Speculation: Tatar in Play with Avs if Kreider Falls Through - Per Adrian Dater (Colorado Reporter)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
According to this Graves is very underrated. He has very good offensive data for never getting any power play time.

They're not trading Girard and if we got Graves and give him more pp time he more than likely wouldnt do any better. He's got a big shot and if I'm not mistaken he plays with Makar 5 on 5, so he likely gets time with MacKinnon. Picks up a few points for just being on the ice.

Reactions: Vachon23

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Fair enough, but it's not quite the same thing. Certainly there was speculation that Pac would be dealt and I recall the rumours with the LA Kings at the draft, but the actual trade with Vegas kind of came out of the blue. It is not like there were rumours of McPhee and Bergevin meeting over multiple days beforehand.

We'll see if something actually happens with Colorado, but I have my doubts. Most likely Bergevin will sell off the upcoming UFAs (Kovy, Thompson, maybe Cousins) and call it a day. If he does do something a bit more bold and trade a Tatar or Petry it will be to a team that no one is talking about, like NYI or Dallas. Just my prediction anyway.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
Fair enough, but it's not quite the same thing. Certainly there was speculation that Pac would be dealt and I recall the rumours with the LA Kings at the draft, but the actual trade with Vegas kind of came out of the blue. It is not like there were rumours of McPhee and Bergevin meeting over multiple days beforehand.

We'll see if something actually happens with Colorado, but I have my doubts. Most likely Bergevin will sell off the upcoming UFAs (Kovy, Thompson, maybe Cousins) and call it a day. If he does do something a bit more bold and trade a Tatar or Petry it will be to a team that no one is talking about, like NYI or Dallas. Just my prediction anyway.
You make some good points

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Whether or not a trade happens, it’s incontrovertible that they’re talking about a trade. Multiple scouts at each others games on multiple nights including Bergy stayimg there for several days along with his AGM. Both GMs all but saying they’re talking. I mean you can’t really ask for more proof other than being on the calls with them.

Don’t know how you can say otherwise.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Whether or not a trade happens, it’s incontrovertible that they’re talking about a trade. Multiple scouts at each others games on multiple nights including Bergy stayimg there for several days along with his AGM. Both GMs all but saying they’re talking. I mean you can’t really ask for more proof other than being on the calls with them.

Don’t know how you can say otherwise.

Where did I claim otherwise?

Sure, I believe they are (or were) talking. But whatever discussions they had were centred so squarely in middle of our frames by media folks that we give it more attention than it warrants. What is happening outside the frame? How many hours has Bergevin spent on the phone discussing trades with Jim Nill and Lou Lamorello? What was Mellanby doing before meeting Bergevin in Denver, and what is he doing now? Does Bergevin have a history of visiting the cities of teams he's about to make an imminent trade with? Was he in NYI before acquiring Vanek? In Edmonton before acquiring Petry? Perhaps his daughter really was the main reason he was in Colorado and he decided to make a business call to catch up with Sakic while in town.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Where did I claim otherwise?

Sure, I believe they are (or were) talking. But whatever discussions they had have been centred so squarely in middle of our frames by media folks that we give it more attention than it warrants. What is happening outside the frame? How many hours has Bergevin spent on the phone discussing trades with Jim Nill and Lou Lamorello? What was Mellanby doing before meeting Bergevin in Denver, and what is he doing now? Does Bergevin have a history of visiting the cities of teams he's about to make an imminent trade with? Was he in NYI before acquiring Vanek? In Edmonton before acquiring Petry? Perhaps his daughter really was the main reason he was in Colorado and he decided to make a business call to catch up with Sakic while in town.
The media is covering it so much because it’s such a blatantly overt trade talk out in the open. So whether or not something happens is irrelevant. Trades fall through all the time and some better ones come out of nowhere and materialize quickly.
They’re watching each other and obviously working on something. I guess I just don’t get the skepticism on your side about this particular trade scenario.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
The media is covering it so much because it’s such a blatantly overt trade talk out in the open. So whether or not something happens is irrelevant. Trades fall through all the time and some better ones come out of nowhere and materialize quickly.
They’re watching each other and obviously working on something. I guess I just don’t get the skepticism on your side about this particular trade scenario.

It's not just this scenario. Not once, since I can remember, has a trade actually materialized on the heels of reports that a particular team's scout was in attendance, or that a GM/assistant GM/chief scout/whoever was spotted in another city. I'm sure I'm not the only fan to notice this but I just consider these kind of reports to be click bait at this point. Not that they aren't discussing trades, I'm sure they are. But in my view that doesn't make a trade any more likely to take place than any of the dozens of hypothetical trades that have also been discussed behind the scenes with other teams that have also been scouted. That's all. Not that it isn't fun to discuss and speculate.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
That LD is borderline atrocious.

Sakic was able to get a decent winger option in Burakovsky for a 2nd and 3rd but now he’s going to dangle one of his 2 best dmen for forward help?

I’m trying to understand the logic here.

I can’t recall a single reputable Rumor suggesting Girard was in play for Hall. It was actually rumoured that Joe didn’t want to include Timmins in a deal for Hall, but he’d trade Girard?

It’s far more logical that he trades Zadorov for forward help. Playing bottom pairing, still an RFA and likely a contract headache for the Avs.

And why is top 6 talent such a need that we need to trade our current top pairing dman for it? Top scoring teams in the league, one of the top 5 on 5 teams in the league.

Have you seen our LD? That’s a hall a fame left side in your roster.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I would do this deal if Sakic wanted Domi as a long term top 6 talent and not want to wait for Newhook to reach his prime.

- Domi
- Mete
- Grade B (Hillis or Olofsson)
- 2020 3rd (70-75 range)
for
- Girard
- Jost
- Newhook
- 2020 or 2021 1st (Lottery protection only)

Mete = Jost
Domi > Girard

Sakic would have to dig deep and give up Newhook and his late 1st. If he complains, I offer to throw in Kovalchuk. If Sakic still don't like it, I move on to other options. However, pretty sure he would be interested in Domi as a long term piece up front and his LD depth is a team strength

I like this trade, so it’s probably not fair value.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I would do this deal if Sakic wanted Domi as a long term top 6 talent and not want to wait for Newhook to reach his prime.

- Domi
- Mete
- Grade B (Hillis or Olofsson)
- 2020 3rd (70-75 range)
for
- Girard
- Jost
- Newhook
- 2020 or 2021 1st (Lottery protection only)

Mete = Jost
Domi > Girard

Sakic would have to dig deep and give up Newhook and his late 1st. If he complains, I offer to throw in Kovalchuk. If Sakic still don't like it, I move on to other options. However, pretty sure he would be interested in Domi as a long term piece up front and his LD depth is a team strength
And you called my proposal on the main trade boards bad for the Avs (when some Avs fans agreed that my proposal was close in value)... Lol, this is horrific for the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad