Prospect Info: Tate Olson, 2015 7th Round Pick (210th Overall)

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Not going to defend the past Canucks drafting record b/c I don't think it's good at all but that Pat White year was a bad draft year

Before White's pick you got some of the following

Hamil
Ellerby
Plante
Gillies
MacMillian
Esposito
Blum

Then after White you have really nothing much except Subban and Smith (in the mid second round) right through the first 60 picks

It was thin pickings that year. Probably the best move was trading your first.

However, that draft did produce Patrick Kane.

Fun fact:

20 goalies were picked in that draft and all have combined for 28 games.
Scott darling was picked in the 6th round and has 27 of them.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not going to defend the past Canucks drafting record b/c I don't think it's good at all but that Pat White year was a bad draft year

Before White's pick you got some of the following

Hamil
Ellerby
Plante
Gillies
MacMillian
Esposito
Blum

Then after White you have really nothing much except Subban and Smith (in the mid second round) right through the first 60 picks

It was thin pickings that year. Probably the best move was trading your first.

However, that draft did produce Patrick Kane.

You forgot Perron, picked immediately after, who the majority here wanted. He's lost a lot to injuries but would have been nice to have a young 50-60 point winger for our peek window.

Regardless though the rest of those guys don't look very good as NHLers, but White went from College straight to the lower European leagues. The highest level he achieved was a brief stint in the KHL, 26-0-0-0 and -15.

Regardless of the strength of the draft, or lack thereof, that's just a plain bad pick.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
TSN lists Tate as the 4th best Canucks prospect, behind Demko, Boeser, and Shinkaruk:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.436669

Has his stock risen that much?

:)

Interesting that they have him over someone who to me seems like a similar player in Jordan Subban. Also think it's interesting that they have him above a kid like Gaunce who looks to be a pretty solid bet to be an NHL player in some capacity. Nice.

Don't follow prospects nearly enough to argue for or against this list, but you gotta wonder how much of it is just clueless speculation from a website that doesn't really pay attention to the Canucks NHL team (and by extension, it's prospects). Still, a positive sign for sure, and Olsen is obviously an infinitely better pick than Benning's first 7th rounder so there's that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can see Button's list if you're tilting the rankings towards players still in their teens....Brisebois and Olson are still only 18....were barely eligible for last year's draft, so yes, they've come a long way...but what's even more impressive is that the 'Nucks two first rounders from 2014, Virtanen and McCann, have already graduated as prospects, and still in their teens and eligible for junior hockey.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Remember this is Craig Button's list, and he always has his own view on prospects that tends to differ widely from the norm.

He says that too he says he bases on there potential and if he think they'll reach it he doesnt base it off of there official rank or been picked its also how he grades drafts before and after they happen. He seems pretty smart about it but gotta say i dis agree with his Nylander as #1 that to me seems really weird and maybe hes a leafs homer for saying that

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Also, there is kind of a big drop off after the top 3 prospects by any criteria, given those who have graduated already.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He says that too he says he bases on there potential and if he think they'll reach it he doesnt base it off of there official rank or been picked its also how he grades drafts before and after they happen. He seems pretty smart about it but gotta say i dis agree with his Nylander as #1 that to me seems really weird and maybe hes a leafs homer for saying that

Yeah always gets a lot of flack for his lists/rankings on this site, but you have to consider it from a certain perspective. Imagine you had no internet to discuss prospects on and zero input from other media & scouts, but rather you just had to watch the kids play and come up with your own unbiased rankings. How do you think that would turn out?

Obviously Button can see what everyone else is saying, but he still makes his calls sticking by his own opinion.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
talk about perfect asset management from Benning. He traded Patrick McNally, whom wasn't going to sign with Canucks, for the 7th round pick that was used to select Tate Olson who is tracking better than McNally did.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
talk about perfect asset management from Benning. He traded Patrick McNally, whom wasn't going to sign with Canucks, for the 7th round pick that was used to select Tate Olson who is tracking better than McNally did.

I believe we weren't going to sign him. Benning said we had similar players in Subban/Hutton

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Olsen sucks, you can't draft anyone good with a 5th or lower. Or they could have drafted him with Vancouver's own 7th. lol.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
I feel like the 2nd to last pick in the draft should be your swing for the fences pick (ala LA with Ebert, and Watson). But this guy isn't even a huge bruiser, I'm not really sure what he brings

Yeah, just another wasted Benning late round pick. Just like how useless Hutton was the minute he was drafted by Gillis. Canuck GM's & scouts just don't understand hockey. They never have. Benning has to learn that Canuck fans expect franchise players with those valuable 5th, 6th & 7th round picks not minor league long shots like Olson.

:sarcasm:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Yeah, just another wasted Benning late round pick. Just like how useless Hutton was the minute he was drafted by Gillis. Canuck GM's & scouts just don't understand hockey. They never have. Benning has to learn that Canuck fans expect franchise players with those valuable 5th, 6th & 7th round picks not minor league long shots like Olson.

:sarcasm:

You set the bar to low, we expect Hall of Famers in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I'm a little surprised to see Olson so high, he is having a great year though. His Offensive skills are somewhat apparent, in fact, if his decision making can come along he could be 1 of the top offensive defenseman in the WHL.

It's quite amazing how often he gets the puck on net, especially on the Power Play, a big asset to have.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Anybody who's named "Tate" is bound to be a bust, am I right guys? Needs a good Ontariah name like Bowie or Bobbie if they ever wanna amount to anythin!!

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Olsen sucks, you can't draft anyone good with a 5th or lower. Or they could have drafted him with Vancouver's own 7th. lol.

I know you're kidding but for the benefit of people who think there is any difference between rounds 4-7: value-in-acquiring-draft-picks

There is none. Odds of unearthing a player that plays 300+ NHL games hover from 6% to 9% with the 5th round being among the poorest yielding rounds in this particular study (decade long). Posters fond of going on about a certain GM failing to get a pick 4-5 instead of a 6-7 pay special attention. Nucks do better in the modern 8th/young, unsigned FA category than just about any of these late rounds.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I know you're kidding but for the benefit of people who think there is any difference between rounds 4-7: value-in-acquiring-draft-picks

There is none. Odds of unearthing a player that plays 300+ NHL games hover from 6% to 9% with the 5th round being among the poorest yielding rounds in this particular study (decade long). Posters fond of going on about a certain GM failing to get a pick 4-5 instead of a 6-7 pay special attention. Nucks do better in the modern 8th/young, unsigned FA category than just about any of these late rounds.

MG did a great job with unsigned players (Lack and Tanev being the best example). No idea on how Benning is actually doing in that department but his draft picks are trending much better than MG did when MG was GM (but to his credit, MG's drafting improved as he went along).

Of course both GM face the problem of a Canadian market... aka got to go for the playoffs pretty much every year. That means most of the time you'll be missing draft capital and often picking in the later spots vs earlier spots. I.e. 'nucks even if they miss the playoffs this year will be missing picks due to previous trades (unless we get some via trade at the deadline). Unless we completely tank, odds are we'll be drafting around the 10th spot again too instead of say top 5 (we haven't been in the top 5 since the Sedins).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad