all moot if it's not a place he will waive to.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Dont know what you mean "big change to center for him tho"?
If you want to convert him to center it would be a huge change. Unless, you were thinking of someone else for Donato? He is a decent player.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
If you want to convert him to center it would be a huge change. Unless, you were thinking of someone else for Donato? He is a decent player.
I dont know what the hell your talking about. John Tavares. It wouldnt be a huge change for him to play center.

Ryan Donato is not a decent player.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I dont know what the hell your talking about. John Tavares. It wouldnt be a huge change for him to play center.

I was talking about a player Chicago would get for Donato. Obviously, it wouldn't be Tavares.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Sure,
We're in the Tavares thread. I said we will offer 1 Ryan Donato...
Yeah, I naturally assumed that you were thinking of a different trade as 1 Ryan Donato would not be enough for one John Tavares. I did think it was a touch odd that it was in the Tavares thread, but it wouldn't be a first.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Sure,
Yeah, I naturally assumed that you were thinking of a different trade as 1 Ryan Donato would not be enough for one John Tavares. I did think it was a touch odd that it was in the Tavares thread, but it wouldn't be a first.
John Tavares makes 11 million a year and has a NMC. Your management would give him away for free in 1 second if he gave them an out.

You can sign two good free agents with that money.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
If Tavares was willing to waive, I'd take anything for him at full pop, at 50% retained I'd ask for a 2nd.

The salary and ability to add a D man is way more important than having him, he doesn't do anything for the Leafs.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
John Tavares makes 11 million a year and has a NMC. Your management would give him away for free in 1 second if he gave them an out.

You can sign two good free agents with that money.
I don't think that is true, but I guess it is possible though not very probable.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Hawks can eat the cap but I'd be upset if we weren't compensated for the act. We got a second round pick to take on a very good third line center in Jason Dickinson.
He and Stillman were both struggling players at the time of the trade. It is a credit to the Hawks that he developed in to a very good player.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He and Stillman were both struggling players at the time of the trade. It is a credit to the Hawks that he developed in to a very good player.
Sure but that was a guy we were eating a quarter of the cap hit for. Tavares for anything is a bad trade for Chicago. Tavares+ is a conversation worth having.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I've thought about this scenario as well and I think it makes sense.

Leafs would retain a few mil and ask for basically nothing in return. They get 8 million in free cap space to get a top 4 dman.

Hawks get a good leader and professional to mentor Bedard and gives him some skill to work off of on the PP.

As OP says, it's basically no "real" money for the Hawks and cap is not an issue for them at this stage. It's off the books next season anyways.

The obvious and most difficult impediment is him not waiving. If I'm the Leafs brass I honestly play hardball with him. We gave you a cushy retirement contract and generational wealth and got not much back from the core 4 in the playoffs. This experiment failed and now you need to do what's best for the team and move on otherwise you're in the press box or minors all next season.

It's dirty pool but we've been pushed around and hampered too much by our diva stars.

In this case we give Marner another kick at the can and don't trade him.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I wouldn't take Tavares for free. That's a huge cap hit for a veteran that doesn't move the needle. For a team intending on winning hockey games next year that cap space is valuable. It's meaningless for Chicago. Real dollars are meaningless for Chicago. We're spending a lot on culture. It's market mismanagement to not make teams pay for the cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad