Prospect Info: Tate Olson, 2015 7th Round Pick (210th Overall)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sgep4Lx.png

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Really impressive season so far.

Another 2 assists and a +3 last night. He's already matched last seasons point totals in 40 less games.

It's been an eternity since we drafted a guy out of the WHL that has tracked this well post draft.

Did we make moves in that region recently? If nothing else, at least Benning's eyes are now firmly planted in this region.

Is he tracking like a top 2 round pick at the moment?

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
No. He would've needed to produce the way he is this season last year to have been a 1st or 2nd round pick. However he has been very very good. 3rd rounder is more what he's tracking like but still very impressive

momo

Jun 20, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Tate Olson is doing well.

Leads all Prince George Cougars Dmen in points with 37 (0.822 points/game)
Leads his team in (+/-) with +22 (improved from -13 last year)
13th in Dmen scoring WHL. (3 points off top 10)

Solid pick especially since he was chosen 2nd last. I believe Benning traded McNally for this pick.

That makes 3 solid Dmen picks in this draft. :handclap:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Wow looks like hes already 27 or 28 years old :laugh:

Another good late pick by JB his drafting is looking pretty good at this point :)

I'm happy this kid looks like he's developing, but let's ease off on the draft looking good. They all do for the first year of 2.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
A huge step up from the Patrick White's of the world, and Taylor Ellington's and Alexandre Mallet's and many more.

I'm not disagreeing, but Alex daigle looked like a slam dunk too. Lots of prospects look good when you draft them.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
it hurts to give Benning any credit eh?

I'm happy to give any gm credit where it's due. Has Tate Olsen played in the NHL yet? Or am I missing something? I'm not saying he won't, or he won't be a good player, but he could just as easily turn into nothing, like most drafted players.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I'm happy to give any gm credit where it's due. Has Tate Olsen played in the NHL yet? Or am I missing something? I'm not saying he won't, or he won't be a good player, but he could just as easily turn into nothing, like most drafted players.

do most 7th round picks have good draft +1 years? I certainly haven't seen much of it in the Canucks pathetic existence. there is reason to be optimistic when the majority of Bennings picks are playing well.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
do most 7th round picks have good draft +1 years? I certainly haven't seen much of it in the Canucks pathetic existence. there is reason to be optimistic when the majority of Bennings picks are playing well.

Then be optimistic. Please don't be one of the people saying "this draft is already better than anything gillis has done". Because we don't know that yet. It could be better, it could be worse. Let's give it time. If Benning nails this pick, I'll be happy and give him credit, but until then I'm going to wait and see before anointing Benning some super drafter. Looking at his other moves you'll forgive me for being a tad skeptical.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
it hurts to give Benning any credit eh?

It's OK to give credit to picks progressing well but it's not OK to blast Benning for signing garbage like Stew Mac and that "we need to give him more time"?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It's OK to give credit to picks progressing well but it's not OK to blast Benning for signing garbage like Stew Mac and that "we need to give him more time"?

where did I say that? :laugh: you can criticize Stewart all you want but give credit where credit is due. finding potential in the 7th round (Tate Olson) deserves some credit.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta

Don't you worry your little head about it wilchy, It's perfectly okay for you to blast benning too.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
A huge step up from the Patrick White's of the world, and Taylor Ellington's and Alexandre Mallet's and many more.

Not going to defend the past Canucks drafting record b/c I don't think it's good at all but that Pat White year was a bad draft year

Before White's pick you got some of the following

Hamil
Ellerby
Plante
Gillies
MacMillian
Esposito
Blum

Then after White you have really nothing much except Subban and Smith (in the mid second round) right through the first 60 picks

It was thin pickings that year. Probably the best move was trading your first.

However, that draft did produce Patrick Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad