Tavares Alternative View

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABCUser

Mar 9, 2016
I'm know I'm not going to be of the popular decision here, but I'm starting to think that the Tavares signing wasn't what was best for the team. He's a good player for sure but it just might not of been what we need. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have Nylander and a decent defenseman signed instead of him. Granted it's early and he's been very unlucky but I'm not loving the way he skates and carries himself. He seems to think he's better than everyone else. Maybe I'm wrong but I just feel this way and I'm thinking Marner is twice the player he is but he acts like he's God's gift. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I'm know I'm not going to be of the popular decision here, but I'm starting to think that the Tavares signing wasn't what was best for the team. He's a good player for sure but it just might not of been what we need. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have Nylander and a decent defenseman signed instead of him. Granted it's early and he's been very unlucky but I'm not loving the way he skates and carries himself. He seems to think he's better than everyone else. Maybe I'm wrong but I just feel this way and I'm thinking Marner is twice the player he is but he acts like he's God's gift. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
Which defenseman would we have signed that is of tavares’ caliber?

Reactions: stickty111

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If Leivo goes 13 straight games without a goal, playing with Tavares and Marner, then yes... I would try someone else at that point too.
So what if Levio scores a few and Tavares and Marner score a bunch less. then what?

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
Why is there so much hand-wringing over JT? Over PPG production and I actually think he’s been pretty good, one of the only threatening looking players on the whole team during this recent stretch.

The best part about JT for me has been the little things he does. He clearly has exceptional hockey sense and an ability to slow the game down. Take this goal:

Everyone focuses on Marners incredible move, but watch Tavares. Zaitsev(?) floats a grenade in that bounces on Lindholm, and JT settles in down right away, enters the zone, makes a slick little pass to Mitch and drives the net. Absolutely textbook.

He’s not always going to look dominant because he’s not the greatest skater, but the little things he does are gamebreaking. Settle down.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Everything that you've said is basically or completely wrong. But I don't think he was a good investment of cap space. Nor do I think he came at a discount relative to what he produces -- even if it was less than what a couple of other teams purportedly offered.

Without Tavares, we can easily keep our extremely young and growing 105 point team together. Now? Looks like we might lose two major pieces (Nylander and Gardiner).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Tavares is streaky... always has been, always will be. To suggest he is the reason for our issues, is false. I was one of the people who had hoped that we'd use that Cap for a D instead, yet, there really haven't been any available anyway, so Tavares was the correct choice. He hasn't been putting up big points lately, but he will in spurts, and hopefully our guys off streaks, aren't all at the same time going forward.

Nylander not signing, really has nothing to do with Tavares, we should never overpay for players.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
so wasn't this your post on the Islander forum?
Tavares didn't know who he was going to sign with until the very last minute. Meanwhile pajama boy had a selfie ready to post since he was 5.
Can you please get off our board

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I need to see a full season and playoffs of Tavares before i can become critical.
That's about where I'm at.

Honestly, I think he'll be great when all's said and done. High IQ players are always the safest bet.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Tavares is legit one of the humblest guys in the league, I have no idea where you get that arrogance from him but its not there.

Also can we PLEASE have a full season and playoffs before we talk smack about the team, they dont even know who they are yet, it's still the beginning of the FIRST season with all these pieces and some are STILL not here.

Let's all take a chill pill and talk after the first post season.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs are at the tail end of a rebuild and signing JT was a wise decision. I bet if you go back and look at FA signings in any sport the rewards don’t always come in year 1.

This year is about getting the core signed long term then filling in the pieces around them.

Now, had his PP shot off the post been 1 inch to the left and the Leafs had won last night we’d all be measuring underpasses to make sure the floats would fit.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I like Tavares. Tbh I didn't know his game well just from highlights. But he's well rounded, seems to play hard every night. A poor man's Crosby, with all the forechecking.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Really??? That opinion is that small you will have to stand on it using one toe. ;))

Nah he's a great signing actually! I'm thinking a good start would be for Hyman to get third line minutes and play Johnsson there until he gets going. Just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad