Value of: Tatar 50%

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Tatar seems to disappear in the playoffs
Tatar hasn't played on good playoffs teams. The Detroit teams he played on were trending down big time. With Vegas it just didn't work. I would love to see him on Boston, Edmonton, Colorado or Tampa Bay. I bet things would be a little different this time.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The original Tater trade was 1 2 3 with more control. 1 and 3rd line young roster player feels about right.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I could see Kreider but not Tatar, again just doesn’t seem like a guy contenders want but I admit I could be wrong. At the time Coleman was rumoured to be traded, have a look at teams like Boston or Colorado’s boards where they were begging for him, no teams fans are doing that for Tatar right now. Even Edmonton who he has been rumoured to are pretty luke warm on him. Managers might feel different though you never know.
Only one team will get Kreider. Tatar is by far the second best LW available (not even sure he is available, to be honest), and he's signed for cheap. At 50% retained, that would make him 20-25 goal/60+ points top line LW at a caphit of 2.65 M/per for 2 runs. St-Louis will certainly see a lot of value in that.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Honestly Tatar is our best player this year, I would love to keep him. I think he is so underestimate here that’s crazy. He is worth a late pick a top prospect and a 2nd

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Only one team will get Kreider. Tatar is by far the second best LW available (not even sure he is available, to be honest), and he's signed for cheap. At 50% retained, that would make him 20-25 goal/60+ points top line LW at a caphit of 2.65 M/per for 2 runs. St-Louis will certainly see a lot of value in that.
You could be correct I guess we will find out soon. I maintain if traded it won’t be for the Coleman return however I think he definitely gets less even though all Montreal fans would say he’s a better player.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
You could be correct I guess we will find out soon. I maintain if traded it won’t be for the Coleman return however I think he definitely gets less even though all Montreal fans would say he’s a better player.

But the fact remains... he's a better player! And by a fair margin. He's outscoring Coleman by... a lot. And he's been doing so and consistently for a long time. He's only a year older. His advanced stats are insanely better. He skates slower and does not PK, but that's about it. He's a real 1st line winger, and a good one at that.

At 50% retained, he'd cost about 865 000$ more than Coleman. I really fail to see why he'd get less than Coleman, especially with Bergevin track record selling assets. He might not be the best GM, but the guy gets value when he sells.

Just saw that Rantanen got injured... and Bergevin and Mellanby are at the game in Colorado tonight. I guess we'll see soon enough if someone really wants a first line LW! :)

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
But the fact remains... he's a better player! And by a fair margin. He's outscoring Coleman by... a lot. And he's been doing so and consistently for a long time. He's only a year older. His advanced stats are insanely better. He skates slower and does not PK, but that's about it. He's a real 1st line winger, and a good one at that.

At 50% retained, he'd cost about 865 000$ more than Coleman. I really fail to see why he'd get less than Coleman, especially with Bergevin track record selling assets. He might not be the best GM, but the guy gets value when he sells.

Just saw that Rantanen got injured... and Bergevin and Mellanby are at the game in Colorado tonight. I guess we'll see soon enough if someone really wants a first line LW! :)
A lot of players outscore Coleman, that’s not why he got such a big return, it’s also why Josh Anderson would get a lot more on the trade market than his stats would suggest. Like I said we will find out soon, it would really surprise me but I’ve been wrong before.

Personally as an Avs fan Tatar does not do it for me and I would be upset if he was traded for, but I would love Domi, even Drouin I could get behind but don’t think he would come cheap enough with what MB traded for him.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
A lot of players outscore Coleman, that’s not why he got such a big return, it’s also why Josh Anderson would get a lot more on the trade market than his stats would suggest. Like I said we will find out soon, it would really surprise me but I’ve been wrong before.

Personally as an Avs fan Tatar does not do it for me and I would be upset if he was traded for, but I would love Domi, even Drouin I could get behind but don’t think he would come cheap enough with what MB traded for him.
so u would like Drouin but be upset for Tatar??!?!? How does that even make sense? Is your rational solely based on the age gap? Cuz Tatar is much better now and puts in a much bigger effort on a gamely basis.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
so u would like Drouin but be upset for Tatar??!?!? How does that even make sense? Is your rational solely based on the age gap? Cuz Tatar is much better now and puts in a much bigger effort on a gamely basis.
Drouin would be the second choice after Domi but like I said I really doubt he comes cheap enough to make it worth while, the what if of a Mackinnon Drouin reunion has always been intriguing for Avs fans but the ship has likely sailed and the team could use less skill and more grit anyways. That and yes the age gap are big reasons why as Drouin has his own fair share of warts. Drouin also has actually looked good in the playoffs while Tatar has been pretty disappointing there. Also his contract is a better fit for Avs, Tatar’s cheaper second year doesn’t matter as much as Drouins term since the Avs will really need the cap space later on, that and Tatar’s next deal may not be a pretty one for his 30’s whole Drouin should just now be hitting his prime.

It’s not just the Avs though, no one seems to be really clamouring for this guy, that could just be incorrect fan perception however and the Vegas ordeal probably plays a big part in everyone’s mind. I’m just one guy though he could get more than I think, I did not think Zucc would get as much as he did last year for similar reasons to Tatar even if those conditions did nothing for NYR. To be honest sometimes the guy no one wants is the best deadline deal possible as he comes cheaper than what guys like a Coleman or a Hanzel cost due to incorrect bias.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I would not part nych for Tatar, we already know how he performs when traded to a contender...
Benched, he got benched .

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If I proposed Blake Coleman to Tampa for Nolan Foote + VAN 1st, everyone would've laughed and made fun of my post. HF evaluations are nowhere near how GMs think. Tatar would go for way more then fans of other teams on this website want to give up.

It was an overpayment for the Bolts but Coleman was a perfect fit for their needs and one of the few such players available with term at under $2M. I wouldn’t expect that to set the market.

Additionally Tatar, while having a career season, would not be a top liner for a contender and on some of them not even a second liner. And he’s not the sort of player who’s going to make a major impact playing in the bottom six. Nor is his playoff resume very impressive. I could see a borderline playoff team wanting him for their top six, but such a team also won’t want to give up much given the likelihood of them either going out early or, even worse, falling out of playoff position entirely and finding themselves giving up a lottery pick. That pretty much leaves a team like Pittsburgh or Boston with a solid but aging core looking to make a couple more runs before having to rebuild; the Pens already made their move so the number of suitors willing to pay a high price for Tatar is dwindling.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Coleman is the kind of player contenders love which is where the great value came from, Tatar at least to me is an odd fit on any contender this year. I could not see Tampa, Boston, St Louis, Vegas, Pittsburgh, Colorado, or Washington really trading for him but I could be wrong. Puts up points on bad to average teams but struggles when it really matters is my opinion of him but I admit the Vegas experiment heavily biases me on that one. I think if traded he will get less than Coleman did.

Then it would be good for you to check if that's actually true. Because he was already having worst season of his career in Detroit and if did check you would find out that he continued to produce as much in Vegas both during regular season and playoffs (and only difference is due to his PP usage in Detroit vs Vegas).

Tatar seems to disappear in the playoffs

Outside of his first playoffs he produced (at even strength) as much in playoffs as in regular season. Also while his numbers in 2015 and 2016 playoffs do not look extraordinary he was leading Detroit in playoff scoring (and that was with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nyquist playing all games too). That doesn't look like disappearing in playoffs.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I would not part nych for Tatar, we already know how he performs when traded to a contender...
Benched, he got benched .
Then i guess Tampa made a big mistake in giving up valuable assets for Coleman. We all know how Tampa performs in the playoffs.
ousted 1st rd,That's ousted in 4 straight.
That's how it works ...right.:facepalm:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

Hopefully Bergevin had enough class to not start licking his chops in front of Sakic when he went down.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
This Habs fan doesn't think that's enough for a 50% retained Tatar. You do know Avs 1st will likely be a very late pick...
You do know Timmins is a great D prospect and he could step up in the NHL very soon? Could very well replace Petry faster than you think.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
You do know Timmins is a great D prospect and he could step up in the NHL very soon? Could very well replace Petry faster than you think.
I'm not as high on Timmins. Timmins and 1st gets Tatar without any retention.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I'm not as high on Timmins. Timmins and 1st gets Tatar without any retention.
Pre -Coleman trade we probably take that and run even if we required retention. That trade could set the market or conversely could actually f*** it up. Supply might now go up for anyone on the fence thinking there’s a huge return awaiting them and then suddenly demand goes down until the TDL gets closer then just becomes a game of chicken where Tatar and Petry not being UFAs works in our favor if we don’t get what we want.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Puljujarvi + Samorukov + 2nd (becomes a first if Oilers pass 2nd round) for Tatar @50%?
That’s 2 mystery boxes for Montreal, maybe if there was also a condition that if JP doesn’t get at least 30 points in the NHL next season the 2nd also becomes a 1st but looking like a sellers market at the moment so would hold out for more.

CheeseMcCheese

Feb 22, 2018
I find it weird that people can defend the opinion that Coleman brings much more to a playoff team than Tatar as Coleman only played 9 PO games in his pro career (2 points in 5 NHL and 1 point in 4 AHL) where he didn't show nothing worth bragging. I do understand that is overall game seems made for PO, but there is no sample to justify this leap.
On the other hand Tatar might have underwhelming PO numbers in the NHL (9 points in 25 games), he showed massive upside in his lone AHL PO when he not only record 21 points in 24 games he also won the Calder Cup Finals MVP. The only argument against Tatar return is that I don't see many teams being able/wanting to pony up what it would cost to get him @50%.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Puljujarvi + Samorukov + 2nd (becomes a first if Oilers pass 2nd round) for Tatar @50%?

I think something like this is reasonable, depending on the condition and what Habs think of JP. I personally think he'd be worth it. Does he require waivers yet? I'd love to see him acquired and sent to Laval after his season in Finland to play with Kotkaniemi. Not sure what Habs management thinks of him though, they can be leery of players they deem to be "low character". To me, Habs need skill and scoring at a high level and JP has the tools to become an impact player. I think he's worth a shot but I don't have as much info as them.

I agree with the poster that suggested there may be a condition placed on JP as well. Not sure how that would work but I could see it.

I would personally be more interested in getting back a prospect/prospects that the org likes over a 1st. But with the prices so far it does seem pretty likely they'd be able to get a 1st +.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad